How do you start following Barnet?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

How do you start following Barnet?

Poll ended at 01 Feb 2023, 12:05

They were my local team (Original Barnet area - High Barnet, New Barnet, East Barnet)
31%
They were a nearby team
15%
They are now my local team (I'm from Harrow area)
3%
I got tickets from the school/local organisation as a kid.
6%
Parents took me to a game
24%
My kid got free tickets from school/local organisation. Went along and now I support them
1%
I heard about them and went to watch (e.g. Barry fry/stan flashman years)
8%
Because of a player I liked (e.g. Edgar Davids)
No votes
Through a friend who also supported Barnet
8%
Through the internet (e.g. Saw goal highlights on Youtube/Twitter)
No votes
Was groundhopping and stuck around
No votes
I liked the colours/badge/history
3%

Total votes: 71

DerekBFC

Re: How do you start following Barnet?

I started life as a Spurs fan as I was born close to their ground and was lucky to see them twice in their double season. By then my family had moved to Potters Bar and as my Dad worked on a Saturday it was too great a journey for me to travel on my own. So in 1962 when I saw Barnet v Sutton United in the Amateur Cup advertised in the Potters Bar Press I decided to go. I enjoyed the large crowd and the atmosphere and despite Barnet losing 2 v 1 I was hooked and have been going ever since.
amberforever

Agree on above. Born in Barnet and my Dad started taking me. Many managers ago.
I know it sounds daft but I was just fascinated as a kid by the sloping pitch. It was something we were famous for.
Last edited by amberforever on 25 Jan 2023, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
BRFBee

Pirated a copy of CM 00/01 in Wisconsin and the first team it set me up with Barnet. Started following online (where I could find any info) and became a big fan of Ben Strevens. Been following from a far since then.
ninestein

Couldn't get tickets for England vs Hungary just after Italia 90. My Dad took me to a Barnet reserve game vs Welling United instead on a Tuesday night in the Wendy Fair Capital League.
Picked me up from cub scouts and we made it about 15 mins into the match. Just walked through the door in Barnet Lane!
We won 3-2 under the lights courtesy of a 20 yard screamer from David Gipp.
The next match I saw was the 8-1 demolition of Fisher. Then the FA cup run which was ended by Pompey in R3. The rest is history. A proper footballing education!!
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
AidanGRH

Was supposed to be going to Tottenham v West Ham but found out at the turnstile that you couldn't pay on the day.

Went back to Palmers Green and went into a newsagent to see who was home out of Barnet and Enfield. Thankfully Barnet were against Altrincham so it was the 34 up to Underhill.

3-0 win and the drug was in the system.

Talk about a sliding door moment. Shudder at the thought it could have been Enfield. :sick:
I want to be good, is that not enough.
fordybarnet

Moved to Barnet Lane, almost next to Underhill entrance when i was 1 year old, back in 1947, seemed the natural thing to go with my Dad to watch and support the team at the bottom of my garden !
What a brilliant decision, great times mainly, over the years, just sad that Underhill didn't get developed in the way that the Hive has been, which could have been achieved.
Still a season ticket holder and it's great to still meet up with mates and familiar faces although now travelling from a lot further afield. COYB'S !
Patel89

Because of Barnet cricket club and my old man!
finchleyman

I supported Hendon in their heyday (late fiftes, early sixties) Played against Barnet a few times but getting to Claremont Road meant crossing the Hendon Way whch was a major road hazard. Just three lanes with overtaking only in the middle lane. Head-on smashes galore and many pedestrians were seriously injured tying to cross the road. Moved closer to Underhill so switched allegiance and have been going ever since (60 years). It's been a rollercoaster ride.
john dockers shorts

Mum and dad took me from a very young age. Mid 80s when we were rubbish. 1984 I was mascot v Runcorn so I have very clear memory of thar day still. Sitting on the side of the Westbank dangling my legs over by the tea hut waiting for my white plastic cup of coke and a Mars bar. Half time was always on my mind.

After the games kicking the white cups along the east terrace....waiting it seemed forever for Uncle Dave to climb up his ladder onto the Westcome drive turnstiles to hoist down the Aliance Premier league or Gola league flag.
letchbee94

Dad and uncle took me.
rudebwoyben

I used to go to the Easter soccer schools that Eddie Stein and some of the players used to hold back in the late 80s. We got to change in the away teams’ dressing room and enjoyed the massive bath at the end of each day. That, along with Barnet my local team and reading about Barry Fry and the team’s exploits in the Finchley Times tempted me to Underhill.
becbee

I supported Southport in my teens/ early 20s, that was due to my Dad watching them and taking me along. Then I moved to London with work, met my now husband who wasn't into football and so I went a few years watching nobody.
When our 9 year old daughter became interested in football through the boys in her class at school , I said I'd take her to watch our local club, which was Enfield. Her sister, not to be outdone, came along sometimes. That was fine until the Chairman sold the ground, gave Enfield a nomadic ground sharing experience ( Hendon, St Albans, Borehamwood). The fan base and results fell away and my interest waned.
For some reason we used to drive through Barnet to get to watch Enfield at Borehamwood. Coming home we'd see the fans streaming away from Underhill and it made me wonder why we were watching rubbish Isthmian League football when we could be watching L2 football closer to home.
My daughter initially didn't want to swap. However I persuaded her. Later, again her sister came along too.
So, all round, a convoluted way to start supporting a football club - but we're glad we did.
North Finchley Bee

London born, but grew up in Norwich, so a Canaries fan, and an Arsenal supporting father and in laws, having moved back to London for work etc 26 years ago, to, you guessed it, North Finchley. Occasionally went to Highbury and then Emirates, and go back to Carrow Road (but much less than I used to) and my interest in the Bees has increased over time. Proximity, good to support the local team, match reports in the Hendon and Finchley times, the highs and lows of lower and non league football :bash: (those at Barnet always seem higher and lower, but that's probably because I care for the club very much now (the FA cup game against Brentford was one of the most enjoyable games of football I've been to)