Oxford City (THTS) The Match Thread Trolling Away The Stones

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
WhetstoneBee

Re: Oxford City (THTS) The Match Thread Trolling Away The Stones

Not a vintage performance but did the job against a team that defended pretty well. Didn’t think any of the players that came in impressed particularly. Gorman on the other hand gets better and better - I think he’s improved a lot even in the time he’s been with us - and Stead is also developing into some player. As others have said, thought Brunt was excellent when he came on.
BeesKnees99

LeftSideRun wrote:
Itsmeerc wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:39 Penalty decision was shocking but apart from that I didn’t think she was particularly worse than the average of what we get at this level (i.e. not very good). Penalty was arguably more on the lino on the legend’s stand side but he missed absolutely everything.
Completely agree.

At least she was willing to book players for dissent. She should've given two yellows to their number 14 though.
I am well and truly baffled that people are actually defending the referee’s performance.

“She was willing to book players for dissent” - yes, including our players & Connor Smith, after we quite rightly complained about the worst penalty non-award I’ve ever seen.

Dean himself addressed it at the end of his interview today, and he’s spot on.
pokal02

My maths says we still need 6 points if Gateshead win all their games & Bromley all except Gateshead.

Presumably Fylde v Gateshead will have to be played tomorrow or Wed to avoid Gateshead playing 3 times in the final week?
LeftSideRun

djhdjh wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 18:06 On the referee, I liked that she let the game flow and I wish more referees would give out cards for dissent. But if you miss a stonewall penalty, unfortunately that will get noticed. The fella against Dorking missed 2!
True. I think that guy heard you can only give 1 per game.
LeftSideRun

Great that they do an awards thing but anyone know why it was today and not after the last league game on the 20th April?
john dockers shorts

Got the 3 points, thought Freeman was useless and came to life once Brunt came on.

Excellent ref performance I thought. Let the game flow didn't get fooled by Gorman throwing himself over the ball like he does so often.

Decent turnout for the awards
AidanGRH

A comfortable afternoon. Oxford City looked very much like a rock bottom of the table team. Brunt was exceptional when he came on. Really liked the way Keeley swept up as well. 1st time I've seen him live.

Unfortunately, referees at this level tend to be very poor. I can recall watching a long haired Graham Poll ruining Saturday afternoons back in the early nineties at this level.

Today 5 booked for dissent on the pitch, yet they were all rightly aggrieved at bad decisions. And maybe the worst was pulling play back to book Gorman and denying Oxford City a good break when they had us short of numbers. No excuse not to count to three to see if an advantage should be played.

Hopefully the referees don't get involved in deciding playoff games. Terry Heilbron at Colchester will never leave me.
I want to be good, is that not enough.
jerroll

pokal02 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 18:13 My maths says we still need 6 points if Gateshead win all their games & Bromley all except Gateshead.

Presumably Fylde v Gateshead will have to be played tomorrow or Wed to avoid Gateshead playing 3 times in the final week?
Gateshead max points 84 so we need 7 more as their gd will likely be better than ours with 5 wins. Bromley max points 86.
FredBee

AidanGRH wrote:A comfortable afternoon. Oxford City looked very much like a rock bottom of the table team. Brunt was exceptional when he came on. Really liked the way Keeley swept up as well. 1st time I've seen him live.

Unfortunately, referees at this level tend to be very poor. I can recall watching a long haired Graham Poll ruining Saturday afternoons back in the early nineties at this level.

Today 5 booked for dissent on the pitch, yet they were all rightly aggrieved at bad decisions. And maybe the worst was pulling play back to book Gorman and denying Oxford City a good break when they had us short of numbers. No excuse not to count to three to see if an advantage should be played.

Hopefully the referees don't get involved in deciding playoff games. Terry Heilbron at Colchester will never leave me.
I remember giving a lift a while back to a friend who is an ex Barnet player from the late eighties, we discussed good refs / bad refs from the era. I got to Graham Poll, the response was a gentle shake of the head and he quietly said ‘hopeless’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
becbee

John Hunt wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:51
BeesKnees99 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:45
John Hunt wrote:"Finally, a note on the referee - she was absolutely shocking." - Beesknees said.

No she wasn't.

Have you ever tried to referee a game?
Sorry, I didn’t realise I needed to attempt a refereeing career before commenting on the referee’s performance.
You don't but it might help you understand things better and have a bit of empathy with them.

As spectators we see things from a different angle which may or may not be advantageous.

I think all players should take a refereeing course actually particularly academy players. If their dreams of playing do not come to fruition it is an alternative career pathway.
Were you at the match to witness her performance? I have never refereed a football match in my life but it doesn't mean I don't understand how refereeing works. Or that I cannot recognise incompetence.

She seemed fine in the first half, she let everything go for both sides. During the first half it occurred to me to think how she'd never give Oxford a penalty, I didn't realise she'd already decided she'd never give either side a penalty. She'd have been better if she'd been prepared to accept that players are human and might question her decisions, players objected so she booked them. Good thing the Sin Bin for dissent never came into force.

You talk about empathy, she certainly didn't have any.
Last edited by becbee on 01 Apr 2024, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Mikel Bee

The penalty shout should have been a penalty in my opinion but other than that I can't remember the referee doing anything wrong or being surprised by any decisions. The linos got the offside calls spot on as well. As others have said, it was nice to see the game be allowed to flow.

3 points closer to the target. One win should guarantee top 3 from here.
Doyley

I thought she was fine in the first half as is stated earlier in the thread, but second half not good, thankfully didn’t affect the points
Roy57

LeftSideRun wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 18:15 Great that they do an awards thing but anyone know why it was today and not after the last league game on the 20th April?
Must agree, when I read on clubs Twitter account that the players awards were going to be held after today's game I found this very strange, cannot remember the date we normally do this, but with so much still at stake including the play offs why now and not after the Kiddiminster game on the 20th April.it's not like we would have trouble booking the venue.
Chainsaw

hoppy wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:18 I think the announcer said 1922.
That's correct. I counted 43 in the away stand. I applaud each and every one of them.
becbee

Roy57 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 18:59
LeftSideRun wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 18:15 Great that they do an awards thing but anyone know why it was today and not after the last league game on the 20th April?
Must agree, when I read on clubs Twitter account that the players awards were going to be held after today's game I found this very strange, cannot remember the date we normally do this, but with so much still at stake including the play offs why now and not after the Kiddiminster game on the 20th April.it's not like we would have trouble booking the venue.
Today seemed early when it was announced but in reality I don't see how it could have been after the final match of the season.
It was a very good occasion and very well supported, I don't remember so many fans being in attendance, certainly not in recent seasons.