Wrexham (Hive) The Dead Wool Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
natwilk

Re: Wrexham (Hive) The Dead Wool Match Thread

This was my first game in a while. I had hoped we,d improved ... but no ... still shit!
... All we have to do is keep winning the next game ...
natwilk

This was my first game in a while. I had hoped we,d improved ... but no ... still shit!
... All we have to do is keep winning the next game ...
let_it_bee

We looked lively for the first 15/20 minutes, put some dangerous balls into the box, but came to nothing through a combination of no luck and good defending by them. Then HT shot us in the foot for the first goal, and the second was absolutely pathetic - long throw, defenders on either side of their guy, he gives a little shove (not enough for a foul) and gets in between them as easy as you like. You can never expect to win games if you're going to concede goals like that.
Then the absurd decision to take Bloomfield off at half time, who was having as good a game as could be expected in the circumstances, and whose physical presence was our only real hope of unsettling their defence. No problem with Marriott coming on, but surely it should have been for one of our 3 'holding' midfielders.
To be fair, I thought Wrexham were very strong throughout, never stopped running and closing us down and showed plenty of quality on the ball. We passed the ball around quite nicely in the second half without ever really threatening. Yes, Greenidge acquitted himself well, but was never likely to change the game, and we're very fortunate not to have conceded more. One particularly alarming thing for me is how lightweight Thomas is when going shoulder-to-shoulder with opponents. Needs to get down to some serious gym work if he isn't to squander his undoubted talent.
Beaten by a far better side today, but as has been said above, up until last season would expect to be competing on equal terms with teams like this. I'm due to move to MK shortly and wondering how much longer I can keep motivating myself to come.
ETBee

We have no goal scoring capabilty. We don't have anybody who could be called a striker without breaching the trades description act.

So much time playing the ball around in defence was bound to result in disaster. It only need one mistake and Wrexham realised if they pressurised Taylor it would happen. Why were we doing it? To keep posession and waste time? Or because we didn't knw how to get the ball forward?

Bloomfield was totaly isolated up front and either couldn't stay on his feet or had their defender jumping all over him.

When our players get the ball they never seem to know what to or where their team mates are so the game slows and we lose the ball. There are no patterns of play or routines. And nobody moves to create options.

Brundle and Payne are a waste of space.

Greenidge was interesting. His long forward passes on the ground were just what we needed to get some movement.

There's no point in changing manager when we have this group of players. It would have been interesting today if we'd had Beard and Sesay on the pitch.
pgbee

Went to Horsham again today on a 30% discount offer so cost £7.70 about a third of West stand with less travel time and expense , came back from a goal down and with 10 men, scored virtually last kick of the game and showed fighting characteristics and were better side in last 20 minutes. They are,2nd bottom but there isn't a losing mentality there.
BeesKnees99

ETBee wrote:We have no goal scoring capabilty. We don't have anybody who could be called a striker without breaching the trades description act.

So much time playing the ball around in defence was bound to result in disaster. It only need one mistake and Wrexham realised if they pressurised Taylor it would happen. Why were we doing it? To keep posession and waste time? Or because we didn't knw how to get the ball forward?

Bloomfield was totaly isolated up front and either couldn't stay on his feet or had their defender jumping all over him.

When our players get the ball they never seem to know what to or where their team mates are so the game slows and we lose the ball. There are no patterns of play or routines. And nobody moves to create options.

Brundle and Payne are a waste of space.

Greenidge was interesting. His long forward passes on the ground were just what we needed to get some movement.

There's no point in changing manager when we have this group of players. It would have been interesting today if we'd had Beard and Sesay on the pitch.
Of all the players to single out, it would be Jordan Thomas.

What an absolute fraud of a footballer. I never want to see him in a Barnet shirt ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psycho

Roy57 wrote:Forgetting Dover we are lucky we have Wealdstone and Kings Lynn Weymouth and possibly Aldershot. Who on good day are worse than us. Otherwise we really could be in danger of getting relegated. Can add Southend to above list. There loosing 3-0 at Dagenham.
Aldershot were 2 up at home to Bromley now 2-2 at ht. Kings Lynn loosing 1-0. Weymouth beating Wealdstone 1-0. HT scores.
It's worth saying that three clubs below us have a game in hand - yes, they still play their trump card of Dover with it being a 23 team league. Win that (which they'll be comfortably odds on to) and Barnet will be in the relegation zone.

What a happy winter ahead!
Roy57

natwilk wrote:This was my first game in a while. I had hoped we,d improved ... but no ... still shit!
I love it when supporters give the watered down version. Lol
tolbinc

[/quote]Of all the players to single out, it would be Jordan Thomas.

What an absolute fraud of a footballer. I never want to see him in a Barnet shirt ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I have to question if this is a reasonable response about a 20 year old who has made around a dozen first team appearances in his entire career - especially when playing against League Two's Player of the Year last season who netted 32 times and should be in League One...

A bad day at the office indeed, but need a sense of perspective.
Roy57

pgbee wrote:Went to Horsham again today on a 30% discount offer so cost £7.70 about a third of West stand with less travel time and expense , came back from a goal down and with 10 men, scored virtually last kick of the game and showed fighting characteristics and were better side in last 20 minutes. They are,2nd bottom but there isn't a losing mentality there.
Great
becbee

tolbinc wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I have to question if this is a reasonable response about a 20 year old who has made around a dozen first team appearances in his entire career - especially when playing against League Two's Player of the Year last season who netted 32 times and should be in League One...

A bad day at the office indeed, but need a sense of perspective.[/quote]

Being more tactful, I'd say that Jordan Thomas isn't as yet of the required standard and I was hoping he'd be subbed, however I'd not known at the time quite how good a record Paul Mullin has, which does need to be taken into account.

I agree, bad day at the office. Let's hope we just put it behind us and hope for better going forward.

Also when you consider quite how many of our players we had back for the corner from which Wrexham scored their 2nd, yet none of them moved, I'd say today was not the day for singling out individuals.
Roy57

Listened to Brennan's post match interview. Not sure if his views on the game are shared by many. Seemed to me he felt if we had not yet again made mistakes in set pieces we might of had a chance, really ?. Don't really want to keep hearing we either need to keep working on this in training of they are, as there is no sign of these mistakes being cut out. Why we have not brought in another striker of better quality to the two Brennan feels is enough. I find frustrating. When we are loosing and need to find a way back into the game why he feels having both Bloomfield and Marriott on the pitch is not the way to go. At least it is worth a try. Just don't seem to be even close to scoring and getting back into games.
rudebwoyben

becbee wrote:
tolbinc wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bad day at the office indeed, but need a sense of perspective.[/quote]

Being more tactful, I'd say that Jordan Thomas isn't as yet of the required standard and I was hoping he'd be subbed, however I'd not known at the time quite how good a record Paul Mullin has, which does need to be taken into account.

I agree, bad day at the office. Let's hope we just put it behind us and hope for better going forward.

Also when you consider quite how many of our players we had back for the corner from which Wrexham scored their 2nd, yet none of them moved, I'd say today was not the day for singling out individuals.[/quote]

Their second goal came from a Tozer long throw, not a corner. To me that’s even worse. The makeshift nature of our defence was really shown up today, both at set-pieces and in general play.
Jordan Thomas has looked ok on occasion but this time, against experienced and clever opponents, he looked every bit the green academy graduate that he is.
The difference in the quality of movement up front between them and us was embarrassing. Also, the players on our side who were doing the most to make things happen were EMC and Wes, who’ve been with us for years!
Brundle trundles to no effect and it’s a Payne watching Payne. Woods was played out of position and it showed.
letchbee94

Poor decision imo not to give Marriott and Bloomfield a chance up front together even just for 15 mins or so in second half. I understand Bloomfield was not injured when he was taken off. Not sure how Brennan thought we was goin to get back into the game with just 1 striker on pitch.
#Beebot

An update on the managerial situation would be nice. There is no doubt that Brennan is more competent than Kewell, but I think we can do better and it strikes me as odd that there has been no formal update yet.