No cup replays

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
john dockers shorts

Re: No cup replays

Who would of thought our replay with Newport would of had such a profound impact on Man City v Madrid in Champions league.

Importantly we would of lost the opportunity to remind Ollie Watkins what we thought of his actions at Griffin Park. Certainly added to his mental resilience I would of thought.....
DerekRocholl

becbee wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 19:05
PBBee wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 16:23
meden_820 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 15:59 Not really because of extra time and pens. The longer the game goes on, the lower ranked team will inevitably tire and the extra quality of the higher ranked team will usually show through.
Say you're Marine a couple of years ago hosting Spurs and you're drawing at the end of normal time and instead of a dream replay at White Hart Lane where you're never likely to get to play again you end up conceding three in extra time and going out?
Not withstanding the financial boost of playing in front of 50 to 60 thousand would have on a tiny football club (obviously I know it was during COVID so no crowds but just using it as an example)
I would counter that with our game vs Brentford - we may have won after the 90mins but were much less likely to win the replay. Part time fans in larger weekend crowds would also see more drama in extra time & penalties compared to the low midweek replay crowds.

Again I am playing devils advocate here.
On that evening we felt we'd got a great draw and that we deserved a replay. We didn't need to look beyond that at that moment. Penalties would have meant a 50% chance of just going home feeling deflated that we'd played well but had ultimately just lost on penalties. And seen the opposition fans celebrating their win.
On the other hand if we had gone to penalties we would have had a 50% chance of celebrating a home win and getting a big name and more TV revenue from the next round. The odds on beating Brentford away in the replay were considerably less than evens. In a similar vein how many people really wanted a replay against Aveley or Newport this season. The attendances for the two replays at the Hive don’t suggest they captured the imagination and I suspect the club lost money on the Aveley fixture.
becbee

I don't imagine many wanted to go out of the FA Cup at Aveley either, especially as we'd been 0-2 up. I imagine Aveley were delighted to have come back to equalise, it would have all been for nothing had they then gone out on penalties.
We had a far better chance of progress in a replay home to Aveley just as Brentford did home to us.

We equalised very late at Newport, again it would have been for nothing had we then lost on penalties.

Ultimately there is no one size fits all answer, I suppose it depends on how much value you attach to the F A Cup. It always used to be viewed as special, now it's considered by the Powers that Be to be an inconvenience to be squeezed in.
DerekRocholl

becbee wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 08:10 I don't imagine many wanted to go out of the FA Cup at Aveley either, especially as we'd been 0-2 up. I imagine Aveley were delighted to have come back to equalise, it would have all been for nothing had they then gone out on penalties.
We had a far better chance of progress in a replay home to Aveley just as Brentford did home to us.

We equalised very late at Newport, again it would have been for nothing had we then lost on penalties.

Ultimately there is no one size fits all answer, I suppose it depends on how much value you attach to the F A Cup. It always used to be viewed as special, now it's considered by the Powers that Be to be an inconvenience to be squeezed in.
There is a great deal of hipocrisy flying about in this subject. Last night a pundit on the radio was arguing that it was diminishing the FA cup and used Charlton as an example of a club that wouldn’t want replays to be scrapped. The same Charlton that made 11 changes to their side when they played Cray Valley in the FA Cup because they were pushing for promotion in the league and wanted to rest their first choice players.

The wrong type of replays are not wanted by clubs anywhere in the pyramid not just those in the Premier League and the reality is that on the whole they don’t pull in the attendances in person or on screen to make them worthwhile compared to the interest there is in other competitions.
jerroll

This is a small play in the PL trying to keep solidarity payments lower. Will use replays as a bargaining chip!
MCB

Nice to see TK sharing the same dreams I had during the FA Cup tie at Chelsea...

Let's just forget everything below the 2nd paragraph though.

I've no issue with opposing viewpoints and am taking in what everyone is saying, but I do feel this will put us in the firing line and at this point was probably better off not said.

He's not on social media so I wonder if the strength of feeling by his own clubs supporters and others has been made to him?
Beeboardwarrior

Beeboardwarrior wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 11:20 It’s a disgraceful decision, penalising those at the base of the pyramid to benefit a handful of clubs at the top. I’m surprised that the club have not made a statement about it yet.
TK reminding me to be careful what I wish for…
rudebwoyben

Beeboardwarrior wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 13:58
Beeboardwarrior wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 11:20 It’s a disgraceful decision, penalising those at the base of the pyramid to benefit a handful of clubs at the top. I’m surprised that the club have not made a statement about it yet.
TK reminding me to be careful what I wish for…
Arf
john dockers shorts

becbee wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 08:10 I don't imagine many wanted to go out of the FA Cup at Aveley either, especially as we'd been 0-2 up. I imagine Aveley were delighted to have come back to equalise, it would have all been for nothing had they then gone out on penalties.

Having read TKs statement and long discussion on this I've come to the opinion that I'm all in favour of pens. Crap replay v Newport perfect example.

You can make a case either way but I think it will be more exciting and maybe when of course we grind out a nil nil home to Carlisle next season pens will be very appealing!
Mikel Bee

I can see the arguments for and against tbh. We've had some classics like Chelsea and Swindon, but the Carlisle, Newport and Aveley replays were just downright depressing.

It is a massive piece of football tradition being lost but if it does improve smaller clubs chances of progressing and extra prize money then it might not be so bad. What irks me most about it all is the inconsistency applied throughout the competition.

Why still bother with replays prior to round 1 If you are scrapping the rest? Who exactly does that benefit? Why do some grounds get to use VAR and the rest don't? And as Letchbee said, why play the semis at the same location as the final?

There are other things which can be done to improve the competition.
Sam_BFC

Agree with dockers and Mikel that arguments can be made either way.

2000-2001 was the last season for two leg League Cup first and second round games I believe. One leg only in 94 would have meant a famous giant killing against Man City but at the expense of playing at Maine Road. However it would also have denied us that great night under the lights against Norwich in 1997.

I will listen to Hard Truth podcast today to hear more from the Peterborough owner who always has something interesting to say, but leaving aside the actual consequences of this decision, the bigger issue seems to be the arrogance and disregard for smaller clubs on the part of bigger clubs when making these decisions.
DerekRocholl

Sam_BFC wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 15:53 Agree with dockers and Mikel that arguments can be made either way.

2000-2001 was the last season for two leg League Cup first and second round games I believe. One leg only in 94 would have meant a famous giant killing against Man City but at the expense of playing at Maine Road. However it would also have denied us that great night under the lights against Norwich in 1997.

I will listen to Hard Truth podcast today to hear more from the Peterborough owner who always has something interesting to say, but leaving aside the actual consequences of this decision, the bigger issue seems to be the arrogance and disregard for smaller clubs on the part of bigger clubs when making these decisions.
The whole thing is about the money, the smaller clubs can’t base their finances on the very rare off chance of wind fall replays against bigger clubs and seem to have previously agreed to the change subject to them getting more money from the clubs at the top.
pletch99

TK entitled to his opinion. My opinion is that he is wrong!
adher36

It is TK's club and he can hold whatever opinion he wants.

Until someone else stumps up the cash to buy the club from him, then his opinion is the club's opinion.

It's really quite irrelevant what we as fans believe.
lm1589

I'ts pretty rare for a small club to draw at home to earn a big payday away at a top flight ground.
That's the dream though.

Most replays are going away to a team in your division / one above / one below.