Halifax

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
John Hunt

Re: Halifax

becbee wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 09:17 What strikes me is that when they knew the league season was finishing earlier, surely they should have also brought forward the F A Trophy? It's a contributory factor in Gateshead's pile up, it could have caused us and Bromley problems when we had to play last night instead of last month. I know the main issue is weather but even just a few less postponements having to be fitted in now could have helped. The final could have stayed 11th May.
You really don't like the FA Trophy do you? (!)

It is a show piece that should be played towards the end of the season in my mind.

The rain would have taken place irrespective of when these matches were scheduled. It is unfortunate for the clubs involved. They can't help the weather but they can do the best they can to ensure that their pitches cope.

C'est la vie!
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
jerroll

becbee wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 09:17 What strikes me is that when they knew the league season was finishing earlier, surely they should have also brought forward the F A Trophy? It's a contributory factor in Gateshead's pile up, it could have caused us and Bromley problems when we had to play last night instead of last month. I know the main issue is weather but even just a few less postponements having to be fitted in now could have helped. The final could have stayed 11th May.
Fylde game was off on Easter MondayAldershot game was postponed due to the FACup so only 1 game due to Trophy to fit in! Trophy started 9th September and before that clubs had to fit in FA cup preliminary/qualifying games!
jerroll

Quote from a Fylde fan on https://www.footballforums.net :-
Cannot see this game going on tomorrow between us and Gateshead. It’s rained for 4 days non stop. No idea where they’ll fit it in though because Gateshead have games coming out of their ears
ninestein

Just settle it now on points per game...

Or what about a good old fashioned Sunday league solution... a double header! 2 games in 1 day on the "other" pitch
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
John Hunt

ninestein wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:37 Just settle it now on points per game...

Or what about a good old fashioned Sunday league solution... a double header! 2 games in 1 day on the "other" pitch
That'd be a home and away fixture v the same side on the same day wouldn't it Dan?
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
becbee

John Hunt wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 09:28
You really don't like the FA Trophy do you? (!)

It is a show piece that should be played towards the end of the season in my mind.

The rain would have taken place irrespective of when these matches were scheduled. It is unfortunate for the clubs involved. They can't help the weather but they can do the best they can to ensure that their pitches cope.

C'est la vie!
I don't particularly care about it but that's not my issue here.
I agree that the final should be on 11th May as a show piece to the season. I equally don't think it's the main reason for the problem here - after all, Halifax were knocked out some time ago. Our match v Bromley hasn't been a problem for us to rearrange for last night but it does mean Bromley have a match next week. Gateshead would have had postponements regardless, they've just had more because of the FAT.

I just think that if the FAT rounds were played a bit earlier it would have helped, or the matches should be midweek to start with. Not even every season but when the league season has been brought forward because of Wembley availability, then so could the FAT.

Hopefully next season there won't be an early finish or monsoon type weather in April. Even better would be if we didn't have any involvement in NL fixture lists or FAT!!!
ninestein

John Hunt wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:55
ninestein wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:37 Just settle it now on points per game...

That'd be a home and away fixture v the same side on the same day wouldn't it Dan?
Never mattered on a Sunday. Everyone played in the same park. All the pitches needed the nets pegged down and the dog mess clearing!

I wonder what stance the league will take on this. Playoff positions need to be decided for the eliminators and the final date at Wembley can't be moved. Every day which ticks by is making the problem more urgent. The final round of games is only 10 days away. Something's got to give. Either the games are played in a short space of time at alternative venues, or it has to be PPG to decide final positions. If our game vs Halifax is lost to the weather, they need to either re-arrange for Sunday, or it will need to be Thursday night, as they already host Ebbsfleet on Tuesday night.

Is there anything in the league's constitution to cover this sort of issue? If not, the NL board will have to meet quickly and give a solution.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Tuesds

ninestein wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 12:23 … our game vs Halifax is lost to the weather, they need to either re-areange for Sunday, or it will need to be Thursday night, as they already host Ebbsfleet on Tuesday night.
If it’s Thursday night, we’ll have a long journey in the early hours of Friday morning and then another game - possibly a crucial one - at 12:15 the day after. Even with rotation the risk of picking up injuries going into the play-offs would be very high.
jerroll

Tuesds wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 12:28
ninestein wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 12:23 … our game vs Halifax is lost to the weather, they need to either re-areange for Sunday, or it will need to be Thursday night, as they already host Ebbsfleet on Tuesday night.
If it’s Thursday night, we’ll have a long journey in the early hours of Friday morning and then another game - possibly a crucial one - at 12:15 the day after. Even with rotation the risk of picking up injuries going into the play-offs would be very high.
Their Oldham game is more likely to be fitted in on that Thursday
beew

Unless Halifax have another Rugby game scheduled before Saturday our game should be OK. but Halifax have 2 more games to play at home Tuesday (Ebbsfleet) and Thursday (Oldham). I can't see how they could rearrange our game. The NL need to start hiring out alternative grounds, starting with our game on Saturday otherwise their schedule is broken.
jerroll

beew wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 12:54
Unless Halifax have another Rugby game scheduled before Saturday our game should be OK. but Halifax have 2 more games to play at home Tuesday (Ebbsfleet) and Thursday (Oldham). I can't see how they could rearrange our game. The NL need to start hiring out alternative grounds, starting with our game on Saturday otherwise their schedule is broken.
There are other factors to consider , 1 cost of ground hire, 2 does it meet NL grading and a pitch in suitable condition, 3 does it have suitable segregation, 4 suitable medical cover, 5 catering and steward availability & 6 are the police happy for game to go ahead at that particular ground.
beew

jerroll wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 13:02
There are other factors to consider , 1 cost of ground hire, 2 does it meet NL grading and a pitch in suitable condition, 3 does it have suitable segregation, 4 suitable medical cover, 5 catering and steward availability & 6 are the police happy for game to go ahead at that particular ground.
I think its reached a point, that if they can't meet those factors, the game will be played behind closed doors. Although there are several grounds within an hour of Halifax that could meet those requirements and the medical staff police shuldn't be a problem. The cost factor is down to Halifax/National League/Calderdale council.

There's no rugby planned but I noticed they only play on Sundays in the Rugby league. Why didn't they postpone the game last Sunday to protect the pitch.
jerroll

beew wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 13:12
I think its reached a point, that if they can't meet those factors, the game will be played behind closed doors. Although there are several grounds within an hour of Halifax that could meet those requirements and the medical staff police shuldn't be a problem. The cost factor is down to Halifax/National League/Calderdale council.
behind closed doors no chance - not fair on our travelling support who travel length & breadth of this country following their team! ground availabilty depends on who has a game already scheduled on their pitch!!
Last edited by jerroll on 10 Apr 2024, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
jerroll

beew wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 13:12

There's no rugby planned but I noticed they only play on Sundays in the Rugby league. Why didn't they postpone the game last Sunday to protect the pitch.
Because it was fit to play Rugby league on and the match referee passed it fit!
Guiseleybee

Bradford Park Avenue with their plastic pitch looks like the best solution for Halifax’s games against both us and Ebbsfleet. Not sure it’s a big enough ground for managing for their Oldham match though.