New signings?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
barnetboy1

Re: New signings?

Oooooh Teddy, Teddy
Teddy, Teddy, Teddy, Teddy, Teddy Howe!!

Regarding Jordan Thomas, he has shown a lot of promise imho.
DerekRocholl

b4life wrote:A full back, probably not what most people would have thought is the highest priority but if he's better than we've got then good luck to him.
With Joe Widdowson out injured we only had 2 full backs in the entire squad and one of those needs to develop. It was the most obvious area where we needed to strengthen.

Looks like a good and common sense signing by Brennan.
letchbee94

Is this the first 'Teddy' to have signed for us?
jerroll

DerekRocholl wrote:
b4life wrote:A full back, probably not what most people would have thought is the highest priority but if he's better than we've got then good luck to him.
With Joe Widdowson out injured we only had 2 full backs in the entire squad and one of those needs to develop. It was the most obvious area where we needed to strengthen.

Nail on head Derek.
hoppy

letchbee94 wrote:Is this the first 'Teddy' to have signed for us?
Well before my time, but there was a Bee called Ted Bunker.
Tuesds

I see that Howe’s teammate at Scunthorpe, former Reading captain Jem Karacan, is without a club. Hasn’t played since May, it appears, but he was very popular at Scunthorpe during his spell there last season and he could certainly provide some of the quality we are lacking in midfield. Mind you, despite being just 32, he may well be retired for all I know!
Mem Beespod

DerekRocholl wrote:

Totally agree. When Iain and I were in DB’s office interviewing him, he had a white board with all the players in their position and we had 2/3 in every position except LB and RB where we had 1
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
Bee_Forever

That was presumably before we lost both of our strikers to ankle knocks.

To be clear I don't disagree we need full back cover, my point was more that we have other bigger fires to fight.

Hopefully Kian's ankle responds well to the injection and he is able to add some of that much needed zip in midfield as that will put out another fire.
Last edited by Bee_Forever on 25 Jan 2022, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
wiggy

jerroll wrote:
hoppy wrote:Anyone remember Don Howe? He was a great right back for WBA and Arsenal.
If I remember correctly he did a bit of coaching at Barnet.
only here for a few weeks, helped us tighten up during our great 91/92 first football league campaign.
Don Howe was Teddy's great uncle according to wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Howe. Also Teddy's dad Nigel was Chief Executive at Reading until summer 2020 (now Vice-Chairman)
Norfolkbee

I'm pretty sure Barnet had a player called Ted(dy) Goldney back in the 1970s.
becbee

Norfolkbee wrote:
I'm pretty sure Barnet had a player called Ted(dy) Goldney back in the 1970s.
In the past, babies would have been christened Edward / Edwin, called Teddy as a baby / toddler, by school age have become Ted / Ed / Eddie. Per Wiki our new signing is Teddy William Howe.
becbee

Whether or not we especially needed a full back to cover /replace Thomas, it makes complete sense to sign when a decent one becomes available. And from what's been said about Howe, he sounds like he ought to be able to do the job that we were expecting from Sesay. Whatever anybody's opinion of Thomas, that's not in his repertoire.
Roy57

The other day there were posts on hear regarding how Alfie Pavey was a flop. And somebody replied he was unlucky with getting such a series injury. I totally agree with this. And I see he has scored yet again tonight for Dover at home to Eastleigh. Not sure how many he has scored since signing for Dover but proves he is NO flop at this level. Glad for him.
becbee

Roy57 wrote:The other day there were posts on hear regarding how Alfie Pavey was a flop. And somebody replied he was unlucky with getting such a series injury. I totally agree with this. And I see he has scored yet again tonight for Dover at home to Eastleigh. Not sure how many he has scored since signing for Dover but proves he is NO flop at this level. Glad for him.
Alfie Pavey flopped for us. I am very pleased for Dover, a win at last and well done Alfie Pavey, but no goals in 21 appearances for us ( 2 spells) says it all.
Water under the bridge.
DerekRocholl

Roy57 wrote:The other day there were posts on hear regarding how Alfie Pavey was a flop. And somebody replied he was unlucky with getting such a series injury. I totally agree with this. And I see he has scored yet again tonight for Dover at home to Eastleigh. Not sure how many he has scored since signing for Dover but proves he is NO flop at this level. Glad for him.
He’s got 4 goals in 9 games this season. Probably a bit early to give him a golden boot award.