Barnet retained list

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoofer2

Re: Barnet retained list

One of the things that has to be addressed is the core fitness / stamina of each player.

Too many are 60 minute players who flag considerably if play for longer. The difference in stamina compared to Bromley and Solihull Moors is noticeable. Would bringing in a fitness coach get the extra 10% from players we do have and help improve our perpetual seasonal injury cycle to key players?

Does the high press for 90 mins every match zap the energy more? Should all players follow the Okimo diet?

This is not just down to players returning from injury, though it was obvious before the Solihull game Oluwu and Pritchard were no-way near match fit, so why start them against a fit Solihull side?

Out of all the players signed last season Hall-Johnson has been the biggest disappointment for me. Went missing for too many games.
ninestein

DB has definitely made it a priority to get players in on permanent contracts who have a history of playing consistent numbers of games. We've taken a punt with the odd loan signing like Thompson. But ultimately, you can never tell whether a player will break down with injury over the course of a season. I think it's fair to say he wants more resource put in behind the scenes to prevent injury and recover players quicker. Compared to years ago, things have improved a bit, but there's still much to do if we want to name a settled side.

When the retained list is announced, and remember, it can take up to two weeks after our last match to come out, i'd like to hear DB's thoughts on how he sees the squad, and what he feels we need to take that next step. I'm sure the emotions at the club are still a little raw after Saturday, but things will seem clearer in the days ahead, and I'm sure he already has his targets in the event we remained a NL side. Question is, given the manner of our defeat, will the requirements of that target list alter? DB, over to you, and in you I trust!
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
gafferbee

Isn’t Pritchard on a multi year contract? I agree he was nowhere near as dynamic this season as he was last season, but he may be going nowhere.

Also, what do we do with the money coming in from EMC/Ronnie Edwards? There could be multiple millions, right? Can we use it to fund a championship-winning rebuild? Or do we need to spend more wisely, allocating the cash over multiple years to pay for, for example, a quality experienced coach, a better fitness and medical team, player salaries for any new arrivals, etc. I suspect the second is the more boring but more likely outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy57

simmosenior wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 09:24 I'd get rid of Brunt. Fine off the bench when the game becomes stretched but doesn't do enough the rest of the time. He won a 50/50 tackle yesterday; I think that was the first time in his Barnet career.
Oh that won't go down well lol
Roy57

Read comments on views of release and retain players supporters believe, Hartigan I really like but only if we bring in two better quicker players around him, as his main weakness is he has No pace, cannot track back, if we keep Pritchard same thing applys, good but is now picking up a few injuries and don't see this improving, Brunt has the eye and can execute a pass, but without the ball does and not capable of getting it back, as one comment said ( not me ) "he won a 50/50 today probably his first in a Barnet shirt", but one comment said "build the team around him"
Again like Hartigan No unless TK and Dean can or willing to bring in two players either side of him who have pace and box to box, and that is not going to be cheap.
becbee

Roy57 wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 21:59 if we keep Pritchard same thing applys, good but is now picking up a few injuries and don't see this improving,
Harry Pritchard was an ever present in 2022/23 apart from the D&R match when he was rested. He was an ever present this season for the first 37 matches when he was injured. He returned but clearly wasn't fit and ended up having an operation.

He clearly hadn't fully recovered from his operation and shouldn't have played last Saturday. But what nonsense to say that he is now "picking up a few injuries and don't see this improving". He has had one fairly serious injury. That's all.
hoofer2

becbee wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 06:43
Roy57 wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 21:59 if we keep Pritchard same thing applys, good but is now picking up a few injuries and don't see this improving,
Harry Pritchard was an ever present in 2022/23 apart from the D&R match when he was rested. He was an ever present this season for the first 37 matches when he was injured. He returned but clearly wasn't fit and ended up having an operation.

He clearly hadn't fully recovered from his operation and shouldn't have played last Saturday. But what nonsense to say that he is now "picking up a few injuries and don't see this improving". He has had one fairly serious injury. That's all.
He was also off form at start of the season and only picked up in late Autumn. He gives his all - but am not sure performances over last couple of months have been strong enough to warrant his starting place until you look at the alternatives Brunt, Freeman, Senior, Maguire-Drew.

The main issue for me with Hartigan is that if you are playing just in front of defence - you have to be able to defend, put in a challenge, be an extra line of defence. This can be worked on - but also think DB needs a tactical option that gives a more dynamic midfield that is not dependent on Hartigan as quarterback that often slowed the game.
antbfc

Just released: https://www.barnetfc.com/retained-list-2024

Won't load for me yet...
Itsmeerc

antbfc wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 15:42 Just released: https://www.barnetfc.com/retained-list-2024

Won't load for me yet...
Me neither... all I can tell from the replies on Twitter from before it crashed is that Laurie is gone.
WillesdenBee

No surprises. Already some good budget back now a couple of players are gone. Shame how it ended for Walker and Wynter but their wages free up space for better players. Options taken on Kanu, Collinge and Oluwo but do not expect 2 of those to be here come August. Be interesting to see what our talks with Gorman, Freeman, Coker and Okimo lead to. My guess is Coker stays, Okimo player/coach, Freeman waits out for EFL club and Gorman released. We would have 8 senior players at that point and still think Stevens will end up leaving one way or another.
BeeDeceived

Website can never handle traffic whenever there’s a statement, need to up the bandwidth or capacity or something
ninestein

Won't load for me either yet.
But whatever is in the article, we haven't hung about. List published within days of the playoff. DB probably already knew what his plans were if we were still in the NL.
Itsmeerc

For those who can't see:

Under contract:
Stead, Stevens, Pritch, Blower, Cropper, Gilmore, Kabamba, Hall-Johnson, Brunt

Options exercised:
Olwuo, Collinge, Kanu

Loans returned:
Thompson, Hartigan, O'Donkor, JMD, Keeley

In talks:
Coker, Gorman, Okimo, Feeman

Released:
Wynter, Senior, Hooper, Walker, Diarra, Granville
ninestein

Itsmeerc wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 16:03 For those who can't see:

Under contract:
Stead, Stevens, Pritch, Blower, Cropper, Gilmore, Kabamba, Hall-Johnson, Brunt

Options exercised:
Olwuo, Collinge, Kanu

Loans returned:
Thompson, Hartigan, O'Donkor, JMD, Keeley

In talks:
Coker, Gorman, Okimo, Feeman

Released:
Wynter, Senior, Hooper, Walker, Diarra, Granville
Thanks for posting this. No surprises in the released section.
Our front line is still very much there unless Idris gets sold.
Still think Okimo might be worth 1 more season as player/coach. Would like to see Freeman stay and benefit from a proper pre-season. Gorman also. Coker is ok, but if he declines a new deal, we can replace him.
Would love to get Hartigan permanently. Unlikely we'll get Keeley back unless it's a season long loan. Clearly we are in the market for a new keeper. Most of our transfer activity will centre around the defence and midfield.
WhetstoneBee

I'd be very happy for Okimo, Freeman and Gorman to stay, and Coker is very adequate back-up though probably not a starter. Laurie Walker is still one of the best goalkeepers in the NL so I hope we have someone just as good or better lined up - very sad how it ended with him but wish him all the best. No complaints about the other players released.

I can't believe we handed Stevens a contract beyond the end of the season given his injury record (not to mention footballing qualities). An unbelievably poor decision.