Dog and Duck (Hive) The Match Thread Whose Cup Hoofeth Over

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
rudebwoyben

Re: Dog and Duck (Hive) The Match Thread Whose Cup Hoofeth O

I’m not sure how meagre their resources are, they get a lot of money from Arsenal for all the stuff that Arsenal get to do there.
Tuesds

Going by the back of Saturday’s programme, our squad is 48% bigger than Boreham Wood’s, ie almost half as big again as theirs! And this season our squad feels less bloated than it has in some recent campaigns.

If you have a fixed budget for players and can operate with a squad of 17 rather than 25, you can spend a lot more per player!
Psycho

rudebwoyben wrote:
pgbee wrote:
pgbee wrote:
Roy57 wrote:
No - today was a big day for Horsham, and they had a bumper crowd today.

The FA Cup is different. More people were at Bromsgrove Sporting vs Grimsby today than at Stockport, but I don’t think Stockport will be worried about that. It’s when our crowds are smaller than Horsham’s league attendances that we’ll need to start to worry!

Only 718 at the other all-National League London derby, Wealdstone vs Dagenham, I see. They probably should find that a bit embarrassing!
My point was Bees and Wood are around 5-10 miles apart and they couldn't beat 1927 for a cup tie, one side 2nd in NL...I admit Woking are better supported than Bees and Wood and Horsham isn't too far to travel but I still think it's at least disappointing. Good to be at a game where there was positivity in the home crowd too despite being 2nd from bottom in Isthmian Premier.
We play B’wood every season in the League whereas the 4th qualifying round and a nearby NL side was a big deal for Horsham. It’s not that difficult to figure out.[/quote]

Horsham have got Crawley right on their doorstep in North Sussex (who got 3,572 in League Two on Saturday) whereas Barnet had the opportunity to advertise their FA Cup game to a neutral with Arsenal and Tottenham not playing. That's nearly 2,000 fans more than were at the Hive (which I decided to give one more chance to see if things like customer service and the football on offer had improved. No, the ticket office was a shambles again and I can't remember us ever really looking like winning).

I don't think Boreham Wood are anywhere near as bad as the old days of Wimbledon and Sheffield United in the top flight. Yes, they were niggly, physical and it needed a strong set of officials - which they weren't - but John Still's first spell as manager resulted in two play-off campaigns even if the football wasn't easy on the eye. We weren't complaining then.
becbee

I agree that a smaller squad is better than a bloated squad. However a squad of only 17 players would provide on any matchday 11 starters, 5 subs and 1 spare player. Even the luckiest, fittest club will have players out injured and suspended. Also players would get complacent when they know their place is so safe.
What a club really needs is a selection challenge / cover for certain places. Main problem is that with the repeated change of manager, managers making lazy signings of players they know from previous clubs who are then rejected by the next manager. That's what creates bloated squads.
Impression I get now is that provided we now stick with DB, he will not make any impulse signings but will just look to sign players who will trial with us first and so he can be confident they will improve the squad , not just add to the numbers.

And as for John Still, I started watching Barnet in 2000, John Still was manager for the first the only entertainment provided was by Darren Currie, the football was turgid and the cries were "Still Out".
MCB

Psycho wrote:We weren't complaining then.
We certainly were :laugh:
b4life

When you look at other messageboards, our fans are definitely in the play offs, probably nailed on for promotion, in the complaining league table :laugh: Not saying we haven't had things to complain about of course :laugh:
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
jerroll

MCB wrote:
Psycho wrote:We weren't complaining then.
We certainly were :laugh:
We had been spoiled by the style of football served up by both Barry Fry & Ray Clemence's teams by the time John Still arrived so certain sections of our support were unhappy with that 'style' of football from very early on in Stilly's time in charge despite results & league positions we haven't seen since! at certain times John's sides did play decent football then we had a couple of poor results & he went back to functional percentage football!
DerekRocholl

rudebwoyben wrote:I’m not sure how meagre their resources are, they get a lot of money from Arsenal for all the stuff that Arsenal get to do there.
A first team squad of 18 seems quite meagre.
jerroll

DerekRocholl wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:I’m not sure how meagre their resources are, they get a lot of money from Arsenal for all the stuff that Arsenal get to do there.
Only 14 can play in a game, as there are no signing restrictions until end of March 18 seems a manageable level if you sign the right breed of player and don't have a fancy treatment room!
DerekRocholl

jerroll wrote:
DerekRocholl wrote:
Only 14 can play in a game, as there are no signing restrictions until end of March 18 seems a manageable level if you sign the right breed of player and don't have a fancy treatment room!
This forum would be in melt down if we only had a First team squad of 18.
becbee

DerekRocholl wrote:
jerroll wrote:
DerekRocholl wrote:
This forum would be in melt down if we only had a First team squad of 18.
It wouldn't be in meltdown if we had 18 players, all of whom were worthy of a place in the team, that we had every position fully covered, that our players could skip over every challenge and never get injured, that Sesay wasn't in the squad to get International call ups and that our players never picked up suspensions.
I.E. in a Cloud Cuckoo Land.
eastbarnetsupporter

Check out my appearance in Footy Adventures Youtube video of Barnet vs Boreham Wood! (includes stadium tour and snippets of the game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7FhdcytSeg

Yes, it's not quite a 'North London' derby as stated, but it's not a Hertfordshire one either. Does open up the question as to how we define our fixture with Boreham Wood. They're closer to Underhill than us!

Enjoy :D
PBBee

eastbarnetsupporter wrote:Check out my appearance in Footy Adventures Youtube video of Barnet vs Boreham Wood! (includes stadium tour and snippets of the game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7FhdcytSeg

Yes, it's not quite a 'North London' derby as stated, but it's not a Hertfordshire one either. Does open up the question as to how we define our fixture with Boreham Wood. They're closer to Underhill than us!

Enjoy :D
Decent little watch that. Surprised he got off at Queensbury & didn’t go to Canons Park to really see the whole complex on the tube.

Also made me laugh right at the end saying how awful we were.

As for their goal - was it an own goal as it looked like our defender flicked it on at the front post & it potentially hit Harry Taylor on the back of the head?
letchbee94

Some of the football we played at start of 1999-2000 season was some of the best I have seen in my time.
Psycho

Just realised that it's the first time Barnet have failed to be in the FA Cup first round since 2002 when Tiverton Town came to Underhill and pulled off a 2-0 shock win (sic) under Peter Shreeves.

Concentrate on the league and all that.