Taking the Knee for Black Lives Matter

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BEE428

Taking the Knee for Black Lives Matter

I was just wondering what peoples opinions are on this, I for one think sport should remain apolitical as you'll always inevitably end up alienating a large chunk of your fanbase. Apparently the fans started booing in an American Football game yesterday and viewing figures are being hit. Also it puts pressure on footballer's who don't agree with BLM's goals to defund the police etc
Prediction League Champion 2012/13 & 2013/14
Tuesds

Re: Taking the Knee for Black Lives Matter

If anyone seriously sees footballers taking a knee as an endorsement of ‘defunding the police’ they need to take a deep breath. That is an American slogan which is simply not part of the mainstream conversation in this country. I haven’t heard any UK sportsperson mention ‘defunding the police’ when talking about taking a knee, nor can I imagine anybody watching at home really views it as support for anything more ‘radical’ than a public show of support for racial equality and justice.

That’s not to say I think it should go on forever, I just worry about motives being ascribed to it that its supporters simply don’t have, in the hope of stoking some sort of further ‘culture war’ conflict or to undermine genuine calls for equality.

I don’t suggest for a moment that’s what you’re doing BEE428, but some parts of the media and lots of people on social media certainly are.

As for NFL viewing figures being down, that’s been a favourite line of Donald’s Trump’s ever since the first demonstrations. Yet they were up last year, and this year I think there’s only been one round of matches, so it’s a bit early to say!
ninestein

I personally see taking the knee in football as our sport's commitment to racial equality. The Kick it Out Campaign is still running and any opportunity to ram home the message should be taken. But like any slogan or message, it has a time limit before the message weakens somewhat. Right know seeing players do this is hard hitting. Maybe this season. After that, maybe a different symbol needs to be found.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
northantsbee

Nothing wrong with the sentiment but taking the knee is supporting the communist Antifa movement that are using BLM as a tool to further their own agenda. If the BBC have advised their staff to remove BLM badges, footballers should not be taking the knee
Going Indieground 7pm Tuesday, https://www.madwaspradio.com/
Beeboardwarrior

Taking the knee is absolutely the right thing to do...people are facing prejudice, discrimination and death because of the colour of their skin and it's right to make a stand. If you want to listen to Trump's deluded conspiracy theories feel free, but this is too important an issue to use them as an excuse to do nothing.
Mikel Bee

It's a small, symbolic gesture against racism. Doing it doesn't mean you endorse defunding the police, communism or anything other than opposing racism.

I was proud to see our players take part during the play offs. As others have said, there is probably a time limit to it so it doesn't lose its meaning.
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

ALL LIVES MATTER
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
hoppy

So what would happen if one player decided he didn't want to take the knee?
Would he be ostracised by his team mates?
Would he be selected for the next match?
What would be the reaction from fans and media?
It would be a brave player to stand up (literally) to his beliefs and not take the knee. For those players not comfortable in taking the knee it is probably too much of a risk to his career to be defiant.
hoofer2

Police brutality is inexcusable and there should never be a death caused by arrest or in custody. There is a wealth of evidence supporting the fact that discrimination against race or ethnicity across different levels of society in many workplaces (not all), to education system etc.

What is wrong is that George Floyd, a career criminal who was not a nice person is being treated as a martyr and a Saint. The police who contributed to his death deserve to be prosecuted with a long sentence.

A couple of my close friends are policeman. They are disgusted and horrified at the the violence used to apprehend some of the suspects. Once restrained, there was no justification. But they also explained how when they arrive at a scene of a potential crime or public disturbance: they have no idea if person is carrying a weapon, if person is injured or has problems with mental health, if person is alone or others involved, if person's behaviour is a consequence of an action from another, if person is a victim, a suspect or both. If felt a threat to public safety person needs to be isolated from scene.

Not a job I'd want to do.
Last edited by hoofer2 on 12 Sep 2020, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
BeeDeceived

hoppy wrote:It would be a brave player to stand up (literally) to his beliefs and not take the knee. For those players not comfortable in taking the knee it is probably too much of a risk to his career to be defiant.
Brave to show that they don’t want help eradicate racial inequality?!

This is Black Lives Matter the movement, not the organisation.
becbee

OB1 wrote:ALL LIVES MATTER
That's what I've said all along.

Also racial prejudice is not just white v black. I have heard some dreadful comments from ethnic minority people against other ethnic majorities. I was even on the receiving end some years ago.
becbee

BeeDeceived wrote:
hoppy wrote:It would be a brave player to stand up (literally) to his beliefs and not take the knee. For those players not comfortable in taking the knee it is probably too much of a risk to his career to be defiant.
Brave to show that they don’t want help eradicate racial inequality?!

This is Black Lives Matter the movement, not the organisation.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53838242
BeesKnees99

I think this topic has no place on a Barnet FC forum.

It gives the over-opinionated and/or ignorant a chance to shine...

So here I go — I’m sorry but this ‘take a knee’ thing should have run its course by now. At this point it’s just a token gesture / virtue signalling that serves to cause more division than unity.

Get politics out of football.
Mikel Bee

"Get politics out of football"

Anti racism campaigns aren't politics and are commonplace in the national game. We've had the 'Kick it Out' organisation in English football for decades.