Eastleigh (Hive) The In Flight TV Dinner Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Shmulib100

Re: Eastleigh (Hive) The In Flight TV Dinner Match Thread

What was the tactical switch Deano made on 20 mins?
hoofer2

Roy57 wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 13:05 There has been quite a few posts on our attendances, but noticed yesterday Eastleigh only brought
108 supporters on a bank holiday with short journey, we took 129 away to Chesterfield on a Friday
night, on a rescheduled match, just think the support especially with how we have started the season will only improve. Plus the supporters who travel in numbers need a pat on the back.
We had game on Sunday last year when attendance was up too with a good atmosphere, and coincided with increase in Jewish families in attendance as not playing on their sabbath. Changing matchday to Sunday could well attract more attendance from local community.

We are scoring because we have a midfield confident to shoot on sight. I am struggling to recall the last time we had a team who did not keep passing the shooting buck - exciting prospects for rest of season.

I thought Gorman gave a warrior type performa, and Kabamba's presence, running and constant worrying of defenders allowed Shields etc. to exploit. Another point of note is the general awareness and anticipation of where ball will be played. It's the reason Diarra got his head to the ball so many times and Shields in right place at right time to get the ball.

As for the refreshment debacle - so amateur. You could ask a local Scout/Guide group to serve up tea/coffee/basic snacks. My Scout group has a double berco that would more than do the job!
b4life

CrawleyBee wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 13:41 Surely they could source and outsider caterer like many other clubs do. Every other club I’ve been to has managed some sort of catering service. I don’t know the in’s and out’s which I’m sure the SA does.

The lack of ballboys was a joke, what’s happened to asking local youth clubs ?
There were literally dozens of potential ball boys from junior teams sat in the family stand!
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
Tuesds

Shmulib100 wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 13:47 What was the tactical switch Deano made on 20 mins?
Brennan said in one of his interviews that they changed the midfield from having ‘two sitting’ to having ‘two 8s’.

The midfield started with Gorman and Smith sitting deep in front of the back 4, with Pritchard playing a bit further forward in a ‘number 8’ role.

I think the change was that Smith was told to change his role to that of a number 8, with more licence to run around, press the opposition and get forward rather than simply screening the back four. This flipped the midfield triangle on its head, and had the effect of allowing us to cover more ground and win some more possession. I think.
Tuesds

11bee717 wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 13:30 Does anyone know if the family stand is gonna be open all the time?
No idea, although it was notable that Brennan mentioned it specifically in his post-match interview when he talking about how it was the first time since here been here that it’s felt like a ‘proper game of football’ at The Hive.

I’ve been meaning to suggest to the BFCSA that they encourage the club to re-open the Family Stand in an attempt to engender some goodwill with fans, increase the choice available to fans both existing and in particular new and to improve the atmosphere by making a 2-and-a-half sided ground into a 3-sided ground.

To really generate that goodwill and to improve the negative perception of the club as expensive amongst potential supporters, and in recognition of the fact that the accommodation is just not as good as in the Legends Stand (shallow, little/no cover, no bar access etc.) I think it would need to be priced a little cheaper. Perhaps £18 for adults and just £2 or £3 or so for kids (as the family stand, after all)?

That’s still more than we charged for that area previously, and the evidence of that period is that it didn’t displace people from the West Stand (ie we didn’t lose revenue by offering cheaper tickets than in Legends Stand), while it did allow the club to present a more inclusive, affordable offer to potential new supporters.
Last edited by Tuesds on 30 Aug 2022, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
WhetstoneBee

b4life wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 12:11
LoringBee wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 11:46
wearebees wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 11:13 It feels great to be winning so much! Not quite good used to it yet, hopefully it lasts! I could watch that Hall strike over and over. Nice to see the Hive busier, great atmosphere, people certainly love a freebie. Shame the Hive Bar wasn't equipped at all with food or drink, two staff members doing what they could, cheese or ham toastie for dinner anyone? The point of free/cheap tickets is partly to make money in other ways to make up for the cost, all those extra people and not much money made from them.
Not just that - it will put potential supporters off coming back too. It really isn’t good enough when DB and the team are putting so much effort in to improve things on the pitch that others at the club can’t manage to do even the most basic of things well off it. Even by The Hive’s standards, yesterday’s offering was a disgrace, frankly. Ridiculous queues for drinks due to only having 3 staff in Legends, beer that had gone off, no tea bar open at all, TVs not turned on or not working, both scoreboards still not fixed, ludicrous parking arrangements causing delays getting out etc. - I could go on and on. I would have ended up spending close to another £100 yesterday but in the end spent nothing; I wanted to buy the new away shirt but there weren’t any on sale and the club shop had no idea when they would be, I would have bought drinks for myself and friends but saw the length of the queues and didn’t bother, and I would have bought food but there wasn’t any on sale. Perhaps the BFCSA can explain to the club that there is little point in
putting on offers to entice new supporters in while continuing to offer a matchday experience that is so dire, even for a NL club. It’s such a shame because DB has done such a good job in improving matters on the pitch yet those coming, especially with kids, will be put off coming back if it’s so difficult to get even a bottle of water and some chips.
The poor match day experience has been a constant item of discussion with the club since when we started up again. All these points are valid. We keep being told that it's impossible to source staff and caterers and that other clubs are having the same issues, we're not sure which ones though! If anyone has any contacts who might be interested in either the catering or just a part time job in the bar or tea hut, do let us know! We'll pass it on.
Thanks for your reply Mark and thanks to the whole BFCSA committee for your efforts on this - it's much appreciated. The club's argument that they can't get enough staff might be more understandable if they weren't employing several people every matchday to stand at the car park barrier helping confused supporters due to the ridiculous parking system they've brought in. But TK has clearly decided that we'll be the only NL club that doesn't have a working scoreboard or tea bar but does have number plate recognition car parking. The priorities are so wrong.
let_it_bee

Agree wholeheartedly with the above comments. I left with mixed feelings - delighted with the result and the atmosphere, which showed what could be achieved with better marketing and promotion, but thoroughly dismayed by the customer experience and dilapidated state of our rather magnificent stadium (add the floodlights to the list - couldn't believe the number of bulbs out, luckily not an big yesterday but could be a problem as the evenings draw in). I don't normally make much use of the catering but had a long train journey yesterday so could have murdered a cup of tea and a mars bar! And even the club shop was closed after the game, when surely some would have been tempted by the celebratory mood to go and buy a shirt.
Regards the match, can't add much to what's already been said. Rather alarming the amount of possession and balls into the box that we conceded, but like Halifax and Woking there was (fortunately) a complete lack of cutting edge from the opposition. Not being negative - I guess it was to be expected given the key absentees, the important thing being we still showed the required character, commitment and quality in front of goal to bring home the 3 points quite comfortably in the end.
No mention yet of the officials, who were pretty awful. We've obviously seen that ref before and, whilst I'm all for letting the game flow, I can't believe the number of times he just stares at blatant infringements and does nothing, not to mention the lino on the west side missing numerous offsides by simply not being up with the play. To be fair, they didn't seem to particularly favour one side or the other - just awful decisions throughout.
pgbee

We won't be getting hand driers repaired until after the 85%ers have visited I suspect..
Shmulib100

Tuesds wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 14:08
Shmulib100 wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 13:47 What was the tactical switch Deano made on 20 mins?
Brennan said in one of his interviews that they changed the midfield from having ‘two sitting’ to having ‘two 8s’.

The midfield started with Gorman and Smith sitting deep in front of the back 4, with Pritchard playing a bit further forward in a ‘number 8’ role.

I think the change was that Smith was told to change his role to that of a number 8, with more licence to run around, press the opposition and get forward rather than simply screening the back four. This flipped the midfield triangle on its head, and had the effect of allowing us to cover more ground and win some more possession. I think.
thanks
BGr

pgbee wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 15:52 We won't be getting hand driers repaired until after the 85%ers have visited I suspect..
I really hope our fans smash up the away end bathrooms at their ground this season. It would really improve the look and feel of the place :laugh:
amberforever

BGr wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 16:29
pgbee wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 15:52 We won't be getting hand driers repaired until after the 85%ers have visited I suspect..
I really hope our fans smash up the away end bathrooms at their ground this season. It would really improve the look and feel of the place :laugh:
Only problem is they have no facilities. !
North Finchley Bee

Worse ground I’ve been to (Hemel Hempstead was paradise in comparison, as in Wingarte and Finchley) but they did have half decent refreshments!
WillesdenBee

Vlog from yesterday's game. Me, Grandma and Nick did pretty well with our predictions on goalscorers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdF_DQedNXg
letchbee94

Have to say there a real feel good feeling at moment while watching this team at present, so much more passion skill and effort from the players compared to last few years.
Valter E

WillesdenBee wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 19:34 Vlog from yesterday's game. Me, Grandma and Nick did pretty well with our predictions on goalscorers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdF_DQedNXg
Great vlog, Thanks!