Torquay (Plainmud) The Back to The Hoofture Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Bee_Forever

Torquay (Plainmud) The Back to The Hoofture Match Thread

So..... Saturday sees the bees hit the road to Torquay for the second time in a week as we travel down to play the struggling gulls, this time in a bananarama fixture.

After we beat them by a narrow margin in the Trophy we can be in no doubt about the struggle we will face there on Saturday especially with them haunted by the spectre of relegation in the same way that TK haunts the top of the east stand when Barnet are losing.

It's fair to say that the game on what could generously be described as a "pitch" was not one for the purists and after that game there will be a fair bit of ill temper going in to Saturday's fixtures. Torquay will be benefitting from a midweek rest while Barnet limp on with their tiny squad with no reinforcements in sight, further weakened by Tuesday's defeat at Notts County.

On our side we have a tactically astute manager, a united team and a fan base who don't through their toys out of the pram after one bad result (mostly) and I still very much fancy our chances on the "English Riviera". With many bees fans having planned trips down for this one months ahead (who knew that you could plan months ahead??) a decent away following is in prospect for this one and we will need all of the bees to be buzzing to drown out the Gulls squawks if last week is anything to go by. Who knows the burger van may even have entered the 21st century with a veggie option, although I am not holding my breath.....

I was quite unwell at Torquay (not alcohol related before you ask :geahh: ) so really did not enjoy my day out despite the result and I am looking forward to watching this one from afar as I continue to recover. I am not saying the Torquay pitch is mostly mud but Flanders and Swann were inspired to write their hit "Mud, Mud Glorious Mud" after visiting Plainmud, while rumour has it that the Missisipi Mud Pie actually orginates in Devon inspired by a punter getting mud in his pie from one of the scrotey challenges Torquay put in and that Harry Mudd the Star Trek villain was born on the doorstep of the stadium.

Despite it being a lovely day out I cannot hide my distaste for Torquay, firstly for the relegation when ST holders were turned away and secondly for the assault on Jon Nurse when he was having his best game in a Barnet shirt (not a high bar I grant you). A win away would therefore be most welcome. In terms of team lineup Flanagan is clearly not trusted to start so our only real starting options are Moyo, Armstrong, and Hall. I suppose you could get a combined 90 out of Hall and Flanagan but that hardly seems ideal. The problem mostly is that Thomas, Collinge, Wynter and Revan are out and we clearly would not have thought to buy a 5th back up right sided defender!

I hope Collinge does return Saturday, if not then we have to enter the loan market and sign a right wing/full back or right sided centre back and I am sure Brennan is working on this now. Using De Havilland as and auxilliary right back is not a long term option in my view.

I would go:-

----------------------------------Walker-------------------------------

----Pritchard------Diarra----------Okimo-----------Beard----------

---------------De Havilland--Gorman---Woods----------------------

--------Smith-----------------Kabamba--------------Kanu------------

Subs: Immune, Armstrong, Hall, Flanagan, Moyo

Good luck to those bees taking the long trip down to the south coast and especial respect to those doing the same trip as last week. They do not consider themselves martyrs or any other smug term like that but people like letchbee94 and Jerroll who follow Barnet all over the country are the lifeblood of this football club.

COYBs :y:
Beesting

Re: Torquay (Plainmud) The Back to The Hoofture Match Thread

Hopefully we make a signing at right back. With rumours at Southend that some players have triggered a 14 day notice to leave the club on a free if they aren't paid I can't help but think we should be trying for their right back Gus Scott-Morris had a great season after signing from Hemel and is a goal threat. Could he be got on the cheap?
11bee717

Beesting wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 20:16 Hopefully we make a signing at right back. With rumours at Southend that some players have triggered a 14 day notice to leave the club on a free if they aren't paid I can't help but think we should be trying for their right back Gus Scott-Morris had a great season after signing from Hemel and is a goal threat. Could he be got on the cheap?
Confirmed to not be the case.
jerroll

us signing Southend players who haven't been paid would be described as Karma after the events of the summer of 1993!
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

jerroll wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 22:26 us signing Southend players who haven't been paid would be described as Karma after the events of the summer of 1993!
The win at Southend in the league cup that season was one of the most satisfying victories of my 66 years of watching Barnet.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
Roy57

What we could do with having 15 day break before our next match like Scunthorpe, or even 10 days like Aldershot and Altricham. That would be time to get some players back and more importantly give players time to recharge there batterys, not sure what team Dean is looking at putting out, assume it will depend on how players are in training by thurs. But could be idea to test Harry Smith who has not played a lot of football before joining us and play Moyo, who is a little unfortunate not to have started after scoring his first goal, and has found himself down the pecking order after arrival of Smith,
jonbonbaby

Prichard at right back ? Are you mad
becbee

Roy57 wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 11:53 What we could do with having 15 day break before our next match like Scunthorpe, or even 10 days like Aldershot and Altricham. That would be time to get some players back and more importantly give players time to recharge there batterys, not sure what team Dean is looking at putting out, assume it will depend on how players are in training by thurs. But could be idea to test Harry Smith who has not played a lot of football before joining us and play Moyo, who is a little unfortunate not to have started after scoring his first goal, and has found himself down the pecking order after arrival of Smith,
The reason why Scunthorpe, Aldershot and Altrincham have these breaks is because they were all knocked out of the FA Cup at 4QR stage, also Scunthorpe were knocked out of FAT in 3rd round. We can't have cup success without fixture congestion.
Bee_Forever

jonbonbaby wrote:Prichard at right back ? Are you mad
He played at full back earlier in the season so no I am not mad. I just go to games so have an informed football opinion and don't have to resort to insults

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

BGr

Crucial game to win and get back on the wagon. If Notts was ever a “free hit” (I didn’t see it that way) then we have to prove the result was just that - a one off. With our well publicised fixture congestion, getting back in the habit is crucial. When you’re winning you want the games coming thick and fast - when you aren’t, you want more time on the training pitch to correct things.
jonbonbaby

:sos:
Bee_Forever wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 15:38
He played at full back earlier in the season so no I am not mad. I just go to games so have an informed football opinion and don't have to resort to insults

foxy

He played at full back earlier in the season so no I am not mad. *I just go to games* so have an informed football opinion and don't have to resort to insults

#debatable
Bee_Forever

foxy wrote:
He played at full back earlier in the season so no I am not mad. *I just go to games* so have an informed football opinion and don't have to resort to insults

#debatable
I can always count on your support foxy. Must have missed you at torquay...

alexbach

BBC radioDevon Spoke of return last week assuming they're not following Plymouth or Exeter

Sent from my 5033XR using Tapatalk