R.I.P. Max Griggs

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
bucks bee

R.I.P. Max Griggs

Sad news of the death of the man who created the Rushden & Diamonds fairy-tale rise.

https://southern-football-league.co.uk/ ... 4/Sad-News
jonbonbaby

Re: R.I.P. Max Griggs

I grew up in irthlingborough where the ground was he did so much for the area , only for idiots to ruin his legacy

RIP max
boots

Nothing personal against the man but his football 'achievement' is nothing to be celebrated. Ru$hd£n & Diamond$ were a despicable affront to the sport, tinpot Manchester City but without the fans who believe they are actually a big club.
MCB

An odd club, I never really knew enough about the situation to understand if their demise was down to Max Griggs - their rise certainly was, but a lot of fans saw their club go bust. Is he a pariah or hero?
Norfolk & Chance

I remember an fa cup tie at Irthlingborough decades ago.
A tiny ground with Bees fans stood all around the edge.
Happy days.
BEEGONE

jonbonbaby wrote:I grew up in irthlingborough where the ground was he did so much for the area , only for idiots to ruin his legacy

RIP max
I thought he pulled his money out when his factories moved to China?

What happened?
Mickbee

People stopped wearing Doctor Martins simple as that really and that forced the move to China and cheap labour.
Norfolkbee

Mickbee wrote:People stopped wearing Doctor Martins simple as that really and that forced the move to China and cheap labour.
Doesn't look good when jobs are lost.
jonbonbaby

(As I understand it )Jobs were lost as a knock on effect of 9/11 , the Americans who placed the bulk of the orders simply cancelled about £20 million worth of orders as a knee jerk reaction . This forced them to moved abroad to lower production costs , the head office is still local , it wasn’t as simple as he just pulled the
Money out , he gifted the club to a supporters group , and gave them money over 3 years on a sliding scale ( for example 1 mil 1st year , 750k , 500k) this group then Mis managed or whatever abs sold out to somebody who’s only interested was the land , which he still hasn’t been able to get Planning permission on due to something max Griggs put on the land , that it had to be used for sporting purposes , so it just sits there as waste land now with only the old sports centre attached to it .