No cup replays

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
MCB

Re: No cup replays

Although I was young, the FA Cup game at Stamford Bridge - AND the replay at Stamford Bridge came at a time when we almost went bust. It allowed us to clear a lot of the financial mess that existed on the back of Stan, and brought in new owners and stability that has continued to this day

I'm not sure that would be the case without that money.

Happy to be Jerrolled on the details, but I have always seen the replay as having helped saved the club. In many ways Kelly Haag's miss to maintain 0-0 could have been of benefit to us :laugh:
jerroll

MCB wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 07:18 Although I was young, the FA Cup game at Stamford Bridge - AND the replay at Stamford Bridge came at a time when we almost went bust. It allowed us to clear a lot of the financial mess that existed on the back of Stan, and brought in new owners and stability that has continued to this day

Happy to be Jerrolled on the details, but I have always seen the replay as having helped saved the club. In many ways Kelly Haag's miss to maintain 0-0 could have been of benefit to us :laugh:
Spot on Sam. I am convinced Chelsea were happy to help by playing out a draw especially with the Hoddle factor! Less generous in the replay but that's life! Ray Clemence came in after the game which was harsh on Sumo and David Buchler's takeover was completed giving us 14 months of stability until that young mobile phone millionaire sailed into the club - wonder whatever happened to him!!
Beeboardwarrior

It’s a disgraceful decision, penalising those at the base of the pyramid to benefit a handful of clubs at the top. I’m surprised that the club have not made a statement about it yet.
amberforever

MCB wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 07:18 Although I was young, the FA Cup game at Stamford Bridge - AND the replay at Stamford Bridge came at a time when we almost went bust. It allowed us to clear a lot of the financial mess that existed on the back of Stan, and brought in new owners and stability that has continued to this day

Good way of seeing that draw actually. At the time I was gutted Kelly missed but hey!
Nudger70

On the other side of the coin that horrors unleashed by Stevenages replay with Newcastle might have been avoided.
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

I think that this was the last FA Cup tie where the home club was able to switch the match to their opponents ground. I was lucky enough to be invited to watch the match from the Director's box for the first match. I was sitting behind Chelsea chairman Ken Bates. He was very good to Barnet, he allowed us to produce and sell our own programmes and also let us share the proceeds from the match day catering. At the end of the game he turned round to us and said that he was relieved that the match was a draw because "we" needed the extra revenue. He said "we" as if it was for Chelsea but he made it pretty obvious that he was referring to us.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
PBBee

Devils advocate here but is there not more chance of an upset with no replays?
meden_820

Not really because of extra time and pens. The longer the game goes on, the lower ranked team will inevitably tire and the extra quality of the higher ranked team will usually show through.
Say you're Marine a couple of years ago hosting Spurs and you're drawing at the end of normal time and instead of a dream replay at White Hart Lane where you're never likely to get to play again you end up conceding three in extra time and going out?
Not withstanding the financial boost of playing in front of 50 to 60 thousand would have on a tiny football club (obviously I know it was during COVID so no crowds but just using it as an example)
PBBee

meden_820 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 15:59 Not really because of extra time and pens. The longer the game goes on, the lower ranked team will inevitably tire and the extra quality of the higher ranked team will usually show through.
Say you're Marine a couple of years ago hosting Spurs and you're drawing at the end of normal time and instead of a dream replay at White Hart Lane where you're never likely to get to play again you end up conceding three in extra time and going out?
Not withstanding the financial boost of playing in front of 50 to 60 thousand would have on a tiny football club (obviously I know it was during COVID so no crowds but just using it as an example)
I would counter that with our game vs Brentford - we may have won after the 90mins but were much less likely to win the replay. Part time fans in larger weekend crowds would also see more drama in extra time & penalties compared to the low midweek replay crowds.

Again I am playing devils advocate here.
meden_820

And if that was the reasoning behind it I could (sort of) understand. But the reason is to decrease the amount of games that the Premier League teams play. There are already no replays from the fifth round onwards so at the absolute maximum it's two more games mostly populated with squad players anyway so it makes zero sense, all while cutting off another avenue for small clubs to make some much needed money from the competition.
DerekRocholl

The majority of replays teams who enter the FA Cup at or before round 1 play are against teams that don’t attract large attendances to a mid-week evening game.

I’m not that bothered about not having to fork out for more replay games against the likes of Newport, Burton and Swindon.

The idea of getting the tie over on one Saturday to either have the chance of progressing to a game against more attractive opposition, or getting back to focusing on the league has considerable appeal.

If the FA make sure that all clubs in the lower leagues get a better financial deal as a result of this change it will be a positive development on balance IMO.
letchbee94

OB1 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 14:36 I think that this was the last FA Cup tie where the home club was able to switch the match to their opponents ground. I was lucky enough to be invited to watch the match from the Director's box for the first match. I was sitting behind Chelsea chairman Ken Bates. He was very good to Barnet, he allowed us to produce and sell our own programmes and also let us share the proceeds from the match day catering. At the end of the game he turned round to us and said that he was relieved that the match was a draw because "we" needed the extra revenue. He said "we" as if it was for Chelsea but he made it pretty obvious that he was referring to us.
I might be wrong but didn't Farnborough play Arsenal and they switched their home game to Highbury?
timbee

I think this is a dreadful decision - and perhaps the Accrington chairman is right about a boycott.

I bet the teams complaining about too many games still go off on their pre-season overseas tours!

And on a sort of related matter - I would remove VAR from use for Cup games played at Premiership grounds. The same conditions should apply across all fixtures.
Look up, look up, look up now,
It's a long way down
2002-3 Prediction League Champion
becbee

PBBee wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 16:23
meden_820 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 15:59 Not really because of extra time and pens. The longer the game goes on, the lower ranked team will inevitably tire and the extra quality of the higher ranked team will usually show through.
I would counter that with our game vs Brentford - we may have won after the 90mins but were much less likely to win the replay. Part time fans in larger weekend crowds would also see more drama in extra time & penalties compared to the low midweek replay crowds.

Again I am playing devils advocate here.
On that evening we felt we'd got a great draw and that we deserved a replay. We didn't need to look beyond that at that moment. Penalties would have meant a 50% chance of just going home feeling deflated that we'd played well but had ultimately just lost on penalties. And seen the opposition fans celebrating their win.
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

letchbee94 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 18:55
OB1 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 14:36 I think that this was the last FA Cup tie where the home club was able to switch the match to their opponents ground. I was lucky enough to be invited to watch the match from the Director's box for the first match. I was sitting behind Chelsea chairman Ken Bates. He was very good to Barnet, he allowed us to produce and sell our own programmes and also let us share the proceeds from the match day catering. At the end of the game he turned round to us and said that he was relieved that the match was a draw because "we" needed the extra revenue. He said "we" as if it was for Chelsea but he made it pretty obvious that he was referring to us.
I might be wrong but didn't Farnborough play Arsenal and they switched their home game to Highbury?
Yes Letchbee you are correct.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020