Accrington (Wham) The Wake Me Up Before You Go Go Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
wiggy

Re: Accrington (Wham) The Wake Me Up Before You Go Go Thread

Interesting that Accrington boss John Coleman said the prize money for beating us will enable him to sign a new striker:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63781240
Mikel Bee

Roy57 wrote:Yeah see Borehamwood v Accrington. But don't think we would of if we had beaten them. As clubs are in alphabetical order, so a guess we would of been number 4 which was Birmingham (and they would of been number 5),, who have been drawn away to Forest green. So either way nothing to get excited about. be good if this was on a day when we had no game, as depending on admission I wouldn't mind going to cheer on Accrington. Lol
Not quite. The ball numbers were decided before the weekend.

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 3-sGg&s=19

Makes me feel a lot better about the Accy result. Playing the Wood 3 times in under 2 weeks would have been soul destroying. We'd have probably beaten them though.
becbee

Roy57 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 19:44 Yeah see Borehamwood v Accrington. But don't think we would of if we had beaten them. As clubs are in alphabetical order, so a guess we would of been number 4 which was Birmingham (and they would of been number 5),, who have been drawn away to Forest green. So either way nothing to get excited about. be good if this was on a day when we had no game, as depending on admission I wouldn't mind going to cheer on Accrington. Lol
The Prem and Championship sides were in alphabetical order, the qualifiers from round 2 weren't.
The qualifiers were numbered from 45. Accrington were ball 47, Borehamwood ball 57. So had we won, we'd have been ball 47 and drawn BW.
letchbee94

Not so gutting now after seeing who we would have got though the money would have been useful for Brennan.
djhdjh

Norfolkbee wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 17:56
hoofer2 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 12:07
Roy57 wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 23:51 I don't believe it, Boringwood have reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup for the third year running, if they are lucky enough to draw another big name away there budget and what it might be possible to spend will leave us standing and falling behind yet again to them. Breaks my heart to see them having good cup runs which bring in so much money.
Good luck to them. They are well run and continuity means they are challenging at right end of table season on season.

What was the attendance Brizzle Rovers with their millions and millions of fans vs BW one man and his dog?
BW have a manager who sticks with a style of football (?) that works for him and the players he employs. He has a plan and sticks to it whereas Barnet's succession of managers have never settled on anything. DB is getting close to it.
Sure BW's style is not pretty, but neither was some of the stuff served up when we had MA in charge, but few complained because it worked. Whether or not that brand of football would work in the EFL is debatable - it did not seem to for MA.
Allen had an overall very good record in the Football League, with us Gillingham and Brentford. Not perfect by any means (and Eastleigh fans would say he wasn't perfect at this level either) but to suggest his brand of football didn't work at that level is a stretch.

John Coleman at Accrington has been a miracle worker over more than 20 years in 2 spells. Taken them from two levels below the Conference all the way to League 1 and stabilised them at that level too. All with a club that aren't a big club by Conference standards. As Tuesds said it's not like it's transferred elsewhere but in a sense it doesn't matter. It's one of the great football stories of the last two decades.
john dockers shorts

So annoying we've missed our opportunity to go to Grimsby away in the 4th round, gutted!
Norfolkbee

djhdjh wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 21:47
Norfolkbee wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 17:56
hoofer2 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 12:07
Roy57 wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 23:51 I don't believe it, Boringwood have reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup for the third year running, if they are lucky enough to draw another big name away there budget and what it might be possible to spend will leave us standing and falling behind yet again to them. Breaks my heart to see them having good cup runs which bring in so much money.
Good luck to them. They are well run and continuity means they are challenging at right end of table season on season.

What was the attendance Brizzle Rovers with their millions and millions of fans vs BW one man and his dog?
BW have a manager who sticks with a style of football (?) that works for him and the players he employs. He has a plan and sticks to it whereas Barnet's succession of managers have never settled on anything. DB is getting close to it.
Sure BW's style is not pretty, but neither was some of the stuff served up when we had MA in charge, but few complained because it worked. Whether or not that brand of football would work in the EFL is debatable - it did not seem to for MA.
Allen had an overall very good record in the Football League, with us Gillingham and Brentford. Not perfect by any means (and Eastleigh fans would say he wasn't perfect at this level either) but to suggest his brand of football didn't work at that level is a stretch.

John Coleman at Accrington has been a miracle worker over more than 20 years in 2 spells. Taken them from two levels below the Conference all the way to League 1 and stabilised them at that level too. All with a club that aren't a big club by Conference standards. As Tuesds said it's not like it's transferred elsewhere but in a sense it doesn't matter. It's one of the great football stories of the last two decades.
Darren Currie got us playing decent football, but it all fell apart due to covid and TK's unwillingness to let him finish the job. Sadly, DC was a manager who fitted in with everything at the club with the exception of the chairman.
bzzzzz

Under Currie we had a good cup run. Beating Sheffield United was a bit special - but it wasn't an incredible game. We managed to win 1-0 with a penalty. I didn't see the home tie against Brentford, but Dan Sparkes produced a very special free kick. We had our fair dose of luck in that run. Despite that support for Currie was far from unanimous on here and we were often a midtable side. I don't think we'd have made the play offs without covid (We seemed to do disproportionately well from the points per game ruling).

All in all, I'm more encouraged by what I see DB building than what Currie managed to assemble. Perhaps it's partly due to depths from which we've come. The National League is now tougher than it's ever been, with a lot of big names with very large attendances. Wrexham have boosted the reputation of the league with their Hollywood ownership, and having Notts County, Southend and Chesterfield all securing 5000+ gates this. I'm just hoping we can continue to build on these foundations.

I take encouragement from the fact the DB turned us down as manager when he was first offered as he was keen to see through a project he'd started at Wealdstone. Loyalty isn't often seen in football and I'm hoping that if DB were offered something at a club only a small step up he'd choose to stick with us.
Norfolkbee

bzzzzz wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 22:47 Under Currie we had a good cup run. Beating Sheffield United was a bit special - but it wasn't an incredible game. We managed to win 1-0 with a penalty. I didn't see the home tie against Brentford, but Dan Sparkes produced a very special free kick. We had our fair dose of luck in that run. Despite that support for Currie was far from unanimous on here and we were often a midtable side. I don't think we'd have made the play offs without covid (We seemed to do disproportionately well from the points per game ruling).

All in all, I'm more encouraged by what I see DB building than what Currie managed to assemble. Perhaps it's partly due to depths from which we've come. The National League is now tougher than it's ever been, with a lot of big names with very large attendances. Wrexham have boosted the reputation of the league with their Hollywood ownership, and having Notts County, Southend and Chesterfield all securing 5000+ gates this. I'm just hoping we can continue to build on these foundations.

I take encouragement from the fact the DB turned us down as manager when he was first offered as he was keen to see through a project he'd started at Wealdstone. Loyalty isn't often seen in football and I'm hoping that if DB were offered something at a club only a small step up he'd choose to stick with us.
I'm heartened by what DB is doing now, however, I believe you are being a tad unfair on DC, who did try to get Barnet to at least play a bit of football.
#Beebot

Norfolkbee wrote:
bzzzzz wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 22:47 Under Currie we had a good cup run. Beating Sheffield United was a bit special - but it wasn't an incredible game. We managed to win 1-0 with a penalty. I didn't see the home tie against Brentford, but Dan Sparkes produced a very special free kick. We had our fair dose of luck in that run. Despite that support for Currie was far from unanimous on here and we were often a midtable side. I don't think we'd have made the play offs without covid (We seemed to do disproportionately well from the points per game ruling).

I'm heartened by what DB is doing now, however, I believe you are being a tad unfair on DC, who did try to get Barnet to at least play a bit of football.
I think DB is building a better squad, but I trusted DC's tactics more
BeeArmy22

I would’ve said covid was the reason we didn’t go up under DC. That run we were on was incredible and I’m sure if we’d have been able to play the season out to its conclusion we would’ve come higher than 7th. Maybe we could’ve even avoided the extra play off game.
rudebwoyben

I think we would have finished 5th that season if it had not been curtailed.
A play-off semi against Notts County with a full squad would have been a very different matter.
Norfolkbee

rudebwoyben wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 08:32 I think we would have finished 5th that season if it had not been curtailed.
A play-off semi against Notts County with a full squad would have been a very different matter.
Uncertainty over DC's future also played a part. The friction between him and the chairman was never a good thing. TK always regarded DC as Still's man and as such was always wary of him. This was typified over the signing of the "wrong" striker, which should/would never have happened with a proper dialogue between the two. Either that or TK decided at the 11th hour to save few quid by signing the one he did. :laugh:
11bee717

For those who went, how was Annesley?
beew

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... arnet.html

Interesting article on the finance side of our trip to Accy