Streaming

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
JWTBee

Streaming

Obviously streaming is hurting our Tuesday night attendances but by how much? Is there any way of knowing how many people are watching the stream that are Bees fans? I assume that NLTV know but is it in the public domain? Also how is the money generated shared between the two clubs? All to the home side(which it should be IMO) or split equally?
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
beew

Re: Streaming

JWTBee wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 17:14 Obviously streaming is hurting our Tuesday night attendances but by how much? Is there any way of knowing how many people are watching the stream that are Bees fans? I assume that NLTV know but is it in the public domain? Also how is the money generated shared between the two clubs? All to the home side(which it should be IMO) or split equally?
None of those options unfortunately.

The league takes 15% and then the rest is spread over the 72 clubs in the National league using a complicated formula. When you sign up for the service it asks what club you support, this is used as a main contributer, to the equation, but for instance, if a Chesterfield fan paid last night to watch our game, we would get very little of the money, and believe it or not Chesterfield would receive more.

This explains it

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/23249672. ... ue%20North
Tuesds

Not sure if it’s changed since, but when it was established, for each purchased stream the revenue was divided as follows:

🔸15% retained by the league for reinvestment

🔸25% distributed across the 72 clubs

🔸60% to the club you support (or across all clubs if you have no affiliation)

https://x.com/ollie_bayliss/status/1599 ... 07617?s=46

If I am reading that correctly, the distribution of funds is not related to the viewing figures for the games at all. In theory there could have been 50,000 watching the stream last night, but if none of them registered as Barnet fans when they set up their profile, we would not have received any of that 60%, only a share of the 25% which is distributed to all National League clubs (across all three divisions).

Meanwhile, if your profile says you’re a Barnet fan and you buy a stream and watch a game not involving Barnet (eg to scout a forthcoming opponent, laugh at Wealdstone etc.), Barnet FC will receive 60% of the fee you pay.
Anthony

Someone wrote on another forum that it was mentioned at their clubs AGM that the streaming is likely to be canned at the end of the season. It was only brought in because of Wrexham and it seems there isn't enough interest to sustain the model without their overseas support.
BRFBee

Anthony wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 18:26 Someone wrote on another forum that it was mentioned at their clubs AGM that the streaming is likely to be canned at the end of the season. It was only brought in because of Wrexham and it seems there isn't enough interest to sustain the model without their overseas support.
As an American supporter can they not? Unless we get promoted and then sure, of course.
Anthony

BRFBee wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 18:29
Anthony wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 18:26 Someone wrote on another forum that it was mentioned at their clubs AGM that the streaming is likely to be canned at the end of the season. It was only brought in because of Wrexham and it seems there isn't enough interest to sustain the model without their overseas support.
As an American supporter can they not? Unless we get promoted and then sure, of course.
I'm not sure what you mean?
#Beebot

Anthony wrote:
I guess Americans will want streaming to stay as they can't get to games. And if we get promoted, then it doesn't matter as we'd have iFollow which has been around for years now and isn't getting scrapped.
Anthony

#Beebot wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 18:49
Anthony wrote:
I guess Americans will want streaming to stay as they can't get to games. And if we get promoted, then it doesn't matter as we'd have iFollow which has been around for years now and isn't getting scrapped.
Yes, but the Wrexham money was being spread around other clubs in the National League (as per the other posts in this thread). So without them (as they are now not part of NLTV) then the system is not sustainable.

Of course if we get promoted it wouldn't matter to us in terms of being able to stream games, but that is again separate from the future of NLTV, which was the point I was making.
Tuesds

I would hope they’d try higher prices before scrapping it. It’s ridiculously cheap. I would be prepared to pay a good bit more for the service and they might find that others are.
#Beebot

Tuesds wrote:
I would hope they’d try higher prices before scrapping it. It’s ridiculously cheap. I would be prepared to pay a good bit more for the service and they might find that others are.
I reckon we probably do ok numbers. It's the clubs who have never played in the EFL who would really struggle.

For example how many outside the UK are paying to watch Oxford City v Fylde for example? It may well be in single figures.
BRFBee

#Beebot wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 18:49
Anthony wrote:
I've seen more Barnet matches in the last 2 years than the prior 20 years by a measure of probably.10:1.
Evanstribe

JWTBee wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 17:14 Obviously streaming is hurting our Tuesday night attendances but by how much? Is there any way of knowing how many people are watching the stream that are Bees fans? I assume that NLTV know but is it in the public domain? Also how is the money generated shared between the two clubs? All to the home side(which it should be IMO) or split equally?
I'm not sure it's obvious that streaming is hurting our midweek attendances at all.

That would suggest that there are a significant number of people in the following category: They live close enough to The Hive to attend, but aren't dedicated enough to have a season ticket or pay £22 - however they are invested enough to still pay £10 to watch a stream. That feels like a pretty small set of people. I can't imagine many fans would opt out of the live experience unless they had to.

Streaming only harms attendances if people were planning to go in the first place. So if someone has childcare commitments anyway, for example, then the stream is just bonus money for the club. That's obviously also the case with people in different cities, countries, physically unable to get to the game etc.

The National League have publicly indicated that attendances haven't notably declined since its introduction, and I think that's backed up by the numbers - our midweek crowds at The Hive have been poor since dropping back into the fifth tier, it's no different this season.
Tuesds wrote:
I would be very surprised if it gets scrapped - that would go completely against industry trends and would be quite a backwards step. As someone living outside the UK I'd certainly be absolutely gutted about it!
ETBee

Am I right in thinking that it is only in the NL that you can watch via a streaming service all non-Saturday 3.00pm games? So when we're promoted to L2 we'll not be so spoiled.
Underhill Glory

Evanstribe wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 22:16
I'm not sure it's obvious that streaming is hurting our midweek attendances at all.

That would suggest that there are a significant number of people in the following category: They live close enough to The Hive to attend, but aren't dedicated enough to have a season ticket or pay £22 - however they are invested enough to still pay £10 to watch a stream. That feels like a pretty small set of people. I can't imagine many fans would opt out of the live experience unless they had to.

Streaming only harms attendances if people were planning to go in the first place. So if someone has childcare commitments anyway, for example, then the stream is just bonus money for the club. That's obviously also the case with people in different cities, countries, physically unable to get to the game etc.

The National League have publicly indicated that attendances haven't notably declined since its introduction, and I think that's backed up by the numbers - our midweek crowds at The Hive have been poor since dropping back into the fifth tier, it's no different this season.
Tuesds wrote:
I would be very surprised if it gets scrapped - that would go completely against industry trends and would be quite a backwards step. As someone living outside the UK I'd certainly be absolutely gutted about it!
I would say from experience that is an oversimplified view of many supporter circumstances and does reflect those who are not part of the core who go every week. If 5000 can get to Manchester on a Tuesday night, half of that easily can get to the hive if they really wanted to. The matchday experience is not always better and the stream gives another reason to not attend in person. For families one single streaming pass can save a fortune.

The streams must not stop.
becbee

The streaming initially was NL matches but it was extended to cover NLN & NLS. That stopped recently, now they only stream some NLN & NLS matches, presumably the ones they think there might be a market for. Maybe that's the way it will go in NL also?

Do the L2 clubs still get live coverage via Player?