Aldershot (Away) The Match Thread With A Shot Temper

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
rudebwoyben

Re: Aldershot (Away) The Match Thread With A Shot Temper

BeesKnees99 wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 16:34
LoringBee wrote:Unacceptably awful from start to finish. I thought this team might get outplayed at times but did not expect to see it outrun and outbattled like it was today.

Credit to Walker, who kept us in it for a lot longer than we deserved, Pritchard, who did his best to make up for his teammates, and Okimo, who didn’t put a foot wrong (Moussa was decent too, to be fair), but everybody else was poor.

That said, a lot of the problems were tactical. Without RDH we have no link between the midfield three and the front three. The gap between Gorman/Pritchard/Smith and Kabamba was about 40 yards for most of the game and yet DB did nothing to change things tactically apart from haul off Hall, who was one of our better players in the first half. Without any creative, attacking midfielders linking up the play, our only threat is down the wings and that makes us SO easy to defend against - double up on our wingers or push your full-backs on like Aldershot did today and we have nothing to offer except the 90 minutes of aimless hoofs and pointless, overhit punts into the channels that we saw today. The obvious thing to do would have been to go two up top and try to play through the middle more but of course we are the only team in the league (any league?) that has managed to go into the season with only one striker on our books, which, as we all knew would be the case, means we have no Plan B when Plan A isn’t working.

Still, if you are going to play with three defensive midfielders, you might at least expect to dominate possession but the midfield was second to everything all afternoon. Today is a good assessment of where we are without EMC, a back-up attacking midfielder or a second striker. Frankly it’s been coming, too - our performances have been getting worse and today and we were well beaten.
Agree our performances have been declining.

Funny that Brennan rather cockily stated our Eastleigh win was the worst performance so far - wonder what his assessment will be this time…

In any event, what’s he done about it other than make two useless signings, none of whom are strikers and one of whom (Bevan) was apparently at fault for their second?

RDH, Collinge and EMC huge absentees.
What is it with your kneejerk posts? Revan and Kanu have played 45 minutes for us and you have already decided that they are useless.
Last edited by rudebwoyben on 03 Sep 2022, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
Mikel Bee

We aren't going to win every game. It doesn't mean the sky is falling in.
Roy57

LoringBee wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 16:29 Unacceptably awful from start to finish. I thought this team might get outplayed at times but did not expect to see it outrun and outbattled like it was today.

Credit to Walker, who kept us in it for a lot longer than we deserved, Pritchard, who did his best to make up for his teammates, and Okimo, who didn’t put a foot wrong (Moussa was decent too, to be fair), but everybody else was poor.

That said, a lot of the problems were tactical. Without RDH we have no link between the midfield three and the front three. The gap between Gorman/Pritchard/Smith and Kabamba was about 40 yards for most of the game and yet DB did nothing to change things tactically apart from haul off Hall, who was one of our better players in the first half. Without any creative, attacking midfielders linking up the play, our only threat is down the wings and that makes us SO easy to defend against - double up on our wingers or push your full-backs on like Aldershot did today and we have nothing to offer except the 90 minutes of aimless hoofs and pointless, overhit punts into the channels that we saw today. The obvious thing to do would have been to go two up top and try to play through the middle more but of course we are the only team in the league (any league?) that has managed to go into the season with only one striker on our books, which, as we all knew would be the case, means we have no Plan B when Plan A isn’t working.

Still, if you are going to play with three defensive midfielders, you might at least expect to dominate possession but the midfield was second to everything all afternoon. Today is a good assessment of where we are without EMC, a back-up attacking midfielder or a second striker. Frankly it’s been coming, too - our performances have been getting worse and today and we were well beaten.
Sounds pretty much spot on.
Psycho

Mikel Bee wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 16:39 We aren't going to win every game. It doesn't mean the sky is falling in.
This was a team who had lost every match this season apart from a freak 2-1 win at Boreham Wood. The boycott from their supporters must have inspired them with no one on their backs to hurl abuse and destroy their confidence.

A week to stew over this now. Balls.
Last edited by Psycho on 03 Sep 2022, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Chainsaw

11bee717 wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 16:22 The reactions on here are utterly ridiculous considering the last couple seasons. Awful performance granted, but it’s not the end of the world
Completely agree with this post and BeeArmy22's.
There wasn't much in it and Aldershot weren't that bad coming into this fixture. None of our players were effective today. Two defensive errors gave them their first two goals. Our best period followed Pritchard's goal and if Kabamba's point blank volley had gone in on 42 minutes I think we would have won. With 50+ games in a season you are bound to have off days. We move on.
Roy57

As bad as we were today, players, selection tactics etc. But I do agree we cannot suggest the two new signings are crap. Especially after just 45 mins, must be given a few months before any judgement can be made.
Chainsaw

It's REVAN not Bevan.
BeesKnees99

It’s not knee-jerk to suggest you’ve got to win these sorts of fixtures to have any serious chance of achieving anything. I hope I’m wrong about the new signings but disappointing early signs.
WhetstoneBee

You can criticise the new signings for specific things but it’s far far too early to write them off as players. Yes Revan was single-handledly responsible for their second goal but looked OK up until then and his error wouldn’t have mattered had Beard not given away a stupid penalty and Kabamba not squandered four very good chances. Kanu did little of note but at least got on the ball and looked lively. He was no worse than Shields or others today.
Mickbee

Not going to make any judgement until we've played 10 games. With the infux of players it was always going to take time for they to jell if indeed they do, but ffs give it a bit of time before throwing the toys out!
john dockers shorts

Today was very close to being a hard fought point.

We responded well to going down a goal, excellent header from Pritchard. Couple of great saves from their keeper. We conceded chances first half but we got a grip of them.

Second half was dreadful.

Hall coming off replaced with Kanu who had a stinker

The new defender looked excellent and gave the ball away in the most unfathomable way to gift wrap the shots their second.

3rd was just a sucker punch.

Terrible second 45 mins, Brennan messed the team up with his subs.

As I said we were so close to walking off with a point.

I don't think we will see this performance again based on the standard set.
Modernist

Credit to Aldershot, I think they were far more up for it from the word go. I agree with much has already been said.
Beard was poor especially first half and made a bulked up Amalozor look top notch.

Smith looked assured in midfield but I really don't want to see him and Gorman in the same side too often. RDH was badly missed.

Rob Hall was a threat and surprised to see him subbed quite as quick. Kabamba worked hard but had little service.
Gorman who has been very good continually over hit passes or sent the ball towards no one.

I thought Kanu showed flashes of something, the new lad in defence had a mare. I think his ears must still be ringing after the earful he got from Pritchard after the horrendous mistake for the 2nd goal.

Think we badly missed Collinge as well.

All in all a sobering result.
EastBarnetBee

Chainsaw wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 16:30
EastBarnetBee wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 15:00 Does anyone know what happened to Ron? He attended Barnet games regularly but has not been seen for a long time. He is a postman in his 50s I believe.
He's been going to Barnet FC for decades. Something's happened
We haven’t seen him since the lockdown. He was always very vocal in the stands. I’m concerned if he’s alright or not. Hopefully he’s just taking a break and nothing serious.
CrawleyBee

EastBarnetBee wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 18:03
Chainsaw wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 16:30
EastBarnetBee wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 15:00 Does anyone know what happened to Ron? He attended Barnet games regularly but has not been seen for a long time. He is a postman in his 50s I believe.
He's been going to Barnet FC for decades. Something's happened
We haven’t seen him since the lockdown. He was always very vocal in the stands. I’m concerned if he’s alright or not. Hopefully he’s just taking a break and nothing serious.
Known Ron for years, he doesn’t use social media or have a phone, hope he’s okay. Let’s hope we see him at a game soon!
Formerly Watfordbee
becbee

I can accept the criticism from those who were there but it really annoys me when people who weren't even at the match seem to delight in reverting to moaning.

Every match I've seen this season ( 4 out of previous 6) we've started slowly and it's been down to a mixture of Laurie Walker and opposition poor finishing that we've not conceded then. Aldershot may have been bottom of the league but strangely enough they looked better finishers than the other teams. But they were a poor team.

The penalty was a gift, the equaliser was a good goal. But unlike other matches, we didn't improve after a slow start. I guess almost every player had his worst performance of the season. Also the substitutions weakened the team.

We looked to have done enough to hold on to the draw - which would have been a fair result as neither deserved to win . But then a defensive howler gave the ball away for them to score. 3-1 just put a gloss on the score line for them.

We didn't lose because of the ref but he was appalling. Aldershot manhandled our players straight from kick off, but then he booked ours for incidents no worse. He just didn't have a clue.