Ebbsfleet (Away) The Station Lift on Platform 3 Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
letchbee94

Re: Ebbsfleet (Away) The Station Lift on Platform 3 Match Thread

Was good to see Gorman back in starting 11.
Would like to see the goal Kabamba had ruled out again.

Not sure if Brennan rates Gilmore as he said that he aint signed a keeper to replace Walker.
#Beebot

letchbee94 wrote:Was good to see Gorman back in starting 11.

Not sure if Brennan rates Gilmore as he said that he aint signed a keeper to replace Walker.
Gillmore was signed as a long term replacement for Walker. 2025-26 is roughly when he is expected to step in if he progresses well.
Chainsaw

Just watched Nicke's goal again on Ebbsfleet's highlights. Fantastic skill and timing. What a player.
djhdjh

Disappointing game again. Thought Oluwo was a bright spot. Up against a tricky opponent in Poleon and totally marked him out of the game. Good to get Kabamba involved in the build-up play more as well. He's a goalscorer but he's more than just that.

Got to get it together though. Hartigan's been disappointing for weeks after his great start for us, too sideways with the ball and easily beaten without it.
Tuesds

DSM wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 13:45
Have no issue with his post match interview. He’s been very considered during the recent run and not criticised players much but after Tuesday there’s not much point denying that LW’s confidence is low. Last season he kept us in so many games and won us lots of points the most obvious being Woking away, this year he’s lost us more than he’s won us. That’s not to say after a few clean sheets that confidence won’t return he’s proven that he’s quality on his day
My issue is not with him stating the obvious in saying that Walker is low on confidence, it is him doing so having just blamed Walker for the goal and for our general malaise, commenting in a mocking tone that the one thing we can change to see games out is ‘the goalkeeper to make more saves’. He blamed Walker - and only Walker - personally for the goal, despite noting that he couldn't really see it; he obviously just saw enough to know it was Walker’s fault.

That’s the goal that happened after Oluwo/Collinge/Coker lost the first header, Okimo fluffed the second header, Kabamba didn’t stop the cross and neither Collinge nor Coker dealt with the cross, contriving to put it in their own net instead. But it was Walker’s fault. Oh and he’s low on confidence, by the way!

I‘m confident Brennan will steady the ship and get us winning again, I should add. We’re in a great position and I’m reassured by his confidence in stating he knows what we need. As others have noted he turned things round after a dreadful run last season, and he can do it again. He’s put together a stronger squad to do it with this time, too.

I also don’t think he necessarily needs a new assistant, and I don’t think he’s too stubborn - I think he’ll make necessary changes, as he did last year.

I just wish he’d stop publicly running down one of our best players, who is obviously struggling for confidence!
Last edited by Tuesds on 18 Dec 2023, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
becbee

I haven't the patience to listen to DB's interview, having read this it is ridiculous. He admits that he couldn't really see the goal. Nor could I but I could see that it was a scrambled mess and defenders were also to blame. If he took his blinkers off, so would he.

But even if the goal had been clearly 100% any one player's fault, don't publicly have a go at him. No player deliberately makes mistakes.

And of course none of this would have mattered had we not had what looked to be a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Ultimately no team however good can rely on going the entire match without conceding. The simple aim of football is to score more than you concede.
ETBee

One thing we know is that it is never DB's fault. It was not his fault that for weeks he kept the same formation and tactics which every team that played us could see through and exploit, even though a blind man on a galloping horse could see the problem.
hoppy

I’m sure I’ve backed that blind man on his galloping horse.
alanweufc

rudebwoyben wrote:
becbee wrote: 16 Dec 2023, 19:47 Did anybody see the rat(s) on the terraces?

The main stand is clearly intended for midgets.
I think only Grimsby has an older main stand. Were people that much shorter in 1920 than they are now? I’m 5ft 8in and hardly the biggest guy and there’s no way there’s enough legroom for me in that stand!
We are hoping to have a new ground built. The intention is to redevelop that whole (run down) area and include the new ground in that as a centre piece, which would help.in bringing us much closer to, if not fully, self sustaining. Cost would primarily be picked up by the developers.

Mind you that was the aim 18 months ago & good old planning permission is proving an issue. Updated plans are due to be looked at in the next council meeting, I believe. So even if it's all accepted, it's unlikely to be ready until 26/27 season at earliest.

Sent from my BV9900E using Tapatalk

alanweufc

And getting back to the game - thought 1dt half was pretty even ,- could easily have been 2-2 by half time. You largely controlled the 2nd half , but felt we just about deserved the helping hand from your defender. Not sure why your manager was critical of your keeper ,,- the ball came at him like a tracer bullet & I actually felt he made a really good attempt to save it & was slightly unlucky not to.

becbee

alanweufc wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 13:46 And getting back to the game - thought 1dt half was pretty even ,- could easily have been 2-2 by half time. You largely controlled the 2nd half , but felt we just about deserved the helping hand from your defender. Not sure why your manager was critical of your keeper ,,- the ball came at him like a tracer bullet & I actually felt he made a really good attempt to save it & was slightly unlucky not to.

Thanks for this, good to get a sensible report on what happened with your goal as opposed to nonsense from our manager who admits he didn't even see the goal properly.
letchbee94

#Beebot wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 19:51
letchbee94 wrote:Was good to see Gorman back in starting 11.

Gillmore was signed as a long term replacement for Walker. 2025-26 is roughly when he is expected to step in if he progresses well.
Gilmore looked decent in Middlesex cup game anyway.
WhetstoneBee

Just watched the highlights and have absolutely no idea why DB thinks Walker is at any fault for the goal. It comes from Collinge losing the initial header and then Okimo doing a terrible job of trying to clear the ball. The way that some players are immune from criticism and others get routinely blamed for things that aren’t their fault must be awful for team spirit and confidence. No wonder Walker is low on the latter.
becbee

Well, DB is always keen to tell us how they analyse every match so hopefully he will have now seem that his criticism of LW was unjustified. It would be nice to think that he might have apologised to him for his public criticism but doubt we will ever know.

IMO all he is going to gain from all this is raising interest from other clubs in signing LW and who would blame him if he decided he wanted away. Maybe DB should consider this.
11bee717

Maybe we should consider that DB and LW are both adults capable of a conversation and we can rest assured that they’ve spoken about the goal at length? A post match interview contains way too much emotion to be looked into at this depth.