Big games tonight

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolkbee

Re: Big games tonight

rudebwoyben wrote: 02 May 2024, 09:48 Both looked very tight games. Enfailed’s goal came from a long throw by ex-Bee Joe Payne.
Finchley played well in the 1st half but fell away a bit in the 2nd.
Massive crowds in both ties. Enfailed’s biggest ever and I’d never seen so many Finchley fans before!
Joe Payne, was he the young lad that Martin Allen suddenly promoted to the senior squad because he had a very long throw?
pgbee

Horsham dominated first half, Chatham second half, went ahead in second period of extra time , Horsham equalised with a superb strike about 5 minutes from end then lost the shoot out 4-3. Both goalkeepers took penalties, first time I've seen that in the first five. Theirs took the first one and blasted it over, ours scored the 4th taken, captain had fifth saved and they scored their last.
rudebwoyben

Norfolkbee wrote: 02 May 2024, 09:59
rudebwoyben wrote: 02 May 2024, 09:48 Both looked very tight games. Enfailed’s goal came from a long throw by ex-Bee Joe Payne.
Massive crowds in both ties. Enfailed’s biggest ever and I’d never seen so many Finchley fans before!
Joe Payne, was he the young lad that Martin Allen suddenly promoted to the senior squad because he had a very long throw?
The very same! He’s been at Enfield for the past couple of seasons.
pgbee

rudebwoyben wrote: 02 May 2024, 10:19
Didn't he also score a very long range effort from near halfway?
pletch99

I went to the Salisbury vs Gosport play off last night. Dreadful game with a dramatic ending. With two minutes left Gosport were coasting to a scrappy 1-0 win, then Salisbury scored with a low long range effort that was their first worthwhile effort on target in the entire game, then a minute into stoppage time they were awarded a penalty for looked to me to be a dive AND outside the box.

Big crowd at this one (2,300+) for the level.
Tuesds

pgbee wrote: 02 May 2024, 10:49
rudebwoyben wrote: 02 May 2024, 10:19
Didn't he also score a very long range effort from near halfway?
Yes, against his future club:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/vi ... line-video
rudebwoyben

pletch99 wrote: 02 May 2024, 11:35 I went to the Salisbury vs Gosport play off last night. Dreadful game with a dramatic ending. With two minutes left Gosport were coasting to a scrappy 1-0 win, then Salisbury scored with a low long range effort that was their first worthwhile effort on target in the entire game, then a minute into stoppage time they were awarded a penalty for looked to me to be a dive AND outside the box.

Big crowd at this one (2,300+) for the level.
There was 2,255 at Enfield and over 3,000 at Chatham. Lots of massive attendances for these play-offs.
Reckless

How many more times that word is not allowed on here. Its spelt wrong as well.
hoppy

Any preferences for which team wins the NL Pay Off Final?

I think it would be quite amusing if Solihull got promoted. Their ground and facilities will certainly provoke much debate and comment from the other EFL fans.

Bromley, of course, will have to rip up their artificial pitch and play their matches on grass like all other EFL clubs. And they will also have to invest heavily in new toilets/portaloos.

I always thought that the grounds of NL clubs had to be up to a certain standard. I was obviously wrong. Until the NL starts to enforce the minimum standards for grounds the EFL will never agree to two automatic promotion spots.

Anyway, on balance I will be cheering (or to be more precise, loud whispering) for Solihull.
jerroll

hoppy wrote: 03 May 2024, 07:41 Any preferences for which team wins the NL Pay Off Final?

I think it would be quite amusing if Solihull got promoted. Their ground and facilities will certainly provoke much debate and comment from the other EFL fans.

Bromley, of course, will have to rip up their artificial pitch and play their matches on grass like all other EFL clubs. And they will also have to invest heavily in new toilets/portaloos.

I always thought that the grounds of NL clubs had to be up to a certain standard. I was obviously wrong. Until the NL starts to enforce the minimum standards for grounds the EFL will never agree to two automatic promotion spots.

Anyway, on balance I will be cheering (or to be more precise, loud whispering) for Solihull.
Both ground meet FL entry criteria, they then have to meet full membership criteria within a required time frame - Barrow had to improvise in building several different seated areas to make the minimum 2000 covered seats as did Harrogate and Sutton in recent seasons. Bromley would be operating on a hugely reduced capacity to enable them to build a covered stand on the open side - they probably need to use the contractors who built our West stand and the similar one at Watford! Solihell the same on the uncovered seating side or build a roof over it like they have did at Eastleigh
becbee

No newly promoted NL side has ever been relegated from L2 after their first season. Maybe next May will be the first time.

I always watch the P.O. Final but not sure that I will this time when I just want them both to lose! That's not even sour grapes.
CrawleyBee

becbee wrote: 03 May 2024, 08:10 No newly promoted NL side has ever been relegated from L2 after their first season. Maybe next May will be the first time.

I always watch the P.O. Final but not sure that I will this time when I just want them both to lose! That's not even sour grapes.
Done for football for the summer (will watch some of the Euros) wish both Bromley and Solihull well, but won’t be watching. Just want the season to start to put things right! As the weeks gone on the frustration hasn’t lessened! But I do believe DB will take us up at some point…
Formerly Watfordbee
Tuesds

I’d be surprised if Bromley got relegated from L2 next season, should they go up. They’ve got a healthy and growing level of support, and they seem to have relatively deep pockets. Don’t see any particular reason why they would struggle any more than other promoted sides in recent years. Yes there’s the change of surface, but that didn’t seem to hurt Sutton in their first League 2 season.
becbee

Tuesds wrote: 03 May 2024, 08:45 I’d be surprised if Bromley got relegated from L2 next season, should they go up. They’ve got a healthy and growing level of support, and they seem to have relatively deep pockets. Don’t see any particular reason why they would struggle any more than other promoted sides in recent years. Yes there’s the change of surface, but that didn’t seem to hurt Sutton in their first League 2 season.
I suppose I didn't foresee Sutton staying up yet they managed 3 seasons.
hoofer2

becbee wrote: 03 May 2024, 09:46
Tuesds wrote: 03 May 2024, 08:45 I’d be surprised if Bromley got relegated from L2 next season, should they go up. They’ve got a healthy and growing level of support, and they seem to have relatively deep pockets. Don’t see any particular reason why they would struggle any more than other promoted sides in recent years. Yes there’s the change of surface, but that didn’t seem to hurt Sutton in their first League 2 season.
I suppose I didn't foresee Sutton staying up yet they managed 3 seasons.
And now probably wish for the extra income an artificial pitch brings in