South Stand

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BEEGONE

Re: South Stand

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60590815

Interesting, I know some have mentioned the possibility of Ealing Rugby Club coming to the Hive. Even with the new stand it still won’t be big enough to host top flight rugby.
Mickbee

It will be just a big wind break IMO, no chance of filling it.
ninestein

The new South Stand would only increase capacity to 8,000. But even then i believe that was only physical capacity. The Hive would only be allowed to admit that many fans once thd rest of thd plans were complete, such as alterations to parking etc. Remember the idea of a decked members car park?
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
hoppy

Are the builders in yet?
eastbarnetsupporter

Is it for certain to be seating and not include safe-standing? Missed opportunity if so.
letchbee94

Lets get a good team together in first that wins game then we can worry about a stand to put the fans into.
PBBee

I’ll be devastated if no standing is included & it will be a terrible decision the club will come to regret - a lot of youngsters prefer the idea of standing.

The ground is stale enough already with so many empty seats!
EastBarnetFan

PBBee wrote: 17 May 2022, 20:25 I’ll be devastated if no standing is included & it will be a terrible decision the club will come to regret - a lot of youngsters prefer the idea of standing.

The ground is stale enough already with so many empty seats!
Couldn't agree more, it's vital for the future generation of Barnet fans that standing is permitted.
becbee

There are some fans for whom the attraction of lower / non league football is that they can meet their mates and stand. If it's
a straight choice between sitting in designated seats at a top league match or a lower league match, then the standard of football is relevant. Lower / non league clubs looking to improve their grounds should bear in mind the needs of the fans / potential fans.
adher36

Ridiculous how the club haven't even had the courtesy to tell us what the plans are for OUR stadium. If we are going to have to go a whole season or more with a three sided stadium, they should just be honest and tell us.

Its the secrecy and trying to hide things from us which bothers me more than it would if it was just another big, empty seated stand, which at least would add as a bit of a windbreak.

Of course there should be a safe standing option, the biggest club in the world Manchester United are able to have one now so why shouldn't Barnet. Saying that, when the South terrace was open, the numbers on it were pitiful so it may not just be a case of build it and they will come.
hoofer2

becbee wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:21 There are some fans for whom the attraction of lower / non league football is that they can meet their mates and stand. If it's
a straight choice between sitting in designated seats at a top league match or a lower league match, then the standard of football is relevant. Lower / non league clubs looking to improve their grounds should bear in mind the needs of the fans / potential fans.
Safestanding will definitely not resolve this as you will be allocated a position to stand - i.e. same as being allocated a seat
Barnet loyal

The terrace gave a awful view, the new stand hopefully with safe standing will be a much option. Lots of fans like to be behind the goal especially the younger ones
thebeekeeper

becbee wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:21 There are some fans for whom the attraction of lower / non league football is that they can meet their mates and stand. If it's
Completely agree with this. I think a flaw in Barnet's – and a lot of lower league clubs' stadium developments - is that they try and make the whole experience a kind of 'Premier League light'. But I always think, why wouldn't you just go down to watch a top flight team if that's what you want? You'll get a better atmosphere at Fulham or Brentford for example, and not pay too much more.

Actually, the non-league / lower league clubs that really seem to be thriving are the ones who have differentiated themselves from the pack – terracing, supporter ownership, craft beer, cheaper tickets and a real connection with the local community etc. Look at Dulwich Hamlet getting an average attendance of over 2700 in the National League South.

Sometimes it's best to embrace the things that make you stand out, in a crowded market where the Premier League swallows all the air time.

I think back to my first game at Underhill in the mid-90s as a child. I wonder, all the things that made me fall in love with Barnet that day and kept me coming back... do those same qualities exist at The Hive for the youngsters of today?
Itsmeerc

hoofer2 wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:54
Safestanding will definitely not resolve this as you will be allocated a position to stand - i.e. same as being allocated a seat
I suspect many people would just ignore the allocation if this is the case. Shouldn't be much of an issue as any new stand won't be filled anytime soon, unless we draw a big side at home in the FA cup, so there would still be the option to move around.
thebeekeeper

Itsmeerc wrote: 18 May 2022, 11:27
hoofer2 wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:54
I suspect many people would just ignore the allocation if this is the case. Shouldn't be much of an issue as any new stand won't be filled anytime soon, unless we draw a big side at home in the FA cup, so there would still be the option to move around.
Someone more knowledgable may know the answer to this, but is there any reason why the new stand (or any stand for that matter) can't simply be designated unreserved seating?