The rest of the season

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Tuesds

Re: The rest of the season

rudebwoyben wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 20:30 I think I saw somewhere that the play-off final will be at Wembley this season.
It’s definitely been reported that The National League want the Play-Off final to be at Wembley (eg https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... lf_ASZtChA), however I don’t think either Wembley or The National League have confirmed that it will be there.
becbee

A lot of very good points made.

I think Woking away on Saturday and Chesterfield home on Saturday week will give us a better idea as to where we stand. Take 4 or 6 points from the 2 matches and I'll maybe start to dream about P.O.s.

Let's not be complacent about Torquay. We expected an easy win in the home match and in the end were lucky to get the 3 points.
WillesdenBee

Tuesds wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 22:25
rudebwoyben wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 20:30 I think I saw somewhere that the play-off final will be at Wembley this season.
It’s definitely been reported that The National League want the Play-Off final to be at Wembley (eg https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... lf_ASZtChA), however I don’t think either Wembley or The National League have confirmed that it will be there.
It’s going round that it’s going to be at The Emirates but nothing confirmed yet
eastbarnetsupporter

Never seen Barnet at Wembley, and this is a life-long dream so I'd pick a FA trophy run if forced to choose. It would be a day that would stick with bees fans for generations.

I've witnessed 2 promotions and 3 relegations, and unless there is some miraculous cash injection, we'll probably be an L2/Conference yo-yo team for the foreseeable future.
becbee

I appreciate the desire to see Barnet at Wembley. But the happy memories only come from winning at Wembley.

In 1998 I watched Southport play Cheltenham in the FAT Final at Wembley. I still have my foam hand from the match! But Southport were outplayed in a match of few opportunities and lost 1-0. The day was a complete anti-climax.

But I suppose the opposite viewpoint is that if you reach the final, you equally might win. And after all, those of us who went to Old Trafford in 2005 still remember the occasion even if hope diminished after 90 seconds.
Norfolkbee

I turned up to watch Barnet play Stafford Rangers at Wembley. Unfortunately, Barnet did not!
eastbarnetsupporter

Norfolkbee wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 15:54 I turned up to watch Barnet play Stafford Rangers at Wembley. Unfortunately, Barnet did not!
Was the majority of the crowd casual football fans or was there a sizable Barnet turnout?
JWTBee

I was there at Wembley in 1972! I would love to see Barnet there again this year so for me the FA Trophy is the priority.With a different result of course! As others have said to win the Play-Offs is a really big ask with 2 out of Wrexham,Notts County & Chesterfield in them.
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
WillesdenBee

So with the Woking postponement, and the likely postponement of Eastleigh on Tuesday night (given their game is off tomorrow and Monday sees temperatures dip to -5 again), we will have 3 games to rearrange. At the moment, the only Tuesday's between now and April we have free are:

Jan 31st - Too short notice, don't think anything we be arranged for that date
No free Tuesday's in February
March 14th
March 21st
March 28th

So I would assume those three games would take place on the three free Tuesdays in March. However, looking at Halifax's postponement record this season, the game on Tuesday 7th February evening is probably at risk of falling to the weather as well. Then, you have to take into account the Torquay FA Trophy game, if we win that, the 11th March is the date for Quarter final so our home with Solihull will have to be moved. I know I am clutching at straws now but if we win that, our Semi final will be on April 1st meaning our game with York will have to be moved.

That would leave playing on every single Tuesday from February right until the end of season. That is quite insane. We have 22 league games left, plus potentially 4 Trophy games, plus any play off games. To win the Play offs, we will most likely require playing 29 games in the next 14 weeks. We are in for a ride lets put it that way!
jerroll

14 weeks left of regular season , playoffs and trophy final are all after 28th April.
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

Norfolkbee wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 15:54 I turned up to watch Barnet play Stafford Rangers at Wembley. Unfortunately, Barnet did not!
I was there too, and I saw us lose to Crook Town in the Amateur Cup final in 1959. Maybe third time lucky.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
markobee

eastbarnetsupporter wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 16:36
Was the majority of the crowd casual football fans or was there a sizable Barnet turnout?
My recollection is that we were heavily outnumbered by the Stafford Rangers' fans. They certainly made a lot of noise, as their goals went in.
A bit of Googling (just now) indicates that the total crowd was 24,000. I found a Rangers' website says they took 20,000 - and that fits with my memories of the day.
I don't know how many 'neutrals' there may have been. Not many, probably.
So I would think we took something like 3,000 to 4,000.
thebeekeeper

WillesdenBee wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 16:51 So with the Woking postponement, and the likely postponement of Eastleigh on Tuesday night (given their game is off tomorrow and Monday sees temperatures dip to -5 again), we will have 3 games to rearrange. At the moment, the only Tuesday's between now and April we have free are:

Jan 31st - Too short notice, don't think anything we be arranged for that date
No free Tuesday's in February
March 14th
March 21st
March 28th

So I would assume those three games would take place on the three free Tuesdays in March. However, looking at Halifax's postponement record this season, the game on Tuesday 7th February evening is probably at risk of falling to the weather as well. Then, you have to take into account the Torquay FA Trophy game, if we win that, the 11th March is the date for Quarter final so our home with Solihull will have to be moved. I know I am clutching at straws now but if we win that, our Semi final will be on April 1st meaning our game with York will have to be moved.

That would leave playing on every single Tuesday from February right until the end of season. That is quite insane. We have 22 league games left, plus potentially 4 Trophy games, plus any play off games. To win the Play offs, we will most likely require playing 29 games in the next 14 weeks. We are in for a ride lets put it that way!
Would it not be possible to use the January 31st date for the rearranged Woking match? There's no need for the club or supporters to pre-book travel for that one, and presumably there's also enough time to sell tickets if they announce the fixture early next week.
john dockers shorts

becbee wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 11:17 I appreciate the desire to see Barnet at Wembley. But the happy memories only come from winning at Wembley.

In 1998 I watched Southport play Cheltenham in the FAT Final at Wembley. I still have my foam hand from the match! But Southport were outplayed in a match of few opportunities and lost 1-0. The day was a complete anti-climax.

But I suppose the opposite viewpoint is that if you reach the final, you equally might win. And after all, those of us who went to Old Trafford in 2005 still remember the occasion even if hope diminished after 90 seconds.
Of course winning is the ideal. But happy memories of a big day out would still be there regardless.
pletch99

becbee wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 11:17 I appreciate the desire to see Barnet at Wembley. But the happy memories only come from winning at Wembley.

I don't agree that happy memories only come from winning. Some of my favourite memories involve ending in defeat.

To name a few:
* the 4-7 defeat to Crewe in our first ever football league game
* taking Chelsea to 2 games at Stamford bridge in the FA Cup in 94
* giving Brentford a real fight in the FA Cup replay
* scoring at Old Trafford

After watching for 40 seasons I've seen most things as a Bee, but being at Wembley to support MY team is a glaring gap in that experience. If you ask me what I really wanted at the start of the season - it is a trip to Wembley. Win the league - yes please, but done that (3 times). In those 40 years I've had to watch as all our rivals had their big day out - virtually everyone I know has had a taste of Wembley watching their club in those 40 years. In that whole time, we've only ever got one tie away from Wembley four times (3 league two playoffs and a Tin Pot Trophy semi final against Swindon.)

Sure we could go there as big favourites and lose 0-4 after playing complete pants and it would be a big let down, but bloody hell I don't want to give up my day out just because it might go pear shaped.

Ultimately I'm not getting too excited though because we'll probably mess it up before - 40 years of experience says so.