A bit of perspective needed

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
meden_820

Yes I know yesterday was a pile of turd and I'm not trying to say it wasn't, but lets get some perspective here.
Wind the clock back three years and remember where we were.
Hayes Lane the venue for a creditable 2 2 draw. Not bad I hear you argue. But unfortunately this was only our 13th point of the season after 25 games with a goal difference of -41. We ended up incredibly fortunate to not be in National League South.
Today we sit second in the league with a real chance of promotion having struggled a bit through a period where we've had half our first team out injured.
These players aren't perfect, but that's hardly surprising. If they were they wouldn't be at Barnet in the first place.
However, I would take every single one of them over a lot of the shower that has represented the shirt over the last few years.
As for Deano, again he's not perfect. How's about we bring Tim "minging" Flowers back or how about Harry Kewell?
You know what, we might stutter into the playoffs and we might not get to Wembley or get promoted but these boys need and deserve our support more than ever.
These players have delivered 20+ wins in two consecutive seasons and I can say I've enjoyed watching this team more than any other in the past 9 years.
Beat Eastleigh and Dorking and we're right back on track. Up the Bees 🐝
11bee717

Re: A bit of perspective needed

meden_820 wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 16:43 Yes I know yesterday was a pile of turd and I'm not trying to say it wasn't, but lets get some perspective here.
Hayes Lane the venue for a creditable 2 2 draw. Not bad I hear you argue. But unfortunately this was only our 13th point of the season after 25 games with a goal difference of -41. We ended up incredibly fortunate to not be in National League South.
Today we sit second in the league with a real chance of promotion having struggled a bit through a period where we've had half our first team out injured.
These players aren't perfect, but that's hardly surprising. If they were they wouldn't be at Barnet in the first place.
However, I would take every single one of them over a lot of the shower that has represented the shirt over the last few years.
As for Deano, again he's not perfect. How's about we bring Tim "minging" Flowers back or how about Harry Kewell?
You know what, we might stutter into the playoffs and we might not get to Wembley or get promoted but these boys need and deserve our support more than ever.
These players have delivered 20+ wins in two consecutive seasons and I can say I've enjoyed watching this team more than any other in the past 9 years.
Agree!!
Sam_BFC

To be honest I think most would agree.

People should by all means feel free to question and criticise team selection, tactical approach or whatever - that is what we are here for. But I’d also suggest some take a breath before throwing their toys out the pram when understandably disappointed that our team built on modest resources has come unstuck in a highly competitive league. That’s football.
tonbridgebee

meden_820 wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 16:43 Yes I know yesterday was a pile of turd and I'm not trying to say it wasn't, but lets get some perspective here.
Short memories in football all the time. As frustrating as it is, Chesterfield and Bromley are both struggling to string results together too. People seem to forget that football is meant to be competitive, the PL teaches us that football isn't a competition anymore, take the money spent out of the NL in most cases and results are fairly even, exactly how it should be.

As mentioned 20+ wins two years in a row, few clubs would like to take our place, at times be careful what you wish for, could easily be Torquay Utd with TK having buggered off after that point we could have ended up in the NLS.
PBBee

I think it’s fair to also say that the weaker teams in the division are so much better than in years gone by, you can argue the quality at the top may not be its strongest but there’s teams scrapping at the bottom that in 2015 let alone 2005 would’ve been nowhere near the bottom 4.

This time of year those teams are fighting for their lives (how many seasons did we pick up some great results fighting off relegation in March/April). Not ideal you may say that we have the bottom 3 to face (all at home) & 5 of the bottom 7, the other 3 games are against top teams.

We should’ve hammered Rochdale with so many chances yet created almost none against Bromley & Woking. Football for you!
Last edited by PBBee on 17 Mar 2024, 19:25, edited 3 times in total.
becbee

Great thread, the title says it all.

Whatever the outcome come the end of the season, we have had some good matches these last two seasons under Deano. The fact that is we will now view failure as being if we don't finish in the top 3. 21 other teams in NL would settle for that!
b4life

I love Deano because his passion shows he cares and he's fully invested in our team and our club. That might come over as being 'tetchy' or 'rude' sometimes but I don't mind at all. He's still learning too.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
DSM

This is a great thread and echoes the feelings of most of our fans.

I’d rather brennans passion than kewell’s mundane bland comments or John still telling us every week that despite a rubbish start to NL life Luton started worse and got promoted.

Eastleighs confidence must be shot we just need to cheer the team onto 3 points.
Shmulib100

100%
b4life

If you are at all 50/50 about attending tomorrow, then have a word with yourself! Bring a friend! We need as many supporters at every home match from now on. Come on you Bees!
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
JWTBee

A great thread! I echo all of the sentiments expressed.Sadly I can't attend tomorrow because I have made alternative arrangements thinking that there was no game scheduled! However I will be at The Hive on Saturday giving the boys my full support!
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
Berlinbee

I have to say, I disagree somewhat with the sentiment of this post. We’ve won this division more times than anyone else (joint with Macclesfield) and have played in the football league more in our recent history than a lot of clubs in this division. I expect and hope others feel so too, that we should be challenging at the top of this league every season, to try and get back into the football league. Heck, I’d expect us to be challenging for the play-offs in League Two if we ever go up. After all, we did so on several occasions in the 90’s before our relegation in 2001.

I’d say 3 years ago, we suffered a recruitment glitch with some bad decisions by TK in terms of Peter Beadle, Tim Flowers and Harry Kewell and the players each of those ‘managers’ brought in. It should be erased from memory, not used as a post of reference as if we’re fortunate to be challenging this season. If anything, it’s clubs like Bromley who only in 2008 were promoted to The Conference South, who should be pinching themselves and seeking perspective when their fans are disappointed after a lacklustre performance or having dropped points. 2008. Could I remind people that in 2008 we were competing in League Two and had Albert Adomah and Yannick Bolasie on the wings? The season beforehand we had Jason Puncheon. That’s football heritage, as Mourinho said during his tenure at Man Utd.

Brennan should of course be commended for transforming the squad to be back challenging up at the top but we shouldn’t behave as if we’re lucky to be doing so. It’s order restored in my opinion.

Now with this season we’re having and with this current group of players, we should believe we are good enough to go up. We are and that’s the expectation. The expectation should be for the players to perform like a side who’s second and going for promotion and fans (without huge exaggeration) are right to feel disappointed or upset when we can’t get a result at Woking or how inconsistent we’ve been at times this year. Brennan and the management team would probably agree, such is the expectation they’ve set from the group of players. We need to get back in the football league.
becbee

If you want to claim there's some natural order to where we " belong" solely based on past "glories, why should we be more successful than Rochdale, Oldham, Hartlepool, Torquay, Southend etc? Similar could be said about clubs in every division.
Berlinbee

becbee wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 18:07 If you want to claim there's some natural order to where we " belong" solely based on past "glories, why should we be more successful than Rochdale, Oldham, Hartlepool, Torquay, Southend etc? Similar could be said about clubs in every division.
I’m pretty sure those fanbases, particularly those who get crowds of over 5,000 fully expect themselves to be playing at a higher division and rightly so. My point is, there’s a tinpot element of our fanbase that seems grateful to be where we are because we once played in the Alliance Premier or The Southern league over 50 years ago. It’s a tinpot attitude
Beeboardwarrior

Sadly, I think a lack of perspective is symptomatic of the modern football fan. This is the same at every club, where a section of the support expect to win every game and then rage at the players / manager / chairman when it doesn't happen. We live in a society where self-absorbed, entitled, superficial attitudes are normalised by social and mainstream media. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion about their team, but I generally hold the opinions of those who commit the most in the highest regard. If you follow the team home and away, you have a more accurate perspective on the team than someone like me, who doesn't. I often find that when speaking to these fans, they express cautious optimism, rather than an unrealistic expectation about our prospects. We all want the same thing and don't like to lose, but it's also important to remember to enjoy the relatively good times, as everything in life is cyclical and they might not last forever.