Southen (Hive) The Rest in Peace Your Majesty Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Underhill Glory

Re: Southen (Hive) The Rest in Peace Your Majesty Match Thread

A very poor decision. I would like to know what relevance football not being an essential service has to anything? The rest of the country is not grinding to a halt which begs the question, why should football?

A group of three of us had organised a trip down from Bristol for our first game of the season. It seems fairly unlikely this opportunity will come again until the Christmas break.
Patel89

Guys football has been cancelled due to the sheer amount of policing that it needs cricket and rugby does not need as much
Bee_Forever

DerekRocholl wrote:
Bee_Forever wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 16:18 Some of the comments on here are just ridiculous.

"This will make people quite rightfully wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy". Only if you were a republican already. I very much doubt that having one football game postponed is going to be the straw which broke the camel's back and lead us to President Truss.

"I had to work, why should football be cancelled?" Because football is not an essential service. No idea what you do but as a rule the world does not go to hell in handcart if the football is cancelled. If a Doctor does not turn up for work on the other hand....

"I resent being forced to Mourn" No one is forcing you to do anything. You just can't go to football. Go for a walk. Potter in the garden, do whatever you please and no-one will have a go at you for the quality of your mourning or lack thereof.

I strongly feel that this weekend's games should be cancelled and that the decision to do so was right, proporitionate and a reflection of the national mood of mourning, grief and wanting to pay respects to a public servant who has been in post for 70 years and put her responsibilities to the state above all else.

I accept that there will be those who don't feel as strongly and who feel the decision to postpone the game is an overreaction. I would never dare to tell someone how to feel about something like this.

But some of the responses on this thread have been frankly laughable.
If you read the Government Guidance on this issue, which will have been cleared with the Palace, there is a very strong indication that they didn’t want Sports events to be cancelled on any day other than the day of the State Funeral.

Annoying people with unnecessary decisions like this isn’t a mark of respect, it’s contempt for the people who pay the wages of the officials in question.
Sporting bodies are independent from governments so will make their own decisions but you do raise a fair point.

Not sure why you quoted my OP while doing so.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

MCB

Your old dad was right.

Why is it respectful to goto the rugby but not football?

Just very odd.
barnetjohn

I haven't visited this forum or posted on here for a while. TBH this isn't the most good-natured or constructive thread I've seen either.

I appreciate people are going to have different views on cancellation of matches, but I just wanted to say that on this, I think it was a really tricky situation and there are no easy decisions.

Any sort of collective event like a football match is difficult because you only have 2 choices- cancel it or let it go ahead. For the former, some people feel frustrated that they have been prevented from going to it, in the latter, others feel annoyed it's gone ahead and are put in a difficult position.

You have to make a decision for the whole competition, and it's not going to be an easy one. Authorities have to balance things. Plus practical considerations too: football can be re-arranged for midweek, but it's much harder for rugby (because of longer recovery time) or test cricket (where you run into international scheduling issues), ditto for policing resources which are likely to be stretched in coming days. Also, these might be different at different levels, but then you run into the dilemma of either doing a one size fits all approach, or risking inconsistency by imposing a cutoff at a certain level.
I'm not going to get into what I would have done here, but I just wanted to flag this is a really tricky decisions and TBH there isn't a simple answer. I don't often say that, and I rarely say I have sympathy for the FA- but on this one I do.

A bit of goodwill and humility would be good here- it's not an easy decision whichever way you call it.

Sorry if this sounds a bit like someone's grandad, but sometimes decisions in life are a bit complicated.
becbee

Patel89 wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 17:15 Guys football has been cancelled due to the sheer amount of policing that it needs cricket and rugby does not need as much
I cannot believe that policing is the issue. I can imagine there will be extra police on duty around Buckingham Palace. But where else? And in any case how many police officers are ever on duty at a run of the mill NL match?
barnetjohn

becbee wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 17:24
Patel89 wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 17:15 Guys football has been cancelled due to the sheer amount of policing that it needs cricket and rugby does not need as much
I cannot believe that policing is the issue. I can imagine there will be extra police on duty around Buckingham Palace. But where else? And in any case how many police officers are ever on duty at a run of the mill NL match?
Thing is though it's tricky where to draw the line. Potentially could do it via attendance or league level but that would create anomalies too.

I suspect the choice boiled down to either going ahead with the full programme or cancelling it. Not an easy call either way.
DerekRocholl

Bee_Forever wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 17:16
DerekRocholl wrote:
Bee_Forever wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 16:18 Some of the comments on here are just ridiculous.

"This will make people quite rightfully wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy". Only if you were a republican already. I very much doubt that having one football game postponed is going to be the straw which broke the camel's back and lead us to President Truss.

"I had to work, why should football be cancelled?" Because football is not an essential service. No idea what you do but as a rule the world does not go to hell in handcart if the football is cancelled. If a Doctor does not turn up for work on the other hand....

"I resent being forced to Mourn" No one is forcing you to do anything. You just can't go to football. Go for a walk. Potter in the garden, do whatever you please and no-one will have a go at you for the quality of your mourning or lack thereof.

I strongly feel that this weekend's games should be cancelled and that the decision to do so was right, proporitionate and a reflection of the national mood of mourning, grief and wanting to pay respects to a public servant who has been in post for 70 years and put her responsibilities to the state above all else.

I accept that there will be those who don't feel as strongly and who feel the decision to postpone the game is an overreaction. I would never dare to tell someone how to feel about something like this.

If you read the Government Guidance on this issue, which will have been cleared with the Palace, there is a very strong indication that they didn’t want Sports events to be cancelled on any day other than the day of the State Funeral.

Annoying people with unnecessary decisions like this isn’t a mark of respect, it’s contempt for the people who pay the wages of the officials in question.
Sporting bodies are independent from governments so will make their own decisions but you do raise a fair point.

I quoted you to respond to your assertion that the decision to cancel the games was right.
Bee_Forever

DerekRocholl wrote:
Bee_Forever wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 17:16
DerekRocholl wrote:

I quoted you to respond to your assertion that the decision to cancel the games was right.
That was not my point however.

It was that regardless of how you feel about it. Some of the reactions were somewhat irrational on here.

alexbach

At the end of the day.....it gets dark. As lord Cosgrove of Basingstoke once opined..are you New here? Compensation was mentioned..The decision was made for Barnet..I wouldn't hold my breathe. presumably the funeral details will have to be confirmed before the situation next Saturday is known

Sent from my 5033XR using Tapatalk

ETBee

Interesting to hear that during the accession meeting this morning it was agreed that the day of the Queen's funeral would be a bank holiday. Makes me think that it will not be on a Saturday so no more game postponements.
Beeboardwarrior

Struggling to understand some of the reactions on here...this is something that hasn't happened for 70 years and we are talking about postponing one game of football, not exactly the end of the world is it?
Mikel Bee

It's our own fault apparently. Football fans can't be trusted.

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1 ... 2080741377
Psycho

Tuesday 13th September - Dorking Wanderers (home).

Saturday 17th September - Solihull Moors (away).

Three days without football. OMG the world was going to end. I hope now that everything is in place with the bank holiday funeral, posters can get off their soapboxes.
Last edited by Psycho on 10 Sep 2022, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Roy57

Well said Sir, totally agree with every word.