Oxford City (THTS) The Match Thread Trolling Away The Stones

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
letchbee94

Re: Oxford City (THTS) The Match Thread Trolling Away The Stones

adher36 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 21:43 The most disappointing thing about the day was Stead winning most improved player award.

You cannot win the most improved player award if it is your first season at the club!!!!
I voted for him as I thought he has improved as season gone on.
I cannot remember who it was but I'm sure he is not the first player for us to win this award in his first season at the club.
Am sure it was in the late 90s?
letchbee94

Good to get the win and for us now to be confirmed a place in the play offs, now to confirm top 3.

Good to win and see others around us drop points (Bromley and Aldershot)
jamiefrbees

Don't for the life of me understand how anyone thinks that was a penalty. Our forward passed the ball on and then collided with their defender. It was totally inconsequential to the path of the ball or our attack on the goal. The more I watch the highlights the more i think it was an excellent and brave decision not to give it.
finchleyman

Oxford were a poor side and it is right that we won. The problem is that we did not win convincingly. Our first goal should not have been allowed and VAR would have confirmed that. As for the goal we gave away I am unsure who it was who diddled around on the ball but DB should be giving him a bollocking. Freeman was slow and poor, Coker tended to pass back to Keeley. We were slow and laborious in mid-field and it was only when Brunt came on that we looked better. Oxford had big defenders and yet we chose to go down the wings and cross the ball when the direct approach would have been the best (and in the end proved to be so). Another three points but we will need to up our game. Thought the ref was OK. She didn't take any nonsense.
CrawleyBee

Luckily no VAR then. If there was we would have had a stonewall penalty given too.

A good win I thought, never easy playing against an already relegated team with players potentially playing for contracts etc.
Formerly Watfordbee
simmosenior

jamiefrbees wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 08:02 Don't for the life of me understand how anyone thinks that was a penalty. Our forward passed the ball on and then collided with their defender. It was totally inconsequential to the path of the ball or our attack on the goal. The more I watch the highlights the more i think it was an excellent and brave decision not to give it.
That was my view live.
becbee

At the time I thought it was a stonewall penalty. Now I see Collinge ran into a static defender.
jerroll

Terry Heilbron would have awarded a indirect freekick!
hoofer2

becbee wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 09:25 At the time I thought it was a stonewall penalty. Now I see Collinge ran into a static defender.
I was unsure at the time - could have been given either way. I thought the referee was one of the better ones this season - clamped down on dissent much to the chagrin of those who received a card because of it.

The lineo missed too many incidents literally 5 metres in front of him!
beew

PBBee wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 20:33
rudebwoyben wrote:
PBBee wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 20:23
jerroll wrote:
pokal02 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 18:13 My maths says we still need 6 points if Gateshead win all their games & Bromley all except Gateshead.

Presumably Fylde v Gateshead will have to be played tomorrow or Wed to avoid Gateshead playing 3 times in the final week?
Gateshead max points 84 so we need 7 more as their gd will likely be better than ours with 5 wins. Bromley max points 86.
Final game of the season is Gateshead v Bromley so they cannot both achieve those maximum points - so 84 points would guarantee top 3 I think?
And of course, if we beat or even draw with Bromley, then that reduces their maximum possible points still further.
You’d hope it would be all but done if we did beat them…..just a shame we don’t beat teams in the top 7 very often! I really would love to see us beat them & put a message out to the play-off teams (just like beating Solihull would’ve been nice).

We also play this Saturday whereas both of them are in the trophy - shame Maidenhead doing their usual end of season fight but a good opportunity to extend the gap.
With regards to us not beating teams in the top 7, we have beaten Southend home and away. Without their 10 point deduction they would be level on points with Gateshead in 7th.
Itsmeerc

becbee wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 09:25 At the time I thought it was a stonewall penalty. Now I see Collinge ran into a static defender.
Got to disagree with this / other comments saying it wasn't a penalty. Defender steps in to make the challenge (i.e. not static - an active attempt to make a tackle). Danny nicks it past him and then is wiped out, preventing him from continuing his run. Makes no difference that the ball is gone, the defender has mistimed the challenge and taken him out! Anywhere else on the pitch that's a foul and it's no different from those where the attacker nicks it beyond a goalkeeper who then takes them out, which is given as a penalty every single time, even if the attacker was never getting to the ball. It's stonewall for me.
wearebees

Must admit, I never know if most improved means from the year before, or throughout the season, so I just pick whoever I feel meets one of those most. Don't see the problem with that? Forgot to vote this season though, so adher can't blame me!

Just to say thank you and well done to the BFCSA for the excellent awards. Really enjoyed the event. We are lucky to have a top group of players and coaching staff.

There were loads of candidates for all the awards, so it shows what a great bunch of footballers we have too!
rudebwoyben

Itsmeerc wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 10:45
Got to disagree with this / other comments saying it wasn't a penalty. Defender steps in to make the challenge (i.e. not static - an active attempt to make a tackle). Danny nicks it past him and then is wiped out, preventing him from continuing his run. Makes no difference that the ball is gone, the defender has mistimed the challenge and taken him out! Anywhere else on the pitch that's a foul and it's no different from those where the attacker nicks it beyond a goalkeeper who then takes them out, which is given as a penalty every single time, even if the attacker was never getting to the ball. It's stonewall for me.
Having seen it a couple of times now, I think it’s a penalty. The defender doesn’t stay still, he clearly turns his body into Danny to prevent him from continuing his run. For me, a clear penalty.
Last edited by rudebwoyben on 02 Apr 2024, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
BeesKnees99

Still can’t believe people are saying it’s not a penalty. I feel like I’m being gaslit.

Fig. 1 - Defender sticks a leg out but Danny gets there first, poking the ball out wide to Brunt

Fig. 2 - Defender impedes & trips Danny and arches his backside to stop him progressing into the box

It’s a clear foul anywhere else on the pitch, defender blatantly obstructs & upends Danny, stonewall penalty.
MCB

I'm with Becbee. The defender had no where to go and Collinge ran into him. Apologies if you don't agree.