The embarrassment

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Ajtheone04

The embarrassment

I don't know if i'm misremembering words because i've read so many about whats happened in the past hour, but I feel like the club statement on our website was edited from what it originally said.
I think it was the mirror article who have said it was a member of backroom staff, however the official Stockport statement said it came from the 'home stand' AKA the Hive stand B which I've always thought is mostly players who aren't playing and family members of players who are playing.
Seen Stockport fans say on twitter that there was someone in a black Barnet tracksuit who was near Johnson at the time. I don't want to make false accusations or point false fingers, but the black tracksuit is only issued to players so there seems to be a lot of inconsistency across the witness accounts.
I think if this gets more serious the supporters association and we as a fanbase might have to do something about it.
Jimbokav1971

Re: The embarrassment

antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
ninestein

Unfortunately, as is the way with these kind of stories, no-one will be named in public. We have to trust that the club sticks to its values and investigates properly. Whether it was a player, staff member or supporter who was involved, give the club time to look into it and take the appropriate action.

I sincerely hope that the Mirror article is some way off the mark. They and the other tabloids have got form when it comes to making something sound more sensational than it really is. But that's not a total excuse as there's no smoke without fire. Another day where the club gets a bad press... whether its deserved or not remains to be seen.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that our club is an inclusive, tolerant, family club and for many years we've lived up to this with excellence, despite the results on the pitch.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
WhetstoneBee

These are the facts according to The Mirror (worth noting that the story is not by some junior sports reporter but by their assistant editor):

- A member of Barnet FC staff is accused of calling a black Stockport player a "monkey".
- That member of staff is the subject of an investigation that begins and ends within a few hours. He is, it seems, not suspended and turns up to work on Monday.
- The players, represented by their captain, say they are uncomfortable with him being there given the allegation made against him.
- The club management suspends Jamie Turley.
- The other players take a stand on behalf of their captain.
- Rather than trying to resolve the issue and respond to their concerns, the club tells some of the squad that they will be sacked if they don't back down.
- Asked about the situation, the Barnet chairman tells media that players who refuse to play are likely to face "heavy sanctions". Asked about Turley, he says it is "standard staff disciplinary procedure and good practice to allow for the appropriate investigation to be carried out", but fails to explain why this same process appears not to have been followed in relation to the staff member accused of racism.
- Our club is now in the national media accused of threatening to sack players for taking a stand against allegations of racism.

The club needs to urgently and fully explain its version of events because the story presented in The Mirror is appalling. Very little about how Barnet Football Club is run shocks me any more but this is so serious that it has. We need a much fuller explanation than the one provided so far and we need it quickly. Supporters deserve nothing less because this goes right to the heart of the values of the club we all support.
Last edited by WhetstoneBee on 01 Feb 2022, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Roy57

It is pointing more in the direction that the accusation by Stockport player is seemingly against a staff member and not supporter. As the report in the mirror and how club captain Turley reportedly said it would be better if this person was not at training on monday. And when he was and Turley and others complained. The outcome being Turley has been suspended. In other cases were a individual has been accused the club normally put out statement saying this individual will be dealt with by the club. But not us. again reportedly When players complained they were either threatened with the sack or as TK stated " players who refuse to play would be breaking the rules of the FA and breaking the rules of there contract".
Of course it's early doors. But instead of suspending the person in question until investigation has been carried out by the club. We reportedly piss off our players to the point that either all of many refused to play tonight.
gafferbee

LoringBee wrote:These are the facts according to The Mirror (worth noting that the story is not by some junior sports reporter but by their assistant editor):

- A member of Barnet FC staff is accused of calling a black Stockport player a "monkey".
- That member of staff is the subject of an investigation that begins and ends within a few hours. He is, it seems, not suspended and turns up to work on Monday.
- The players, represented by their captain, say they are uncomfortable with him being there given the allegation made against him.
- Rather than trying to resolve the issue and respond to their concerns, the club tells some of the squad that they will be sacked if they don't back down.
- Asked about the situation, the Barnet chairman tells media that players who refuse to play are likely to face "heavy sanctions". Asked about Turley, he says it is "standard staff disciplinary procedure and good practice to allow for the appropriate investigation to be carried out", but fails to explain why this same process appears not to have been followed in relation to the staff member accused of racism.
- Our club is now in the national media accused of threatening to sack players for standing a stand against allegations of racism.

The club needs to urgently and fully explain its version of events because the story presented in The Mirror is appalling. Very little about how Barnet Football Club is run shocks me any more but this is so serious that it has. We need a much fuller explanation than the one provided so far and we need it quickly. Supporters deserve nothing less because this goes right to the heart of the values of the club we all support.
Very well said.
This is one occasion where I would say the chairman could really have done with Dennis Signy close at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rudebwoyben

LoringBee wrote:These are the facts according to The Mirror (worth noting that the story is not by some junior sports reporter but by their assistant editor):

- Our club is now in the national media accused of threatening to sack players for taking a stand against allegations of racism.

This is indeed what it looks like. This looks appalling.
#Beebot

gafferbee wrote:

- Our club is now in the national media accused of threatening to sack players for standing a stand against allegations of racism.

Very well said.
This is one occasion where I would say the chairman could really have done with Dennis Signy close at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, an excellent post by LoringBee. However if you need an advisor to tell you that this is an atrocious way to respond to a racism allegation then that points to bigger problems. Everything we have done here absolutely flies in the face of what any reasonable person or organisation would do in this situation.
#Beebot

ninestein wrote:Unfortunately, as is the way with these kind of stories, no-one will be named in public. We have to trust that the club sticks to its values and investigates properly. Whether it was a player, staff member or supporter who was involved, give the club time to look into it and take the appropriate action.

I sincerely hope that the Mirror article is some way off the mark. They and the other tabloids have got form when it comes to making something sound more sensational than it really is. But that's not a total excuse as there's no smoke without fire. Another day where the club gets a bad press... whether its deserved or not remains to be seen.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that our club is an inclusive, tolerant, family club and for many years we've lived up to this with excellence, despite the results on the pitch.
Darren Lewis is a VERY experienced and well respected journalist, and he wouldn't put his reputation on the line by publishing any of this based just on hearsay.
Roy57

Bloody good post. Sums things that have happened since allegation perfectly. And spot on that TK feels it's clubs standard procedure regarding club captain Turley. BUT not for the one person this allegation was made against. This if not dealt with quickly and correctly could cause massive repercussions that the club may find hard if not impossible to get out from. Forgetting the side that any player we may of been interested in bringing to the club is more than likely blown that right out of the water.
s
king45bee

I just don't get TK. Whatever happened may not be criminal if police say so (given party gate shows they.do make mistakes) but the allegation was made whilst players were at work. It is very clear Barnet has failed in its duty of care to its employees by not investigating it would seem at all from what we know and then not offering an appeal if the employee concerned challenged the outcome as it would seem.

It could be construed as constructive dismissal the actions today but anyone who believed so would have to walk quickly to claim.

Such bad judgement all round - TK needs to get a grip.

Explains why Turley didn't go over to fans at end.

TK needs to act quickly and openly.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk
BeesKnees99

I see it’s time for our bi-monthly PR disaster.
MCB

According to the Guardian, the staff member involved has been named AND also suspended.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ged-racism
Kleanthous said Turley and Bartlett had been suspended on full pay pending an investigation. “A suspension is not in and of itself a disciplinary action or a reflection of guilt,” he said.
Beesting

What player would ever want to sign for this club. Talk constantly about getting recruitment right but that means nothing if you don't treat them well when they get here. Bad treatment of players has been existing for years. This club is on its knees
Jimbokav1971

This sounds like fisticuffs to me.

1st of all I thought Turley had slapped whoever it was because he has to do something to get suspended.

Then we are told in the guardian that the staff member is Bartlett and that he has also been suspended while investigation carried out.

The club are saying that Bartlett was cleared of the racism claim on Saturday, (so that's not what he is being suspended for), so the fact that they are both suspended make fisticuffs the likely cause.

No proof at all. Complete conjecture on my part.
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"