Signings so far

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
ETBee

Re: Signings so far

It's been a long time since we've signed somebody who excites the fans when they receive the ball, somebody who can make things happen. At times I thought EMC could do this but, as we know, too often his initial flair comes to nothing.
becbee

The last signing to excite the fans was Dave Tarpey and we all know how, through no fault of anybody's, how that worked out.

Simple question - who does anybody think we could sign who would excite the fans?
ninestein

Remember when we took Yannick Bolasie on loan from Plymouth? That was an exciting signing. Raw pace, control, turned defenders inside out and left them on their backsides.

Albert Adomah from Harrow was another one.

When John Akinde was announced, you knew that we meant business.

And yet we've signed several players over the years who might not have been well known at the time, but turned out to be real gems. Dean Sinclair an obvious example. There is the potential for one of our signings already made to fall into this category.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
becbee

But that's probably my point. Until our new signings actually play, we don't know that they are exciting signings so we can't really criticise in advance. Also how many Albert Adomah's are there? And we were lucky in that we managed to pinch him from Dag & Red before they signed him.

John Akinde I agree, we were aware of his potential. But we were lucky there in that Alfreton could no longer afford to keep him.
Tuesds

becbee wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 12:48
John Akinde I agree, we were aware of his potential. But we were lucky there in that Alfreton could no longer afford to keep him.
We weren’t lucky to get Akinde because Alfreton couldn’t afford him. There were 23 other National League clubs and plenty of League 2 clubs for whom a 17-goal 6ft 2” striker would’ve been a decent signing, and it was us who secured his signature. We’re just not in the same position now.

The last signing to excite the fans was McCallum, I’d suggest, not Tarpey, but that is another sign of where we are. We threw money at McCallum’s signature because Kleanthous was desperate for promotion that season, with the money running out in the following season. The money has now very much run out.

We’re now just a couple of years on from then, but we’re also light years away from a position where would even be competing to sign a proven, prolific goalscorer at our own level.

However, in answer to the question of what an exciting signing would look like, I’d suggest someone like Kretzschmar, who has a bit of a profile at our level and wasn’t released by his last club, would fit the bill to some extent.

Woking’s signing of Amond certainly seems to have excited Cards fans, too. Not saying I wish we’d have signed him, I hasten to add.
#Beebot

I think Kretschmar would be an exciting signing for many fans. I think that many fans will also be excited this week. Maybe in the next couple of days.
Spodothebee

#Beebot wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 13:07 I think Kretschmar would be an exciting signing for many fans. I think that many fans will also be excited this week. Maybe in the next couple of days.
Okay, I’ll bite. Any more clues?
Tuesds

Spodothebee wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 13:26
#Beebot wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 13:07 I think Kretschmar would be an exciting signing for many fans. I think that many fans will also be excited this week. Maybe in the next couple of days.
Okay, I’ll bite. Any more clues?
Based on the fact that Beebot also follows Maidenhead, I’m taking this as a definitive statement that we are signing Josh Kelly. Or that we’ve lined up a double swoop for Charlie Adams and Dan Sparkes
#Beebot

The MK deal should be over the line very soon.

I don't expect any incomings from Maidenhead, or with Maidenhead links. I think James Comley would fit in very nicely here though and is a realistic target, but I have no intel on that.
WillesdenBee

#Beebot wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 15:22 The MK deal should be over the line very soon.

I don't expect any incomings from Maidenhead, or with Maidenhead links. I think James Comley would fit in very nicely here though and is a realistic target, but I have no intel on that.
Just a rumour or do you have intel on MK?
#Beebot

WillesdenBee wrote:
#Beebot wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 15:22 The MK deal should be over the line very soon.

The latter. Not 100% but v. likely.
WillesdenBee

#Beebot wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 15:31
WillesdenBee wrote:

The latter. Not 100% but v. likely.
I know he has been down to Eastleigh and Dartford are all over him as well but fingers crossed you're right! Would be a great asset
Patel89

Eastleigh out of the running it's us or dartford highly likely dartford due to being closer to home and his relationship with dowse! if he comes to us i'll be delighted but I am not holding my breath!
Ajtheone04

Patel89 wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 19:26 Eastleigh out of the running it's us or dartford highly likely dartford due to being closer to home and his relationship with dowse! if he comes to us i'll be delighted but I am not holding my breath!
So you're telling me that we're going to be outcompeted for a player that got 13 national league goals last year by a team in the NLS after he left his previous team because of disappointing contract offers due to...... location....
Not having it, he's coming here and we're winning the league
11bee717

Patel89 wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 19:26 Eastleigh out of the running it's us or dartford highly likely dartford due to being closer to home and his relationship with dowse! if he comes to us i'll be delighted but I am not holding my breath!
Surely he wouldn’t drop down a level