Shields off to Scunthorpe?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Beesting

Shields off to Scunthorpe?

Seen a tweet from the sports editor at radio humberside that Scunthorpe trying to sign Shields
HertsBee

Re: Shields off to Scunthorpe?

Scunthorpe are expecting to make up to 6 new signings today. Just in time for our game.
hoofer2

Who would have thought the way Shields started the season he wouldn't be making the matchday squad.

I'll be disappointed if he does leave as feel he would have provided the spark of creativity off the bench in some recent games - and is a tidy finisher. And for me would be more influential than Moyo.

I assume he and Brennan must have some "artistic differences" that are not going to be resolved.
Last edited by hoofer2 on 02 Feb 2023, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
thebeekeeper

I really liked the look of Shields in the early part of the season, but it seemed like Brennan wasn't too enamoured with his defensive work off the ball. Ultimately, we were conceding a lot of goals back then and we're not now, so perhaps DB had a point.

I wonder if this is a case of him being a good player, just not suited to our current system. If that's the case then a move elsewhere is probably best for all parties.
becbee

Based on what DB has said, he thinks Shields isn't prepared to defend enough. So for that, he has sidelined a creative, exciting attacking player. Although I suspect there's more to their differences than just that.

DB strikes me as being a "my way or the highway " manager so it would be best for Shields to move on, let someone else see the benefits of his abilities. I really don't fancy seeing him play against us though, he'd be far too keen to prove DB wrong.
WillesdenBee

Believe we are getting a fee for him. Good to get him off the wage bill and some money to add to the pot
11bee717

If you compare the impact of Kanu and how he’s fit into the system it did make sense to drop Shields, and there’s no doubt it’s been a factor behind our defensive resurgence. Best for both parties.
gowerfan

Makes good sense for all parties. Player gets a new lease of life and club can reinvest in a new player more suitable to the current system.
wearebees

They have announced two midfielders already today, including a winger. Five more signings to come!

It would be a shame if Shields leaves as he quickly became a fans favourite (even had his own song before anyone else). Was nice having a local lad playing for us, makes it easier to identify with players, especially with no academy anymore. He seemed happy to be closer to home again too, I really thought it was meant to be. Luckily for us, the whole squad is very likeable this season. It's pretty obvious Brennan doesn't see him as part of his plans, so sadly it's probably for the best.
amberforever

Can’t help thinking we’ve missed out on a real talent here. Shame.
djhdjh

I liked Shields too, he was an excellent crosser, but I find the handwringing over him a bit much. We're on a 3 month unbeaten run in the league that began when he got dropped from the team. We all knew the team had to tighten up defensively and this was part of the price for that.

He's not starting because he's not as good as Kanu and he's not on the bench because he's not as good as Hall. He lacks Kanu's pace, dribbling or defensive work rate and he lacks Hall's overall technical quality and ability to see a pass.

You can tell from his interviews that Brennan loves creative players, he loved Mason-Clarke, he loves Kanu. Even now we're a pretty attacking side where players are allowed to get forward and create chances. But there is a limit.

I'm sure he will do well for Scunthorpe where he will presumably get more leeway defensively to be the main creative outlet and hopefully we can reinvest his fee and wages.
antbfc

djhdjh wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 10:31 I liked Shields too, he was an excellent crosser, but I find the handwringing over him a bit much. We're on a 3 month unbeaten run in the league that began when he got dropped from the team. We all knew the team had to tighten up defensively and this was part of the price for that.

He's not starting because he's not as good as Kanu and he's not on the bench because he's not as good as Hall. He lacks Kanu's pace, dribbling or defensive work rate and he lacks Hall's overall technical quality and ability to see a pass.

You can tell from his interviews that Brennan loves creative players, he loved Mason-Clarke, he loves Kanu. Even now we're a pretty attacking side where players are allowed to get forward and create chances. But there is a limit.

I'm sure he will do well for Scunthorpe where he will presumably get more leeway defensively to be the main creative outlet and hopefully we can reinvest his fee and wages.
spot on!
antbfc

amberforever wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 10:04 Can’t help thinking we’ve missed out on a real talent here. Shame.
i like the guy but he is 31, so doubt he will improve over the next couple of seasons. Unlike Kanu...
adher36

It is a shame as he looked like he would be a major player for us. But full trust in our fantastic manager who knows exactly what he is doing. Fingers crossed the money gets diverted straight into Kabamba's bank account.
wearebees

Confirmed. Good luck Sean. Have seen mentioned that part of the deal is that he can't play tomorrow, anyone know if this is true?