Torquay (Atlantis) The Fawlty Towers Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Chainsaw

Re: Torquay (Atlantis) The Fawlty Towers Match Thread

LoringBee wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 17:30 Very strange game. Thought we were pretty dreadful TBH and only some terrible finishing, some great last-ditch defending/goalkeeping and a lot of luck let us off the hook. Not sure we had another shot on target beyond the one that resulted in the goal! For me the shape was wrong today and playing Armstrong and RDH playing out of position didn’t work. I was also surprised not to see Shields and Flanagan brought on given we were playing poorly and some players were clearly knackered. Still, a sign of a good mentality to win despite playing poorly, and to see out the game when Torquay were well on top. MOTM was Collinge by a mile. Three points, another clean sheet and up to sixth - well done DB and the team!
Collinge was excellent but matched by Ben Wynter playing against his old club and receiving abuse from their fans which seemed to drive him on.
BeesKnees99

Ugly win today. Barely threatened after we scored &, invited a ridiculous amount of pressure, absolutely nerve-shredding stuff.

I can’t believe we’ve come away with a clean sheet today but the football gods are shining down on us at the moment.

FWIW I thought Torquay weren’t terrible, just lacking a clinical edge.

Good atmosphere though, and a special mention to the lads in Block E - we’re lucky to have them, they really liven up the morgue.
finchleyman

Poor game and not a good advertisement for new spectators. Much head tennis and not much played along the ground. Don't really understand the tactics. We are riding our luck. Walker kept Torquay at bay (geddit??). But another clean sheet and another three points - so well done Bees.
CrawleyBee

BeesKnees99 wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 18:08 Ugly win today. Barely threatened after we scored &, invited a ridiculous amount of pressure, absolutely nerve-shredding stuff.

I can’t believe we’ve come away with a clean sheet today but the football gods are shining down on us at the moment.

FWIW I thought Torquay weren’t terrible, just lacking a clinical edge.

Good atmosphere though, and a special mention to the lads in Block E - we’re lucky to have them, they really liven up the morgue.

Agree about the lads in Block E, been years since any sort of atmosphere, keep it up.

Poor game, but vital 3 points, we move on!
Formerly Watfordbee
North Finchley Bee

Agree with many of the comments. We were really tired in midfield today and it was the defence and Walker that really kept us in it. All four defenders, Gorman and Pritchard were solid. Saying all of that, I don't know what Kabamba has for breakfast, but he's constantly running, playing his guts out. With Gormo and Pritchard as the screen for the defence, we have scope for a more creative midfield with Shields, Kanu and Hall behind Kabamba. I thought Torquay were very poor. A very tall physical team who played to their strengths (balls up and over and constant aerial battles) and we let them to a degree that was uncomfortable to watch, though we just about handled it. Torquay will struggle to stay up I fear. If we'd kept it more on the floor we could have nicked a couple. We did have a couple of solid chances (literally a couple) that perhaps we should have put away. But in the final analysis we ground out a win, and that's the key thing. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't sexy, but it was 3 points. We are in sixth place, we are in the play offs. Let's keep that positive vibe going. And as the lads who were bouncing up and down so much in E block that I thought we were going to have a stand disaster on our hands would say 'Shalarlarlarlar Barnet'
amberforever

Lads in block E. man of the match !
Roy57

Well done Block E.
alexbach

16511 at notts county.. record apparently

Sent from my 5033XR using Tapatalk

becbee

When we scored so early, even usually pessimistic me thought we'd go on to score more.
First half was ok, at least we looked better than them. second half was almost like a Borehamwood match! Torquay still looked very poor but they had us sussed out, which is more than most of our opponents have done. We lost our usual passing game and in all fairness, they were unlucky not to get a point at least. I suppose the result was typical of when a team in play offs plays a team in the relegation zone.

I like Shields but it wouldn't have been the right match for him, just as it wasn't for Hall when he came on.
foxy

alexbach wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 18:43 16511 at notts county.. record apparently

Sent from my 5033XR using Tapatalk
Very relevant!
amberforever

They look too solid for bottom of the league. Just short of some finishing.
Mickbee

Definitely a 'Sally Gunnel' performance. Started off well and deservedly ahead at half time. But very flat 2nd half in truth never looked like adding a 2nd until late on, by which time Torquay should and could have level at least. I'll take the three points and move on. The memories of the last two seasons are still too fresh to moan about three points.
bzzzzz

I know he brought them up and almost got promotion back to the football league, but Torquay have really struggled this season. I'm not sure what's changed, and I'm not sure if we were in that situation we'd keep faith with the same manager.

I hope Johnson manages to turn things round
letchbee94

Was not our best performance of season but to be honest the win is all that matters.

When we was at bottom of table how many times was we saying "oh we deserved something today and did everything but score"

Ugly win 1 goal a clean sheet up to 6th in table.