aclassman

LUKE GARRARD to leave wood

LUKE GARRARD and Borehamwood are to part company at end of season
rudebwoyben

Re: LUKE GARRARD to leave wood

Hunter kills his son.
Itsmeerc

I've always hated our games against Borehamwood, particularly at their place, and I'm not a fan of the way they go about games of football, but it must be said, the job he has done for them over the years has been outstanding. As club statements go, it's also a hell of a send off.
Last edited by Itsmeerc on 02 Apr 2024, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Tuesds

It’s right that the owner should pay tribute to the brilliant job Garrard has done, but their collapse has been so dramatic in recent weeks that I can’t help but think that if they are going to get rid of him they should do it now in the hope of benefitting from a Martin Allen-esque new manager bounce.
becbee

That is quite some statement !
john dockers shorts

Hope they don't go down , local game. Always thought Garrard came across as a decent guy. I find it hard to dislike Bwood
John Hunt

john dockers shorts wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 14:09 Hope they don't go down , local game. Always thought Garrard came across as a decent guy. I find it hard to dislike Bwood
If they stay up it still won't be a local game for us next season hopefully!
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
Sam_BFC

It will be interesting in time to hear from Hunter and Garrard where they feel they went wrong this season. An aging squad I suspect has had something to do with it.

It will also be interesting to see where he goes next.

Who knows this might be what they need to make a good fight of the last few games.
hoofer2

Brunt deciding on Bees over Wood. Perhaps other targets also decided not to join.

They have had a great record in finding productive and effective strikers. But this season did not find one - and Tshimanga not up to previous levels
b4life

Hopefully, they'll be a whole division between us and them next season. They've over-achieved in recent years, so back to their level next season probably.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
tonbridgebee

hoofer2 wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 15:03 Brunt deciding on Bees over Wood. Perhaps other targets also decided not to join.

They have had a great record in finding productive and effective strikers. But this season did not find one - and Tshimanga not up to previous levels
Depends how you class productive and effective. Having done research for a piece recently only one striker in the last six years has hit 20 goals and a few of their top scorers fail to hit even double figures.

Great records at not conceding too many, but with that falling down this season therein lies their issues.
tonbridgebee

For me I felt their cycle of Garrard and the Wood had gone beyond. Hunter's pre-season interview was most telling for me, and the season has panned out for them as I expected.

Poor summer recruitment to replace those who left, a style that never changes. The game evolves year on year, they simply haven't. Records show they generally have a poor year after a play-off season, only once though have they been close to relegation, a bridge too far this year for me.

Garrard I like, nice guy having met him but too long at a club as well considering managers don't stay long anywhere, no doubt he'll get another gig, not convinced it's beyond the NL tho.
hoofer2

tonbridgebee wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 15:26
hoofer2 wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 15:03 Brunt deciding on Bees over Wood. Perhaps other targets also decided not to join.

Depends how you class productive and effective. Having done research for a piece recently only one striker in the last six years has hit 20 goals and a few of their top scorers fail to hit even double figures.

Great records at not conceding too many, but with that falling down this season therein lies their issues.
True - Stephens, Fyfeld, Ashmore etc.
Tuesds

tonbridgebee wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 15:26

Yep, when attacking players leave the very rigid Boreham Wood system it’s like the handbrake comes off. Look at Zak Brunt - 49 games last year and just 2 goals from open play + 1 pen, this year for us he’s played 45 games and got 7 goals already, all from open play. Josh Rees played 43 games last year and scored 5 goals, while for Daggers this year he’s got 16 in 42. Tshimanga was prolific for Wood, but on moving from there to Chesterfield he went from a 1-in-2 goal ratio to a goal-a-game.

Yes Brunt has a slightly different role for us, playing in an advance position as part of a midfield 3 or 4 rather than as one of 2 centre-mids in a 4-4-2, but it’s a trend that’s there across lots of cases.
Norfolkbee

Funny how things change in football. It wasn't that long ago that Garrard's name seemed to go into the frame every time the Barnet manager's job became vacant. It would interesting to know if he ever actually applied for the position or if TK ever tapped him up.
Granted his "football" wasn't to everybody's taste, but he would surely have been preferable to some of the individuals that filled the job prior to the switch of DB to the head coach role. I'd go as far as to say that, had LG arrived between Covid and DB's arrival, a large number of us would've been turning somersaults. Indeed, the appointment of LG as head coach instead of DB would probably been seen as a result by some at the time.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 04 Apr 2024, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.