Arsenal Pre season

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Spodothebee

Arsenal Pre season

Arsenal tour off due to covid- wonder if they fancy a game?
letchbee94

Re: Arsenal Pre season

Where was they going? Should not be going abroad anyway.
Spodothebee

letchbee94 wrote:Where was they going? Should not be going abroad anyway.
Off to the US, which was baffling in itself
ninestein

It's ridiculous clubs going abroad for pre-season tours in the current climate. What's wrong with staying in the UK and testing themselves against sides in our own pyramid. A PL club should find decent enough opposition from the Championship to build up fitness and match sharpness. Likewise, even sending half a first XI to a club like ours would do wonders for matchday takings. As much as I hated being surrounded by Arsenal fans in a packed Underhill, that friendly probably funded 2 players wages for the season.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Norfolk & Chance

Maybe it's all to do with marketing their 'product '.
Selling a few shirts in the US etc.
becbee

Madness that they ever thought they could / should go to USA this summer, were they so detached from reality?

I have absolutely no desire to go to a Barnet V Arsenal PSF - once was bad enough. Doing so would pack the ground but it's not a prospect that appeals to me.
Norfolkbee

I haven't been to an Arsenal PSF since the "Sol Campbell" game. I got the hump when the teams were warming up half an hour before KO and a snotty Gooner demanded I sit down because I was "spoiling his son's matchday experience".
John Hunt

I used to love the Arsenal pre season friendlies and cannot understand why our fans did not. I found their an element of reverse snobbery to it. Arsenal often paid us respect and fielded a strong side. It made us lots of money. We got to see decent players on our pitch. Little Man wearing both shirts to the game made me smile.

And it was nice to be able to celebrate when we scored. I think Kenny Gillet put us one up with a cracker and there was a frame by frame picture of it in one of the programmes where Steve Percy and I were two of the few Barnet fans celebrating it.

I wish we had such friendlies against other big clubs. The only time i saw us play (my preferred) Tottenham was for Lee Harrison. Spurs fielded a young side including Sir Harold Kane.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
MCB

John Hunt wrote:I used to love the Arsenal pre season friendlies and cannot understand why our fans did not. I found their an element of reverse snobbery to it. Arsenal often paid us respect and fielded a strong side. It made us lots of money. We got to see decent players on our pitch. Little Man wearing both shirts to the game made me smile.
Every 2nd season when there wasn't a Euros or World Cup you'd get a strong team and it was worth seeing. But the prices (high!) justified me not wanting to go when you knew the game would sell out. Arsenal fans used to love them - those who missed standing, or perhaps didn't get a season ticket - and i'm sure the players did as well.

There were definitely highlights - the Gillet free kick, Liam Hatch looking like a more accomplished forward than Yaya Toure, Gary Hooper nutmegging a couple of Arsenal players in his only Barnet appearance, and of course taking the lead before conceding 9 and then winning promotion. But i'd rather watch the following game which tended to be against Peterborough for a clearer understanding of what our largely new team was like!
ETBee

I have no problem with Premiership teams spending part of their pre-season abroad, it boosts their brand which is essential in this commercial world and they get to play the level of opposition they can't get here. But a trip to the US was never on during covid. Even Wrexham had to cancel their US tour!

I'm happy to see Arsenal, Spurs or any big team at the Hive. Watford must be our closest Prem team (are they?) so a visit by them would be good and could encourage some of their fans to follow the Bees.
becbee

Absolutely no reverse snobbery from me about the Arsenal PSF. My issue never was with the Arsenal players or the football itself. My dislike stems from sitting in the Main Stand surrounded by Arsenal fans loudly snearing at the state of Underhill and how rubbish Barnet were. I felt uncomfortable as a home supporter at my home ground. That's why I feel as I do.
fordybarnet

Best one was when we lost 10-1 to Arse and then got promoted !
Bee_Forever

becbee wrote:Absolutely no reverse snobbery from me about the Arsenal PSF. My issue never was with the Arsenal players or the football itself. My dislike stems from sitting in the Main Stand surrounded by Arsenal fans loudly snearing at the state of Underhill and how rubbish Barnet were. I felt uncomfortable as a home supporter at my home ground. That's why I feel as I do.
I agree with Becbee.

The specimens who turned up for the arsenal reserve games were an interesting bunch too.

I learned to leave them to it after a while.

That said the match at the hive vs the u23s was good fun.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk