Aldershot (Away) The Match Thread With A Shot Temper

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
becbee

Re: Aldershot (Away) The Match Thread With A Shot Temper

Modernist wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 18:03 Credit to Aldershot, I think they were far more up for it from the word go. I agree with much has already been said.
Beard was poor especially first half and made a bulked up Amalozor look top notch.

Smith looked assured in midfield but I really don't want to see him and Gorman in the same side too often. RDH was badly missed.

Rob Hall was a threat and surprised to see him subbed quite as quick. Kabamba worked hard but had little service.
Gorman who has been very good continually over hit passes or sent the ball towards no one.

I thought Kanu showed flashes of something, the new lad in defence had a mare. I think his ears must still be ringing after the earful he got from Pritchard after the horrendous mistake for the 2nd goal.

Think we badly missed Collinge as well.

All in all a sobering result.
Excellent post, agree with every word - although IMO Beard did improve in the second half.
11bee717

Had RDH been on the pitch today I am sure of a comfortable win. We slowed the game down when we should’ve been attacking, and at other times everything was rushed and way too forced. Unsure as to why Armstrong or Flanagan didn’t make the bench, they would’ve really helped us. Kanu looked sharp and had some nice touches but with everything being hoofed it was difficult for him. What cost us the game today was taking off Rob Hall at HT. All the play had been through him, and he pressed brilliantly to win us the corner that he also took and we scored from.
Very poor performance and a bad result, but it almost feels as if some fans enjoy us losing so they can have a long rant about recruitment etc etc without attending the game
11bee717

11bee717 wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 19:03 Had RDH been on the pitch today I am sure of a comfortable win. We slowed the game down when we should’ve been attacking, and at other times everything was rushed and way too forced. Unsure as to why Armstrong or Flanagan didn’t make the bench, they would’ve really helped us. Kanu looked sharp and had some nice touches but with everything being hoofed it was difficult for him. What cost us the game today was taking off Rob Hall at HT. All the play had been through him, and he pressed brilliantly to win us the corner that he also took and we scored from.
Very poor performance and a bad result, but it almost feels as if some fans enjoy us losing so they can have a long rant about recruitment etc etc without attending the game
Forgot to mention the insane goal line clearance from Pritchard. What a player. I do feel for Revan after the bolocking he got from him though
Itsmeerc

I think Rob Hall was probably subbed due to injury. Noticed a few times that when play was up the other end he was limping slightly / not looking comfortable. Probably due to a foul midway through the first half. Hopefully just subbed as a precaution. Agree that if it was a tactical move it was a poor one.
Roy57

Changing the subject concerning today's performance does anyone know the reason for complete breakdown in clubs Twitter updates ( or lack of any ) and on clubs own web site. It's like everyone has gone on holiday.
WillesdenBee

Vlog from today's game. We were dreadful, think you can tell from my reactions...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGZXDKWNJY
CrawleyBee

Very poor today. We move on. Would have taken this start, big next 2 games.
Formerly Watfordbee
hoofer2

Let's be realistic. With a newly assembled squad I would not have expected us to be on 13 points from 7 games. I did not go today, but to hold on and concede 2 last minute goals must hurt, regardless of performance.

In my opinion absence of Collinge and RDH will have had a greater impact than EMC.

Hall is a concern. In games I have seen he looks to be carrying an injury. I also agree Beard has not hit the level of performance he did last year. An alternative view is he has, but calibre of player around him stronger.
DSM

There is an opening this season for weaker teams to sneak into 6th and 7th place than there was last season. IMO the league is weaker this year. Stockport and Grimsby have gone and been replaced by mediocre teams. Halifax have been ripped apart and Southend, daggers, bwood and Bromley are no stronger. The top 4 are stronger than ever and we have zero chance of being ahead of them but there is an opening from 5th.

Onto yesterday, we will be bottom half if we play like that every week. Slow 3 sameish players in midfield, Gorman trying to find the scholes pass all game and failing every time. Only Okimo, Walker, hall and Pritchard came out of it with credit. Okimo looks class. Moussa was subbed I think bcoz of his distribution and the fact that he kept giving the ball away. Our new kid will learn and id start his against Southend, think the worst thing we can do is set him stew on it. Kanu showed glimpses and tried but overall they deserved the 3 points and amaluzour made beard look like Josh Doherty.

How we react against a decent Southend team will be key, is this the beginning of a slide or was it just an isolated bad day at the office.
pletch99

BeesKnees99 wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 16:34 In any event, what’s he done about it other than make two useless signings, none of whom are strikers and one of whom (Revan) was apparently at fault for their second?
Literally speechless. I get that you are upset at losing, this is a ridiculous thing to say. Have you actually seen either player play recently? On paper both look like they could be good signings.

Neither player will have had much time to get to know the rest of the team yet and it's likely that neither is properly match fit.

As someone who has seen both players play for exactly 45 minutes I'm certainly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

For what it's worth I thought Kanu looked like he had a decent touch and a fair amount of pace, but he didn't really have the opportunity to demonstrate what he can do, since he barely got a decent pass all half and when he did get the ball, he instantly had multiple opposition players snapping at his heels.

As for Redon, he came up against a player in Effiong who was having a really good game and he'd done OK for most of the half before making a horrendous error. It a terrible start for the lad and it might well knock his confidence going forward, but it's MUCH to early to write him off.
11bee717

hoofer2 wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 22:51 Let's be realistic. With a newly assembled squad I would not have expected us to be on 13 points from 7 games. I did not go today, but to hold on and concede 2 last minute goals must hurt, regardless of performance.

In my opinion absence of Collinge and RDH will have had a greater impact than EMC.

Hall is a concern. In games I have seen he looks to be carrying an injury. I also agree Beard has not hit the level of performance he did last year. An alternative view is he has, but calibre of player around him stronger.
Hall was excellent yesterday. Bought us a corner with great pressing and then whipped in the delivery for our goal. All the play was through him, and when he went off we looked very lost.
pletch99

Thought I'd sleep on things before posting as I came away from the game really disappointed.

Reflecting, on the game I don't think enough credit is being given to Aldershot - they were totally up for it and in Effiong and Amaluzor had two attackers who were really on their game.

Amaluzor was unrecognisable from the player who was at The Hive - he's bulked up and seems to have found a real turn of pace. He gave Beard a really uncomfortable afternoon and I suspect Beard won't be the last left back to have a difficult afternoon at the Rec this season. If Aldershot play like that every week, they won't be bottom for long.

Now having said that we really didn't help ourselves at all. I thought there was plenty of effort and fight in the team and to be honest on 89 minutes I was thinking that we had battled well to get a point. While we'd had a difficult afternoon - we actually defended pretty well. Walker had only made routine saves, plus Pritchard made a remarkable clearance off the line. They players certainly looked like they really cared when Aldershot's winner went in.

Where things went totally wrong was that we just couldn't get any passing going - I thought we actually did OK at recovering the ball - the problem was that we constantly gave he ball back to Aldershot, particularly in the last half hour.

I thought the first half was OK - not good - but we kept the ball and managed to work some attacking positions, although even then the final pass was consistently overhit. However, I could see what the players were trying to do - Gorman actually tried to play some really intelligent through balls - unfortunately he kept overhitting them. In contrast Aldershot's long balls forward caused no end of problems because they consistently put the ball in areas where they could cause us problems.

In the second half our ability to keep the ball totally disintegrated and we ended up just hoofing the ball forward.

A couple of other things:

Brennan clearly tried to win the game by bringing on Powell for Smith. I give him some credit for trying to win the game, but given that midfield was where we were struggling, I think losing a man from this area was a mistake.

Finally I am surprised nobody else has complained about the referee - thought he was dreadful - kept letting late tackles go. Barnet players were booked, but when Aldershot players did the same things it no cards were shown. Aldershot's third goal came from Powell losing the ball because an Aldershot player dragged him back, virutally removing his shirt. It was a blatant free kick and probably worthy of a yellow card. The referee played on and Aldershot went straight down the other end and scored. Now I can't blame the referee for losing - ultimately we had a point and then threw it away by getting caught in possession when we could simply have cleared the ball - that was all self inflicted, but he certainly didn't help.
Roy57

Has the new Media guy left already, as next to nothing on Twitter account were normally gives supporters who cannot attend good updates. And still no post match interview with Dean. Nothing either on clubs web site.
Roy57

pletch99 wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 11:58
Walker had only made routine saves,
Surprised that you say Walker only made routine saves, according to commentary the save Walker made second half they said was best save they have seen all season. Unless because he has pulled off some remarkable saves this season perhaps yesterday's one was not up to the others, and we are getting spoilt.
Added, on YouTube there is post match post interview from Aldershot manager and post match interview from there player Effiong, but sod all from us, embarrassing no matter what the excuse.
Last edited by Roy57 on 04 Sep 2022, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Roy57

WillesdenBee wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 20:30 Vlog from today's game. We were dreadful, think you can tell from my reactions...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGZXDKWNJY
Great blog as always, your views all game pretty much summer it up. Worrying thing is how you say we have got away with results in previous games, which have seen commentated before. Every time we take good away following approx 260 we play shite. But because of yesterday probably will loose 50-100 of those that attended. Shame but not suprised. Great vlog keep them coming.