Blunt about Brunt

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
dawat

Blunt about Brunt

To start with let me say that Brunt is a technically gifted player and seems like a nice guy. More than once it has been commented on that tackling and defending generally are not his strong points but on his day he makes up for it with sublime passes and attacking intent.
The problem is IMO that he doesn't have enough "on his days". Too often he goes missing, looks lethargic or even uninterested. Is it that he shines in soft games but vanishes in tough ones? Having in the past been involved in Sunday League football for many years, it seemed to be full of Brunt type players who appeared to be playing way below the level they should be, but if their team was promoted or they changed to clubs at a higher level, not only did they fail to shine but actually looked poor players!
So is Brunt one of these players who flatters to deceive? Is he just a luxury player useful to give someone else a rest in an easy game? Is he carrying an injury? Is he not a happy player at Barnet? Or am I being unfair on the lad? Hopefully I am totally wrong, but I would not feel confident playing Brunt in a tough play-off game against any team giving it their all to get promoted.
Jdk103

Re: Blunt about Brunt

We’re 2nd in the league and he’s our most creative player. This is reactionary and feels unjustified
dawat

Jdk103 wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 17:13 We’re 2nd in the league and he’s our most creative player. This is reactionary and feels unjustified
I do not doubt his creative ability, in fact I have praised his technical ability, but if only he displayed it more consistency. On some days he could be replaced by one of the youth team without negatively impacting on the team performance, which is frankly ridiculous.
ETBee

dawat wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 16:28 To start with let me say that Brunt is a technically gifted player and seems like a nice guy. More than once it has been commented on that tackling and defending generally are not his strong points but on his day he makes up for it with sublime passes and attacking intent.
The problem is IMO that he doesn't have enough "on his days". Too often he goes missing, looks lethargic or even uninterested. Is it that he shines in soft games but vanishes in tough ones? Having in the past been involved in Sunday League football for many years, it seemed to be full of Brunt type players who appeared to be playing way below the level they should be, but if their team was promoted or they changed to clubs at a higher level, not only did they fail to shine but actually looked poor players!
So is Brunt one of these players who flatters to deceive? Is he just a luxury player useful to give someone else a rest in an easy game? Is he carrying an injury? Is he not a happy player at Barnet? Or am I being unfair on the lad? Hopefully I am totally wrong, but I would not feel confident playing Brunt in a tough play-off game against any team giving it their all to get promoted.
Agree entirely. His best performance was last week when he came on for 15 minutes. He may be gifted but he only shows those gifts once every 3 or 4 games. He was appalling today. I watched him particularly and he did nothing.
pletch99

For me the key to getting the most out of Brunt is to play him where he can be effective which is as an attacking midfielder. He tends to struggle when he is played in a deeper position, which has been where he has been played in recent games (due to injuries in the main.)

When playing just behind a striker around the edge of the box he is a very dangerous player because he as the vision and technique to create chances even when there isn't much space. When he's deeper he struggles with the physical side of the game and doesn't have the pace to burst into attacking positions. On the ball he's generally quite tidy with his passing, but it's not as effective as when he's further forward.

Deano has a problem selection wise - seems to want to play Brunt, but also seems to be welded to 3-5-1-1 and Stead is playing behind Kabamba which leaves Brunt in a position which doesn't suit him.
WillesdenBee

23 goals/assists.
Beesting

He plays well when we play well, he doesn't ever pull us of the proverbial muck like top players do.
Jdk103

WillesdenBee wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 21:08 23 goals/assists.
Can’t argue with that
Anthony

Where do you find assist statistics? Or have you counted them yourself?
WillesdenBee

Anthony wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 04:43
Where do you find assist statistics? Or have you counted them yourself?
DB keeps track. Always mentions it in his interviews.
Patel89

dawat wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 16:28 To start with let me say that Brunt is a technically gifted player and seems like a nice guy. More than once it has been commented on that tackling and defending generally are not his strong points but on his day he makes up for it with sublime passes and attacking intent.
I'm sorry but I feel this is slightly harsh Zak Brunt is I agree probably a luxury player in a sense however the most important thing to remember is look what he has brought to this squad his numbers speak for themselves pure and simple

A incredible talent IMO and we are so fortunate to have him he will go on to have a long and successful EFL career I'm certain of it. Him, Hartigan and Collinge walk into any national league side without a doubt

We get the best out of brunt when Hartigan and Pritchard are both fit and available
Patel89

pletch99 wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 17:41 For me the key to getting the most out of Brunt is to play him where he can be effective which is as an attacking midfielder. He tends to struggle when he is played in a deeper position, which has been where he has been played in recent games (due to injuries in the main.)

When playing just behind a striker around the edge of the box he is a very dangerous player because he as the vision and technique to create chances even when there isn't much space. When he's deeper he struggles with the physical side of the game and doesn't have the pace to burst into attacking positions. On the ball he's generally quite tidy with his passing, but it's not as effective as when he's further forward.

Deano has a problem selection wise - seems to want to play Brunt, but also seems to be welded to 3-5-1-1 and Stead is playing behind Kabamba which leaves Brunt in a position which doesn't suit him.
Sorry missed this comment before I posted but spot on and accurate!
b4life

He's a very useful player to have, offers something different to the other players. Some matches/opposition seem to suit him, others not so much. He needs to learn to be more consistent in his performances. He's still got time to learn and I'd rather have him in the squad than not. Dean probably should have subbed him earlier yesterday though. In our next match, he'll probably score or set up the winner!
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
John Hunt

I like Brunt and prefer it when he is in the side.

He is capable of the sublime passes needed to create chances in a stalemate.

There should be room for players of his ilk in a balanced team with the right players around him.

I like Hall Johnson too but he seemed very tentative yesterday.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
John Hunt

I like Brunt and prefer it when he is in the side.

He is capable of the sublime passes needed to create chances in a stalemate.

There should be room for players of his ilk in a balanced team with the right players around him.

I like Hall Johnson too but he seemed very tentative yesterday.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926