Bromley (THTS) The Thin Lilywhite Duke Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BeesKnees99

Re: Bromley (THTS) The Thin Lilywhite Duke Match Thread

ETBee wrote:Last night Bromley showed what a good team they are. Physically strong, very well organised, excellent passers, well drilled routines and quick attackers. They also played without Olomola who is a real handful. They started with long balls to their front line but were able to adapt in the second half to a full team pressing style which inevitably led to their goal. It was our hard work and determination kept them down to one goal.

Our approach is to put together lots of passes which looks good but often makes us look slow and indecisive. And why do we take so long to cross the ball? There were many occasions when we kept passing within the corner area rather than getting an early cross when our attack have forward momentum and their defence is not yet organised. Quick crosses are more likely to end up with goals.

I sometimes think that we pass the ball around and run about a lot vaguely in the direction of the opposition's goal in the hope that an opportunity will occur to get the ball in the net. We play in a very inefficient way which allows the opposition to get and stay organised. The best teams appear to have planned and practised strategies which are focused on scoring. Difficult to explain what I mean but if I watch a game as shapes or patterns rather than individuals it seems this way. Sorry to sound pretentious but.....
I was thinking this yesterday. Our attacks seem to be quite random, more improvised than rehearsed. I don’t really see an identity to our play, other than possession for possession’s sake. Andy Woodman even criticised us about this in his post-match interview.

Our inability to carve open Top 7 sides may well stem from poor coaching.

And yes the crossing, or lack thereof, was incredibly frustrating. Overplayed it in the corner every single time and invariably lost the ball.
john dockers shorts

ETBee wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 09:51 Last night Bromley showed what a good team they are. Physically strong, very well organised, excellent passers, well drilled routines and quick attackers. They also played without Olomola who is a real handful. They started with long balls to their front line but were able to adapt in the second half to a full team pressing style which inevitably led to their goal. It was our hard work and determination kept them down to one goal.

Our approach is to put together lots of passes which looks good but often makes us look slow and indecisive. And why do we take so long to cross the ball? There were many occasions when we kept passing within the corner area rather than getting an early cross when our attack have forward momentum and their defence is not yet organised. Quick crosses are more likely to end up with goals.

I sometimes think that we pass the ball around and run about a lot vaguely in the direction of the opposition's goal in the hope that an opportunity will occur to get the ball in the net. We play in a very inefficient way which allows the opposition to get and stay organised. The best teams appear to have planned and practised strategies which are focused on scoring. Difficult to explain what I mean but if I watch a game as shapes or patterns rather than individuals it seems this way. Sorry to sound pretentious but.....

80 points not bad for an inefficient, slow indecisive team....

Reading comments, some are making out we played Barcelona lastnight.

I must of been at a different game
Last edited by john dockers shorts on 10 Apr 2024, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
beew

JWTBee wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 10:23 I think that last night Keeley has finally put the goalkeeper position debate to bed! His shot stopping was brilliant,coming for crosses excellent,distribution good & footwork,given some of the very dodgy back passes that he had to deal with,superb!

Hopefully some of our fan base will finally get behind him & give him the credit he deserves! But I doubt it!

He was definitely MOTM!
After the shocking errors made by Walker before Xmas, there needed to be a change (Brennan should be applauded) Keeley has come in and performed admirably for us, and it can't of been easy for the lad, knowing how much Laurie is liked. Keeley has a promising career ahead of him, and I'd love to see him with us next year in the EFL.
beew

The Kanu penalty decision. Looks a clear penalty to me.

https://x.com/tomhwilliams23/status/1777824457513402451
rudebwoyben

john dockers shorts wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 10:40
ETBee wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 09:51 Last night Bromley showed what a good team they are. Physically strong, very well organised, excellent passers, well drilled routines and quick attackers. They also played without Olomola who is a real handful. They started with long balls to their front line but were able to adapt in the second half to a full team pressing style which inevitably led to their goal. It was our hard work and determination kept them down to one goal.

80 points not bad for an inefficient, slow indecisive team....

Reading comments, some are making out we played Barcelona lastnight.

I must of been at a different game
Again, I think that impressions of the match afterwards are dictated a lot by how the second half went. We controlled most of the first half and created a lot of good situations.
Looking at the Bromley forum, their reactions to performances in other matches mirror what we’ve often said about us (too slow, too predictable, we’ve been found out etc).
b4life

beew wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:03 The Kanu penalty decision. Looks a clear penalty to me.

The ref missed several seemingly obvious fouls against us, including this one. A very poor display. Top 3 finish still totally in our hands. Every other club would wish to be in our place. There is no doubt that whenever 2 of the 3 of Oluwo, Collinge and Thompson play, we look much more solid at the back. We looked a bit leaky last night.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
beew

b4life wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:30
beew wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:03 The Kanu penalty decision. Looks a clear penalty to me.

The ref missed several seemingly obvious fouls against us, including this one. A very poor display.
Hey Mark, you were on Talksport at 2.45am this morning. Great interview with Paul Ross, although I suspect the interview was recorded. What time did you actually speak to him. Amazing to hear the BBB campaign on national radio.
PBBee

I think some of the negative comments come from the fact we all know the potential this team has, as we have seen flurries of it over the season.

I also feel we are lethargic in our play at times (not so much yesterday) & we have the players that can punish teams so why not attack with more intent, we are scared to lose the ball but then quite regular do exactly that in our own 1/3 & have to rely on a last ditch tackle or great save to save the blushes.

I hope we are proven wrong but it feels the majority of the fan base fear the worst in the play-offs.
LeftSideRun

Cropper, in previous games, had looked to get the ball in early (maybe without much accuracy) but it looked last night in the first half that that had been coached out of him. Numerous near static triangles with him, Freeman, Gorman and sometimes Hartigan before someone eventually hit a poor cross to them or we lost the ball. Disappointing that Brennan doesn't get them to play first time crosses.

I'm sure if you asked the opposition players and managers, they'd recognise Kanu as the danger man for Barnet. Annoys me that many Barnet fans don't seem to.
b4life

beew wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:41

The ref missed several seemingly obvious fouls against us, including this one. A very poor display.
Hey Mark, you were on Talksport at 2.45am this morning. Great interview with Paul Ross, although I suspect the interview was recorded. What time did you actually speak to him. Amazing to hear the BBB campaign on national radio.
Hi Beew, thanks, it was recorded at 2320 last night.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
LeftSideRun

Watching their goal again, it's Hartigan who switches off and loses his man, although RHJ was also ball watching.
WhetstoneBee

LeftSideRun wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 12:15 Watching their goal again, it's Hartigan who switches off and loses his man, although RHJ was also ball watching.
That’s RHJ’s man - he just watches him run and doesn’t bother to track him until it’s too late. Only on the pitch a few minutes and has to cost us a point. His recent performances have been shocking.
let_it_bee

The penalty claim looks even more clearcut on replay (must confess I wasn't 100% sure at the time) - Kanu's clearly got past the defender, who gets none of the ball.
thebeekeeper

b4life wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 12:13
beew wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:41

Hi Beew, thanks, it was recorded at 2320 last night.
You can listen here: https://talksport.com/radio/listen-agai ... 712712600/

Select 02:30-03:00 from the dropdown, and the interview starts around 4mins 45secs.
let_it_bee

My overall impression from last night was, for the most part, we were too slow and cautious in moving the ball. As has been mentioned above, numerous opportunities to cross the ball were spurned in favour of a cautious sideways or backward pass. Of course in crossing the ball you risk surrendering possession but it's a percentage game to a large extent. Overall Bromley were good value for their point and missed what looked like a tap in near the end when the ball came back off the post.