Vaccine Passports to attend matches

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BEE428

Vaccine Passports to attend matches

Just wondering what everyone's opinion on this is, I've been double jabbed but will no longer go if they bring in passports.
Prediction League Champion 2012/13 & 2013/14
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

Re: Vaccine Passports to attend matches

BEE428 wrote:Just wondering what everyone's opinion on this is, I've been double jabbed but will no longer go if they bring in passports.
Why punish the club for something out of their control?
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
rudebwoyben

OB1 wrote:
BEE428 wrote:Just wondering what everyone's opinion on this is, I've been double jabbed but will no longer go if they bring in passports.
Why punish the club for something out of their control?
Indeed.
This is not going to affect Barnet anyway, the proposal is for events where the crowd will be 20,000 and above.
chesbee

From what I read it would only affect the top 4 divisions
pletch99

That strikes me as a bit of a strange decision, which I could understand if the club made their own decision to require a vaccine passport, but it is totally out of the clubs control. I can completely understand that there is an argument against vacine passports on both freedom and discrimination grounds, but the people who makes the rules aren't going to notice that you choose not to go because you've got to produce a passport in order to get in. It seems a bit perverse to stop doing something you enjoy because of something that is completely unrelated. Personally, I'm undecided about whether I would support the idea of vacination passports, but I'm certainly not going to stop doing things that make my life more enjoyable, if I have to carry one. I'd definitely have a problem with a passport, if there is no exemption for people who cannot be jabbed on medical ground, but my protest will be directed at the politicians who make the rules, not my football team.
finchleyman

You should direct your ire at the selfish people who don't have the jab which is why it will be necessary to bring in vaccine passports.
Norfolk & Chance

finchleyman wrote:You should direct your ire at the selfish people who don't have the jab which is why it will be necessary to bring in vaccine passports.

Well said.
becbee

It only effects grounds with a capacity of 20,000+. It seems a sensible move to me although I'd have said that being compulsory should be Premiership and Championship grounds - as things stand, Premiership Brentford, which will presumably be vitually 100% full isn't affected ( capacity 17,250 ) but L1 Sunderland ( capacity 49,000) is.

But regardless of that little anomaly, why on earth would needing to show a Covid passport put you off attending? Personally I'd be only too happy to be certain that the person sitting/ standing next to me for 2 hours had definately been double jabbed and likewise for them to be confident in the knowledge that I had.
hoppy

A big "phew" from Notts County, their capacity is 19.841.
ninestein

Covid passports are (hopefully) to be a temporary measure in the grand scheme if things.
Also, if you're potentially a member/season ticket holder, you'd only have to show proof once during the application process?
It's the ad-hoc attendees who this will affect the most, but as has already been said, i believe this is only being brought in for PL down to L2 at this stage. Unless the NL decide to adopt the guidelines themselves of course...

Either way, for me I've no problem in showing the world I've had 2 doses of the AZ vaccine. I feel by doing that I've played my part in getting closer to normality. Normality to me means attending Bees games and going to see live music. This last 18 months has been shocking for all of us socially. If i have to show proof of the jabs to get my tickets for the next year or so, bring it on. Once I'm through the turnstile and there's 3 points at stake, vaccine passports will be the last thing on my mind.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
JWTBee

ninestein wrote:Covid passports are (hopefully) to be a temporary measure in the grand scheme if things.
Also, if you're potentially a member/season ticket holder, you'd only have to show proof once during the application process?
It's the ad-hoc attendees who this will affect the most, but as has already been said, i believe this is only being brought in for PL down to L2 at this stage. Unless the NL decide to adopt the guidelines themselves of course...

Either way, for me I've no problem in showing the world I've had 2 doses of the AZ vaccine. I feel by doing that I've played my part in getting closer to normality. Normality to me means attending Bees games and going to see live music. This last 18 months has been shocking for all of us socially. If i have to show proof of the jabs to get my tickets for the next year or so, bring it on. Once I'm through the turnstile and there's 3 points at stake, vaccine passports will be the last thing on my mind.
Well said! I'm in total agreement with you!
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
MCB

I completely understand the reluctance regarding vaccine passport and it does worry me about their greater use in society beyond international travel.

However, it's not Barnet FC's fault, and I wouldn't dream of boycotting a game and the vast myriad of things I might need it for as that would simply be hurting my club and ultimately myself.

If it's that important to you (and it is for very many people I know), then pop along to Downing Street on Saturday morning for a quick protest, token riot, then jump up to watch the Bees in the afternoon.
becbee

Well, it's academic as Barnet / NL won't be affected but quite honestly, I think that if vacine passports are what it takes to get some people to be vaccinated, then I'm all for them.
It's reported that some people just claim they can't be bothered being jabbed because they're fit and healthy and won't suffer much if they catch it - so sod anybody else. Why should the rest of us be put at risk?
DerekRocholl

88% of the adult population have had at least dose of the vaccine, by the time the season starts it will be well over 90% and most double jabbed. As long as there is a reasonable mechanism for immuno-compromised people to gain access, that would be the entire population of people I would want to be in football stadium with.

I would have no problem with showing a vaccine passport to gain ground entry any more than I have a problem having to present a ticket or card to gain access or being searched for weapons.
John Hunt

becbee wrote:Well, it's academic as Barnet / NL won't be affected but quite honestly, I think that if vacine passports are what it takes to get some people to be vaccinated, then I'm all for them.
It's reported that some people just claim they can't be bothered being jabbed because they're fit and healthy and won't suffer much if they catch it - so sod anybody else. Why should the rest of us be put at risk?
Other people however are genuinely fearful of the consequences to them of having a jab. I know a number of people at work like this. I offer them my opinion that it is advisable for them to have the jab but i cannot tell them to have it. Imagine if you did that and the low risk of something bad happening happens.

But having the jab doesn't stop you having the virus, or passing on the virus or suffering from the virus. As far as i can tell it just reduces your risk of the awful consequences of having the virus. So in terms of your attendance at a match what does this mean? It reduces your risk of suffering the worst consequences of getting the virus if you attend the match and somehow catch it. It doesn't mean you can't pick up the virus at the match and pass it on to someone more vulnerable who is not at the match.

Further it was mentioned in response to one of my comments that you are more likely to catch the virus at a supermarket. Is that really the case? At a supermarket you may be indoors but you are constantly on the move (unless you can't decide whether to go for the Chariie Bigham Lasagne or Thai Red Curry). At a match you may be sat next to somebody who has the virus for a couple of hours singing Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Army on repeat was we surge to a victory.

If you are travelling to games on public transport to avoid extortionate car parking fees you can be sat next to someone with the virus for however long it takes.

I want to go to football. It would do my wife good for me to be out and about and less grumpy but i fear it will take a while before i attend matches other than much lower than even my beloved Bees.
Last edited by John Hunt on 26 Jul 2021, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926