Floodlights (lack of)

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
mike_p

Floodlights (lack of)

Assuming that the flood lights are gradually failing, and not being switched off to save electricity, how long before we fail the lighting requirements? With all lights working we must be well above the required lighting.

On Saturday, out of 16 lights on each pole, the lights working were : NW 8, NE 10, SE 5, SW 9.
That's 32 out of 64, i.e. 50% working/failed. The SE corner looking very dim in night games.

Replacement bulbs must now be LED, and from what I've read, it's not just a question of replacing an incandescent/halogen with LED bulbs - new fixtures are required. Maybe the club is waiting until we have to make the change, then doing it all at once?
ETBee

Re: Floodlights (lack of)

On Saturday the thought crossed my mind that the ref might abandon the game, not because of rain but because it was getting so dark. The last thing we want is for the NL or FA to say that we can't play at the Hive until it's fixed. Not to forget NTN TV of course.
rudebwoyben

I thought that Tony K dealt with this issue in his Q & A with the supporters’ trust in the summer.
I don’t think we need be worried about the floodlights not meeting National League standards. The floodlights at Dorking were clearly much much worse than ours.
hoofer2

Just having one bulb per flood must be brighter than Dorking!!

I suspect redistributing bulbs across each pylon runs the risk of another going..
mike_p

rudebwoyben wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 16:05 I thought that Tony K dealt with this issue in his Q & A with the supporters’ trust in the summer.
I don’t think we need be worried about the floodlights not meeting National League standards. The floodlights at Dorking were clearly much much worse than ours.
Can you remember what he said? I don't know how far we are from the standard, but we're down 50% and it's only going to get worse.
rudebwoyben

I’ve had a look but can’t find the notes. Can any of the BFCSA people help on this?
mike_p

From what I remember, the floodlights at the south end would need moving when the south stand is developed - and that's when they would be repaired/updated. But that seems to be on hold.
letchbee94

ETBee wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 15:46 On Saturday the thought crossed my mind that the ref might abandon the game, not because of rain but because it was getting so dark.
Must admit that did cross my mind as well when it was starting to get a bit darker.
ninestein

As someone who works in the electrical industry, i can tell you that each "bulb" as we call it is in fact a separate LED floodlight in its own right. Each pylon simply has several floodlights mounted on the various poles.

When they are initially installed, each flood has to be aimed at a specific different pitch point to ensure coverage on all areas of the surface. That's why when some start to fail it can appear certain areas seem darker than others.

Gone are the days of simply replacing a lamp within the fitting itself. An LED failure often now means changing the entire fitting and re-cabling it into the junction box. Having said that, the LED floods do tend to last longer than the old-style lamps.

And it's those older lamps that had to be turned on gradually and warmed up. Newer technologies of lighting can get to full brightness a lot quicker.

The floods at the Hive have probably been in situ for 10 years now, so there will be failures and replacements required. But better to do them all as a one-off project given the labour required.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
pokal02

Is it established that 5/16ths of lights working (in the SE corner) meet minimum NL standards? I was at a recent lower-level game where 2 of the 16 bulbs were off and the ref postponed it at 7.44 due to 'health and safety' - we don't wan't a similar jobsworth turning up at the Hive and doing the same, it wouldn't be a good look especially id, say, Gateshead or Oldham fans had travelled.
jerroll

pokal02 wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 11:44 Is it established that 5/16ths of lights working (in the SE corner) meet minimum NL standards? I was at a recent lower-level game where 2 of the 16 bulbs were off and the ref postponed it at 7.44 due to 'health and safety' - we don't wan't a similar jobsworth turning up at the Hive and doing the same, it wouldn't be a good look especially id, say, Gateshead or Oldham fans had travelled.
Oldham will be the benchmark, if the lights aren't strong enough for Tv cameras that will upset the apple cart!
Patel89

Guys this is in the process you'll see changes hopefully in next 4 weeks!
becbee

Patel89 wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 13:07 Guys this is in the process you'll see changes hopefully in next 4 weeks!
Thanks for the update. However maybe it would be nice if the club told us such things on the O.S., rather than to rely on you to update those fans who read this message board and hope we pass the word on.
mike_p

Maybe they could fix the scoreboard too !
JWTBee

mike_p wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 13:56 Maybe they could fix the scoreboard too !
Apparently that's a possibility too!
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!