Penned a new piece

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
tonbridgebee

Penned a new piece

I've a new article out today on the Bees, the progress of the last two years in a nutshell, no paywall on this one so please go and have a read:

https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/04/16/how ... s-opinion/
Doyley

Re: Penned a new piece

Good reminder of how far we’ve come Trev!
tonbridgebee

Doyley wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 15:52 Good reminder of how far we’ve come Trev!
Yes it is, also shows that if you back a manager, give him time to recruit well, it's possible to turn things around. In all honesty it's a little mental to think where we were two years about to host Bromley on the final day hoping Adam Marriott would sign a new deal amongst a raft of players having downed tools to three players completing 100 games for the club and a striker notching 50 in our colours, crazy 24 months!
ninestein

I recall there was a feeling of if we can't persuade Adam Marriott to sign a new deal, our prospects of signing good players must be dire.

As it was, AM has hardly set the league alight elsewhere, and we've gone from strength to strength. The crop of players signed in both thee 2 close seasons has been some of the best ever.

Normally you get a ratio of good/bad players when you recruit using the free market. But on the whole, most have worked out. Shields and Barratt stand out as those which didn't really make the grade. But Gorman, Kabamba, Kanu, Walker, Okimo, Collinge, Stead have been masterstroke, and they've all put the effort in as well as DB to make it work.

I do wonder how being in the playoffs affects Dean's recruitment plans for this summer. Normally there would be groundwork taking place months prior, but we don't know which division we'll be in. There must be a set of targets for the NL, and another set of targets for L2? Could be an interesting topic for another piece?
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
tonbridgebee

ninestein wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 18:53 I recall there was a feeling of if we can't persuade Adam Marriott to sign a new deal, our prospects of signing good players must be dire.

As it was, AM has hardly set the league alight elsewhere, and we've gone from strength to strength. The crop of players signed in both thee 2 close seasons has been some of the best ever.

Normally you get a ratio of good/bad players when you recruit using the free market. But on the whole, most have worked out. Shields and Barratt stand out as those which didn't really make the grade. But Gorman, Kabamba, Kanu, Walker, Okimo, Collinge, Stead have been masterstroke, and they've all put the effort in as well as DB to make it work.

I do wonder how being in the playoffs affects Dean's recruitment plans for this summer. Normally there would be groundwork taking place months prior, but we don't know which division we'll be in. There must be a set of targets for the NL, and another set of targets for L2? Could be an interesting topic for another piece?
Agreed, we all really wanted Mazza to stay, you wonder now what would have happened last season had he played to compliment Nicke.

Three lists on the go I think, one for each division but also a separate one of those we can sign who would fit either division and a no brainer regardless.
EastBarnetFan

I wonder how it feels for those players who must know they won't make the cut if we go up to L2? Must be an odd situation to know the short term high of promotion will lead to a sharp exit, scrambling for a new club in the summer (this question could be made about every club ever in a similar position).

Sometimes you see squads completely overhaul in the summer once promoted (look at Notts Forest a few years back going into the prem). Those that got them up are let go/sold on to fund higher quality players.
hoppy

EastBarnetFan wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 13:59 I wonder how it feels for those players who must know they won't make the cut if we go up to L2? Must be an odd situation to know the short term high of promotion will lead to a sharp exit, scrambling for a new club in the summer (this question could be made about every club ever in a similar position).

Sometimes you see squads completely overhaul in the summer once promoted (look at Notts Forest a few years back going into the prem). Those that got them up are let go/sold on to fund higher quality players.
If we do manage to gain promotion I hope a squad photo is given pride of place in the Legends Bar.
EastBarnetFan

Agree completely. Talking of the Legends Bar, what happened to the 'Barnetification' plans to make it more homely and less sterile?
BeeArmy22

hoppy wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 14:11
EastBarnetFan wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 13:59 I wonder how it feels for those players who must know they won't make the cut if we go up to L2? Must be an odd situation to know the short term high of promotion will lead to a sharp exit, scrambling for a new club in the summer (this question could be made about every club ever in a similar position).

If we do manage to gain promotion I hope a squad photo is given pride of place in the Legends Bar.
I don’t think we’d have a huge turnover of players if we went up. The players who don’t play as much (Laurie, wynter (maybe with his fairly recent good form he’d be kept), Stevens, senior and hooper you’d expect to leave. The rest I’d be more than happy to keep in the squad for next season. We might have some players sold (collinge, Kanu) but I think it’s more a case of upgrading the squad players to players capable of playing week in week out rather than selling a load of players who are good enough for us now.
becbee

We are not Nottingham Forest, we are not going to discard almost everybody and sign dozens of players then hit financial issues. Deano will strengthen but that will happen whichever league we find ourselves in.