Retained

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Sam_BFC

Re: Retained

Dan Bradley
northantsbee

I don't think we had the chance to see the best of Loza, I can understand why we have released him but have a feeing he's going to be one of those players that we wished we had hung on to at some point in the future. As for the rest no real surprises
Going Indieground 7pm Tuesday, https://www.madwaspradio.com/
Norfolkbee

Sam_BFC wrote: 06 May 2023, 03:26Dan Bradley
Thanks, I couldn't recall the name. I remember MA was cockahoop to sign a really good player so early in the summer break. He probably got too carried away and forgot to ask a few really pertinent questions and things soon unravelled. At least Tarpey agreed to give full-time a go, but, through circumstances, it wasn't to work out.
ninestein

MA signed Bradley and Akinde from Alfreton before the end of May.
Shame Bradley never stayed with us and re-signed for Alfreton. He gave Jack Saville a torrid time in the game at the Hive.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Norfolkbee

ninestein wrote: 06 May 2023, 12:26 MA signed Bradley and Akinde from Alfreton before the end of May.
Shame Bradley never stayed with us and re-signed for Alfreton. He gave Jack Saville a torrid time in the game at the Hive.
I think we were all more excited that we'd signed Bradley than Akinde. All a bit of a rum do really but at least that season ended well.
DSM

Unsurprisingly Phillips has left. Well managed by the club to free up some salary and another reminder how our pre season sentiment on signings often doesn’t work out, this was one we were all positive about.
jerroll

DSM wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 13:26 Unsurprisingly Phillips has left. Well managed by the club to free up some salary and another reminder how our pre season sentiment on signings often doesn’t work out, this was one we were all positive about.
Best for all parties , sadly when you sign as many players as we did last summer not everyone works out. Wish him well for a better season next term.
Shmulib100

Good move. Will help to slim down the squad...
Jimbokav1971

DSM wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 13:26 Unsurprisingly Phillips has left. Well managed by the club to free up some salary and another reminder how our pre season sentiment on signings often doesn’t work out, this was one we were all positive about.
I think Phillips might just be a better player than we have seen last season.

He played a total of 15 mins in the opening 8 games of the season, and then when we threw him in he was asked to play in a number of different positions. (centre-mid and centre-half and I'm sure he even played right back at 1 point).

It should be pointed out that he didn't start the 0-5 debacle against York in that little period, (Smith did), so whatever the problem was, it wasn't him alone.

Beardy was out during this period, Okimo was playing at left back and Collinge partnered Diarra at centre-half, (until Collinge was shown a 2nd yellow at home to York), and Phillips then replaced Collinge for his suspension and Diarra after Collinge was back. It meant that a midfield that wasn't quite working was paired with a defence that was all over the place, (because Okimo was at left back rather than at centre-half), and I think it's far too easy to blame Phillips for this, (not that you personally are by the way).

He played for about half an hour against Maidstone on a yellow, (4-3) and then played against Wrexham for even longer on a yellow, when I actually thought he was the one really busting a gut despite the fact that they gave him a torrid time. He was at least trying to come and win the ball.

I personally think that whoever had to play with Diarra in a 4 was going to struggle & the solution wasn't found until Beardy returned & Okimo was able to revert to centre-half.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips go and have a really good season somewhere playing in front of a settled back 4.

Anyway, good luck to him. I like that he was prepared to go out on loan to play, (not once but twice), and would rather go and play somewhere now too.
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
Anthony

Jimbokav1971 wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 08:20
I think Phillips might just be a better player than we have seen last season.

He played a total of 15 mins in the opening 8 games of the season, and then when we threw him in he was asked to play in a number of different positions. (centre-mid and centre-half and I'm sure he even played right back at 1 point).

It should be pointed out that he didn't start the 0-5 debacle against York in that little period, (Smith did), so whatever the problem was, it wasn't him alone.

Beardy was out during this period, Okimo was playing at left back and Collinge partnered Diarra at centre-half, (until Collinge was shown a 2nd yellow at home to York), and Phillips then replaced Collinge for his suspension and Diarra after Collinge was back. It meant that a midfield that wasn't quite working was paired with a defence that was all over the place, (because Okimo was at left back rather than at centre-half), and I think it's far too easy to blame Phillips for this, (not that you personally are by the way).

He played for about half an hour against Maidstone on a yellow, (4-3) and then played against Wrexham for even longer on a yellow, when I actually thought he was the one really busting a gut despite the fact that they gave him a torrid time. He was at least trying to come and win the ball.

I personally think that whoever had to play with Diarra in a 4 was going to struggle & the solution wasn't found until Beardy returned & Okimo was able to revert to centre-half.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips go and have a really good season somewhere playing in front of a settled back 4.

Anyway, good luck to him. I like that he was prepared to go out on loan to play, (not once but twice), and would rather go and play somewhere now too.
I'm not sure this needs pointing out. I would imagine most of us think it's a good decision (for both parties) not because we think he is rubbish or to blame for poor results, but because he wasn't getting anywhere near our first XI last season. He really needs to move on and play football - he is 26 in September, no doubt he wants to play and we can't keep hold of him based on potential when he really should be in the prime of his career.
becbee

So he played 15 minutes of the first 8 matches then had a 5 match run of matches in defence which included the 4 where we conceded 20 goals. He was then dropped and (apart from second half at Torquay in FAT ) was never again in the match day squad. So whatever extent any of us think he was to blame in those 4 matches -and I think we'd agree that it wasn't entirely down to him - it is evident that DB lost all belief in him. No benefit to anybody in him hanging around at Barnet for another season just picking up his wages for doing nothing.
ninestein

Until the retained list was announced, I'd forgotten we even had him! He's not been anywhere near the bench, let alone the starting XI. Sensible move for both parties. We need wages available to fund players who will upgrade what we have on the pitch.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
WillesdenBee

Not good enough for us to push on really. Not the correct attitude for a pro footballer. Loads of off the field issues over recent years, never going to be a league player unless he sorts himself out. Has ability, just needs a home to find it. We're not that right now, we are club on the up, not a care home, can't carry passengers and that's what he was. Hopefully one or two more to see the same treatment before some 'proper' pros come through the door.
Beesting

Anyone have an idea of what's happening with Sam Woods? Offered a new deal but no news since, I'm guessing its on reduced terms.
Itsmeerc

Gone to Bromley!