RIP Ray Clemence

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
beew

Re: RIP Ray Clemence

Psycho wrote:Absolutely gutted.

I know Ray had been ill for quite a while but I still feel numb with shock. Just such a great, lovely and friendly man.

When Ray arrived at Barnet, I always felt he stole Gary Phillips' thunder. We'd just drawn 0-0 at Chelsea in the FA Cup and all the headlines the next morning were about 'Clemence takes over at Barnet' instead of the famous draw against one of the country's leading sides. He set about changing the club and we put in some good battling performances - a 3-1 win over Leyton Orient being a highlight. I met Ray for the first time during the Nicky Evans benefit match against Birmingham at the end of the season and the friendliness shown as he gripped my hand tightly has stayed with me to this sad day.

That summer he meant business as he signed some top quality players that remain Barnet legends - Linvoy Primus, Lee Hodges, Dougie Freedman etc. The first half of 94/95 we played some of the best football I've ever seen Barnet produce and there was that magical night of beating Manchester City in the League Cup. As injuries began to bite, we slipped out of the promotion race but the following summer saw more legendary players arrive with the likes of Maik Taylor and Sean Devine. After a slow start, as Ninestein says, it all clicked after Christmas. February in particular was astonishing as we won 1-0 at champions Preston and 5-0 at Underhill v Wigan. We were so unfortunate to miss out on the play-offs come the season end but our away form frankly let us down, losing at Doncaster in the last minute which was so vital.

Ray's timing of leaving the club could have been better as I felt we were nailed on for promotion in 96/97 with all the top players retained. I don't think we could begrudge Ray a chance though to link up with England's finest players and I hope he enjoyed that spell of coaching.

Today, a huge part of Barnet's history and memories have come flooding back even though it is one of the saddest. Before the days of the internet, thanks for all you did for Barnet FC, Ray. May you rest in peace and your pain is over after years of battling prostate cancer.

Ray, you were a legend to the game of football and you were a legend to me. I'll raise a glass of Guinness to you tonight mate and think of all the special times you made for our great club. Thank you.
Andy that's a great eulogy. Thanks for sharing.
Sam_BFC

Rest in peace to Ray Clemence.

Nice memories Psycho, I also remember that Doncaster away day, must have been one of my very first. First time I ever heard the song "We'll be running 'round Wembley with our..." That late goal was a sucker punch, but the 5-0 and 5-1 wins against Wigan and Hartlepool stand out, as well as the 3-0 Fulham win on the final day, when results sadly didn't go our way. We did make it in to the top 7 at some point during the run in, and when we got home we paused the ceefax page for ages that evening just to savour the moment. And of course the other day we were discussing Sean Devine's debut that season versus Exeter.

A shame he couldn't combine the England and Barnet roles I suppose, but he left a good legacy.
alexbach

aclassman wrote:A real gentleman and a great manager
The best manager I had the pleasure to work with when driving the team coach

He got us playing attractive football and made the club financially safe with his signings and transfers
Few English goalies have won more.thinking of Dougie and his family also

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk
alexbach

I know Ray had been ill for quite a while but I still feel numb with shock. Just such a great, lovely and friendly man.

When Ray arrived at Barnet, I always felt he stole Gary Phillips' thunder. We'd just drawn 0-0 at Chelsea in the FA Cup and all the headlines the next morning were about 'Clemence takes over at Barnet' instead of the famous draw against one of the country's leading sides. He set about changing the club and we put in some good battling performances - a 3-1 win over Leyton Orient being a highlight. I met Ray for the first time during the Nicky Evans benefit match against Birmingham at the end of the season and the friendliness shown as he gripped my hand tightly has stayed with me to this sad day.

That summer he meant business as he signed some top quality players that remain Barnet legends - Linvoy Primus, Lee Hodges, Dougie Freedman etc. The first half of 94/95 we played some of the best football I've ever seen Barnet produce and there was that magical night of beating Manchester City in the League Cup. As injuries began to bite, we slipped out of the promotion race but the following summer saw more legendary players arrive with the likes of Maik Taylor and Sean Devine. After a slow start, as Ninestein says, it all clicked after Christmas. February in particular was astonishing as we won 1-0 at champions Preston and 5-0 at Underhill v Wigan. We were so unfortunate to miss out on the play-offs come the season end but our away form frankly let us down, losing at Doncaster in the last minute which was so vital.

Ray's timing of leaving the club could have been better as I felt we were nailed on for promotion in 96/97 with all the top players retained. I don't think we could begrudge Ray a chance though to link up with England's finest players and I hope he enjoyed that spell of coaching.

Today, a huge part of Barnet's history and memories have come flooding back even though it is one of the saddest. Before the days of the internet, thanks for all you did for Barnet FC, Ray. May you rest in peace and your pain is over after years of battling prostate cancer.

Ray, you were a legend to the game of football and you were a legend to me. I'll raise a glass of Guinness to you tonight mate and think of all the special times you made for our great club. Thank you.
Yes Andy no" big I am" a gentleman and already dalglish and shilton have given moving tributes.my late colleague knew Ray as Gill wàs a regular on the Kop

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk
rudebwoyben

That’s a lovely tribute Psycho.
Unfortunately Ray’s time coincided with a period when I hardly saw us play due to university and general student penury so I can’t contribute much!
letchbee94

Well written Andy.
Roy57

beew wrote:

Andy that's a great eulogy. Thanks for sharing.
Seconded. Very nice Eulogy. From the heart. RIP
Busters Guts

In all the tributes and details of
Rays wonderful career that Ive seen
Barnet F.C has not one mention.
He wasnt with us long but
produced a fine team and left a lasting
impression.
Any thoughts?88;
RichardM

Busters Guts wrote:In all the tributes and details of
Rays wonderful career that Ive seen
Barnet F.C has not one mention.
He wasnt with us long but
produced a fine team and left a lasting
impression.
Any thoughts?88;
Glenn Hoddle mentioned Barnet in relation to Ray on Talksport this morning.
ninestein

The BBC article mentions a brief spell as manager of Barnet.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Norfolkbee

I didn't realise that Ray was Dougie Freedman's father in law.
hoppy

Ray Clemence would have been 73 today.
It is not that common for goalkeepers to become managers so how unusual that Barnet had two goalkeepers as joint managers, Clemence and Gary Phillips.