Torquay (Plainmud) The Back to The Hoofture Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
WhetstoneBee

Re: Torquay (Plainmud) The Back to The Hoofture Match Thread

JWTBee wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 17:53 Anyone like to give a review/rating on the 2 new guys - Potter & Senior - performances? Hopefully they were promising? I'm looking forward to seeing them on Tuesday night!
Thought both looked decent, especially given they can’t have had much time with the team (unless Major has been training with us). Difficult to say as the overall performance was poor, but they didn’t look any worse than anyone else (and better than some!).
alexbach

becbee wrote:
alexbach wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 16:11 Radio Devon are happy with the second

Sent from my 5033XR using Tapatalk
Home radio commentators pleased that their team are winning. What a huge surprise.
Shows that was the main commentary as opposed to Plymouth

alexbach

alexbach wrote:
becbee wrote:

Home radio commentators pleased that their team are winning. What a huge surprise.

Should people want to relive the commentary was just being helpful for decent fans..

alexbach

alexbach wrote:
alexbach wrote:
becbee wrote:

Should people want to relive the commentary was just being helpful for decent fans..

Didn't have to retune it just crossed straight to plain moon

BGr

BGr wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 17:12 Crucial game to win and get back on the wagon. If Notts was ever a “free hit” (I didn’t see it that way) then we have to prove the result was just that - a one off. With our well publicised fixture congestion, getting back in the habit is crucial. When you’re winning you want the games coming thick and fast - when you aren’t, you want more time on the training pitch to correct things.
Now I am a little worried. Losing is a habit much the same as winning and we need to break it asap with two games a week for the foreseeable
Ajtheone04

Losing to a team in a relegation fight when we're in the playoffs isn't ideal but when you put it in context we couldn't have asked for a loss in much better circumstances. Players would have been weary from all the travelling and 9 points from 5 away games + a cup win isn't too bad at all, especially as Chesterfield have been in bad form during that period and Woking dropped points today.
A couple of new faces through the door + returning to the Hive for the next 3 games should give us good reason to think we can stop this turning into a proper rot and push on.
We're spoilt for choice in attacking areas now with Kabamba, Smith, Moyo, Senior, Kanu, Hall and Powell and Loza when they're back and fully fit but i'm worried about the defence, it seems as if Diarra is no longer good enough to be starting regularly in the NL which is what he might have to do whilst Collinge and Revan are out.
beew

CrawleyBee wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 17:14
beew wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 17:13
Roy57 wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 16:53 Think they announced attendance as 2165, but would not put money on it.
Attendance:
From the BBC
Any figure for away?
Attendance: 2,135 (139 away)
From Torquay website
Roy57

Dean Brennan put Potter as man of the match, not sure what supporters who attended the game felt.
pletch99

On the new lads, I thought Potter did very well in the circumstances. He's good in the air and looked comfortable on the ball and produced some solid no nonsence defending. The only real concern is that he is another left footed central defender and the gap we need to fill is right centre half. We played with three centre halfs today with Okima on the right, Diarra in the middle and Potter on the left. Unsurprisingly there were times where players were a bit out of position and we were not as organised as of late, hardly a surprise with new players coming in and other players playing out of position.

Senior also did ok after coming on in the second half. He worked hard, tracked back, looked like he could get up and done the pitch and beat his full back on several occasions. The only downside was that his choice of cross left a lot to be desired.

The wind had a big impact on the game - we struggled really badly in the first half today and while we improved in the second half with the wind, a bad error from Pritchard let Torquay in to score immediately after half time.

Brennan says in his interview that he thought it was our worst performance of the season. I don't agree - we were poor at times, but even then we made several good chances and we didn't give up lots of chances to Torquay. They took their chances and we didn't. The midfield were all completely out of sorts particularly before half time and Kanu had his worst game in a Barnet shirt, although the Torquay players spend the afternoons pulling at his arms and mostly got away with it.

The biggest worry about this game is that Beard went off at half time with what looked like a thigh injury - given how he was limping down the steps of the stand at the end of the game suggest he might also be unavailable for at least a couple of games. (Given how often he was beaten by his winger on Tuesday night and this afternoon I wonder whether he has been carrying a knock.) To add to our woes Kanu was booked for what looked to me like a piece of acting by a Torquay player and I believe that means he will be suspended for the next two games.

Unless Collinge is fit for Tuesday night, it's difficult to see how we might line up defensively - I would imagine if he is available it is likely that we will have to play Collinge at RB and assuming I am right about Beard, Okimo will have to fill in at left back.
or I guess we could play three at the back and use Senior or DeHavilland as RWB and Pritchard as the LWB.

I should finish with postives:
* Senior and Potter both looked useful additions
* Smith and Kabamba still looked a real handful, even though neither played really well and Smith missed a great chance.
* Best free kick goal with have scored in ages - Luisma esque.
* We're right in the playoff hunt with 3 games at home
* Woking lost and Chesterfield only drew, so we only last a little ground.
* Of the chasing pack, only Southend have really gained much ground
PBBee

Torquay (Plainmud) The Back to The Hoofture Match Thread

Let’s move onto Tuesday - Woking lost & Chesterfield drew! We are right in the top 3 fight!
let_it_bee

Can’t believe DB thought it was a worse performance than York at home. That’s one that will live in my memory as a performance with no redeeming features whatsoever, which almost brought me to the brink of quitting.
becbee

let_it_bee wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 09:02 Can’t believe DB thought it was a worse performance than York at home. That’s one that will live in my memory as a performance with no redeeming features whatsoever, which almost brought me to the brink of quitting.
Suspect DB has long since put that match out of his mind!
Tuesds

Roy57 wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 15:23 That's been coming, went straight under Walkers body, can count his mistakes all season on one hand, but that was one to add.
That was not a goalkeeper error. The guy was 8 yards out and the ball was past Walker’s left hand (not under his body) before he could get down.
Roy57

As mentioned the main problem is two out of three of our midfield look shattered, Gorman and Pritchard, they both could do with a rest but if we are looking at maintaining our position in the play offs then don't see how we can rest both, chance DB may rest one of them and put him on the bench, interesting what others think the team we should put out tuesday, as in last two games after 60 mins Gorman and Pritchard have looked out on there feet. Agree with comments regarding Kabamba, don't think he looks the same player since Smith has been in the team. It was clear that at some point we would start picking up a few injuries, it's just a shame it's to players we don't have cover for. Dean has some thinking to do over selection, as if he selects Gorma and Pritchard again this is were injuries can occur when a player is playing when not fully fit.
letchbee94

Roy57 wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 21:30 Dean Brennan put Potter as man of the match, not sure what supporters who attended the game felt.
He looks promising.
Crossing could do with some work .