Aldershot (Away) The Underhill! Underhill! Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
ETBee

Re: Aldershot (Away) The Underhill! Underhill! Match Thread

Not enough credit is being given to Aldershot. They played at pace, their passing was quick and accurate and they have a forward thinking and attacking frame of mind. They pressed us very well.

We are a very slow team in comparison and we have no effective outlet in attack. Our set pieces were appalling.

Perhaps DB's interview is preparing us for a drop from 3rd place and a struggle to stay in the playoff places...?
PBBee

As above we don’t look threatening from set pieces either anymore - made me think Maguire-Drew is another of the casualties too isn’t he.

The next was the opportunity to solidify our top 3 with 4 home games in the next 5 league games (would’ve been 5 in 6 if Bromley wasn’t rearranged) - but now feels like we’ll be trying to scrape results.
CrawleyBee

PBBee wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 06:53 As above we don’t look threatening from set pieces either anymore - made me think Maguire-Drew is another of the casualties too isn’t he.

The next was the opportunity to solidify our top 3 with 4 home games in the next 5 league games (would’ve been 5 in 6 if Bromley wasn’t rearranged) - but now feels like we’ll be trying to scrape results.
This it’s still very much in our hands, we need to believe and continue to back the lads. We’re still in a great position. 4 points from next 2 (obviously would love 6!) and things will look a lot rosier. Shame about the injury’s but we have a good squad with strength in depth.
Formerly Watfordbee
WillesdenBee

We were terrible. Our worst performance of the season. Have to give aldershot some credit though. Their fans were saying it’s their best performance of the season. Only Okimo and Keeley come out with any credit for us.

Football is a funny game though. Saturday we looked comfortable in 3rd, Tuesday (despite still looking comfortable in 3rd) we’re in a crisis again. Win Saturday and there’s a chance we go up to 2nd and then have a free hit on Tuesday. Injuries are our biggest issue now though.
erichitchmo

Our man made a late decision to hit the road to attend and really glad he did.
jerroll

Injuries
Collinge - certain starter
Kabamba - certain starter
Kanu- likely starter
Gorman -likely starter
Maguire-Drew - certain matchday 16
Oluwo - Certain starter
Hooper - Likely Sub

No wonder there is a drop off especially when you have a midtable budget
becbee

WillesdenBee wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 08:02 We were terrible. Our worst performance of the season. Have to give aldershot some credit though. Their fans were saying it’s their best performance of the season. Only Okimo and Keeley come out with any credit for us.

Football is a funny game though. Saturday we looked comfortable in 3rd, Tuesday (despite still looking comfortable in 3rd) we’re in a crisis again. Win Saturday and there’s a chance we go up to 2nd and then have a free hit on Tuesday. Injuries are our biggest issue now though.
If that was Aldershot's best performance of the season how on earth are they 5th in NL? They were better than us but that's not saying much. Even then we almost held out for the draw.

It strikes me that in any normal season we'd be lucky to be still in the P.O.s. Can only deduce that the rest of the pack are no better than us.
becbee

jerroll wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 09:09 Injuries
Kanu- likely starter
Gorman -likely starter
Oluwo - Certain starter
Hooper - Likely Sub

Hooper was always a hopeful gamble at best . DB is to blame for Kabamba. He's probably the only person who saw logic in giving him 30 minutes in an FAT match which was already won.
Ajtheone04

becbee wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 09:31
jerroll wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 09:09 Injuries
Kanu- likely starter
Gorman -likely starter
Oluwo - Certain starter
Hooper - Likely Sub

Hooper was always a hopeful gamble at best . DB is to blame for Kabamba. He's probably the only person who saw logic in giving him 30 minutes in an FAT match which was already won.
The Kabamba situation brings me back to comments I saw our former physio make earlier in the season - he said DB was known for overworking players (which was part of the reason why he likes to sign players who've played 40+ league games the season before). I think he also said something about DB ignoring his advice in marginal situations.

We've gone through just under a third of the league season picking up just 17 points, something has to change soon if we want to solidify p2/3.
Bee_Forever

BeesKnees99 wrote:
PBBee wrote:F**k me - just listened to Brennan’s interview. We are screwed.

Oluwu - out for the season.

All other injured players won’t be back until at least the 3rd-4th week of March!! Presumably that includes Kabamba - the utter brain dead decision bringing him on with a hamstring niggle at Welling.

I thought the others were expected back in the next week or so & now they’ll barely be match fit by the play offs.

Grim grim update.
Wow. That is utterly horrendous news, especially re Oluwo.

Bringing Nicke on at Welling has got to the be the single worst managerial decision DB has ever made.
I wondered what hyperbolic nonsense the negative brigade would bring but for my blood pressure I stayed off only Barnet last night. Thanks guys you did not disappoint.

We lost 1-0 to a team in the playoffs after a draining trip to fylde with a team racked with injuries.

The end of the world it is not.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Beeboardwarrior

Half the first team is missing, we have gone away to a top six team and lost to a massively deflected goal and people are losing their minds. Yes we have some tough games ahead and yes the injuries are hurting us, but the squad strength in depth is better than it has been for years. No one was bemoaning the loss of Kabamba when we were sticking four past Fylde. We were never going to finish ahead of Chesterfield, but there's plenty of football still to play and we are still well on track for the play-offs.
Bee_Forever

Re the kabamba situation I see the comments on this. I kind of see it the other way that Brennan would not have risked him for 30 minutes in the trophy unless he was sure he was fit to play so the injury is more bad luck than judgement.

I am sure the NB will be revelling in what they consider the worstest decision in the history of decisions in the world ever and if I want to cry I will cry and cry until I'm sick but in reality it was a calculated risk which did not pay off not the end of days.

We could have had Haaland up front and we wouldn't have scored last night. The problem was abysmal supply and a midfield which was overrun. We missed Gorman and Maguire Drew just as much if not more than Nicke last night.

becbee

Bee-Forever - It's fair comment to say that hyperbole gets posted on here at times, it does on all message boards. However what word would you use to describe our injury situation? So disagree with other fans but surely we can all agree that the current injury situation is horrendous and that's the posts you've chosen to refer to.

You were at Aldershot, did you rate our opponents? Were they actually better than Fylde ( I wasn't at Fylde so it's a genuine question).

And yes, it was a long way to Fylde. A trip we make once a season. How do you imagine Fylde cope with having so many trips down south, to us and further? Likewise Gateshead, Hartlepool and other geographically distant clubs in other leagues.

And no, a 1-0 away defeat isn't the end of the world. But in the grand scheme of things, you could say neither would be missing out on promotion via P.O.s, which is looking increasingly less likely.
jerroll

becbee wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 10:14 Bee-Forever - It's fair comment to say that hyperbole gets posted on here at times, it does on all message boards. However what word would you use to describe our injury situation? So disagree with other fans but surely we can all agree that the current injury situation is horrendous and that's the posts you've chosen to refer to.

You were at Aldershot, did you rate our opponents? Were they actually better than Fylde ( I wasn't at Fylde so it's a genuine question).

And yes, it was a long way to Fylde. A trip we make once a season. How do you imagine Fylde cope with having so many trips down south, to us and further? Likewise Gateshead, Hartlepool and other geographically distant clubs in other leagues.

And no, a 1-0 away defeat isn't the end of the world. But in the grand scheme of things, you could say neither would be missing out on promotion via P.O.s, which is looking increasingly less likely.
The problem isn't the journey its the lack of recovery time between games. Whoever came up with the decision to extend the Conference to 24 teams is to blame without extending the regular season at all sticking to the maximum 39 weeks from start to playoff final to suit the part time clubs! by doing this they are scheduling Midweek fixtures in February & March when clubs already have games to rearrange due to the FA trophy. We have had 1 weather postponement all season yet have only 3 free midweeks left - 1 due a to stupidly scheduled England C game & 1 prior to easter week. Go back to 22 teams and you reduce fatigue.
Bee_Forever

becbee wrote:Bee-Forever - It's fair comment to say that hyperbole gets posted on here at times, it does on all message boards. However what word would you use to describe our injury situation? So disagree with other fans but surely we can all agree that the current injury situation is horrendous and that's the posts you've chosen to refer to.

Becbee if you read my post I said we were racked with injuries. That's how I would/did describe it.

In terms of how other teams cope with long distances. They rotate out tired players. We can't do that as we are racked with injuries.

For example I would expect Kanu for Coker, Gorman for Brunt and Thompson rotating with Okimo rather than relying on Stevens if Collinge is fit. Also Kabamba and O'Donkor sharing minutes or going up top together.

Can't do any of that. So this is how racked with injuries looks....

And my comment around losing not being the end of the world was in the context of our playoff hopes not the kind of weak kneed "puts everything in to perspective" comment we get when there is a tragedy and people use it to try and say football is not important. I would hope you know me better than that. We are 5 points clear in 3rd.

Last edited by Bee_Forever on 21 Feb 2024, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.