Hakeem Odofin

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
jonbonbaby

Hakeem Odofin

Signed by wolves £100,000
rudebwoyben

Re: Hakeem Odofin

That's a bolt out of the blue. Where did you hear that?
Sounds like good business for us.
Jimbokav1971

My initial reaction to this isn't great.

I know £100,000 is a lot of money and there is meant to be a significant portion of his re-sale value included in the deal, but,.....

He's a centre-half that can also play full-back and we think he has enough footballing ability that we have used him on the flank. Am I wrong in thinking that we shouldn't be selling these sort of payers, or is it simply a case of economics and sales such as this allow us to bring other players through?

Next thing we know Stevens will be sold without really making an impact.

Am I foolish wanting more?

I look at EJ, Gambin & Mauro and I love that they came through the academy.
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
LeicesterBee

rudebwoyben wrote:That's a bolt out of the blue. Where did you hear that?
Sounds like good business for us.
Confirmed - all over Twitter.

Was expecting one of our players to sign for Wolves this transfer window but it wasn't him
Jimbokav1971

antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
hoofer2

A good piece of business for an as yet unproven player.......but it does concern me that we have some very talented development
squad players who are not being given a sniff of playing time in spite of out injuries / players not performing to scratch. A number of times recently
a development squad player has been prepared to be brought on as sub, only for MA to lose his balls and bring on an under-performer instead.
And the farce of bringing in Stacey rather than using our own academy is ridiculous.

We will never know how good Odofin could have been for us, but let's hope some of the others are given a go and is not just lip service once again from MA.
SudburyBee

Or maybe the development squad is purely to be sold on to keep Barnet afloat .. I don't put the blame at MA in many such situations as well as the money for signings , the buck stops at the top
jerroll

Jimbokav1971 wrote:My initial reaction to this isn't great.

I know £100,000 is a lot of money and there is meant to be a significant portion of his re-sale value included in the deal, but,.....

He's a centre-half that can also play full-back and we think he has enough footballing ability that we have used him on the flank. Am I wrong in thinking that we shouldn't be selling these sort of payers, or is it simply a case of economics and sales such as this allow us to bring other players through?

Next thing we know Stevens will be sold without really making an impact.

Am I foolish wanting more?

I look at EJ, Gambin & Mauro and I love that they came through the academy.
Why, he's a scholar who is not on a professional contract who has been with the club 18 months only so i would say £100,000 is probably a hell of a lot more than a tribunal would have given us had he seen out the season with us. Until any player signs a professional contract they can effectively leave for peanuts.
Anthony

hoofer2 wrote:A good piece of business for an as yet unproven player.......but it does concern me that we have some very talented development
squad players who are not being given a sniff of playing time in spite of out injuries / players not performing to scratch. A number of times recently
a development squad player has been prepared to be brought on as sub, only for MA to lose his balls and bring on an under-performer instead.
And the farce of bringing in Stacey rather than using our own academy is ridiculous.

We will never know how good Odofin could have been for us, but let's hope some of the others are given a go and is not just lip service once again from MA.
Odofin is a scholar. As it Matt Stevens. As is Kyle McKenzie Lyle. All three have got first team minutes this season. I'd be surprised if there was another manager in the league who has given out as many minutes to youth team players as Martin Allen has done this season.

As for the development squad, a number have gone out on loan. Have you tracked their progress at all? Cojocarel has been on the bench at Billericay and the only player to have received positive feedback on the forums is Harry Taylor. And he has two appearances in the last couple of weeks, including 20 minutes in a local derby where the game could have gone either way.

Letting players go on loan for the first half of the season is sensible. If they put in average performances for Hendon, they probably won't be much use in league two.
Mem Beespod

Playing average at Hendon isn't and shouldn't be a benchmark. The quality and style of football will be so different to what the youngsters have played at up to this point. The idea of these loans is to give the players an understanding of the physicality of the men's game and part of the learning process. Just because a player does badly at that level doesn't mean he's a lost cause. Young Players develop at different paces.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
BeesKnees

Looks like he came from Reading with Matty Stevens.

Makes me wonder about Stevens 'illness'

Good luck Hakeem, shame you didnt play much for us but I wish you a very successful career and that Barnet benefit from a sell on clause at some point in the future.
beew

Will any of this money be used to bring in an experienced striker or will we save it until the summer?
buzzzzinbee

Mr Smart wrote:Playing average at Hendon isn't and shouldn't be a benchmark. The quality and style of football will be so different to what the youngsters have played at up to this point. The idea of these loans is to give the players an understanding of the physicality of the men's game and part of the learning process. Just because a player does badly at that level doesn't mean he's a lost cause. Young Players develop at different paces.
Agreed.

Gambin was very average in his loan spells away in 2011-12
Anthony

buzzzzinbee wrote:
Mr Smart wrote:Playing average at Hendon isn't and shouldn't be a benchmark. The quality and style of football will be so different to what the youngsters have played at up to this point. The idea of these loans is to give the players an understanding of the physicality of the men's game and part of the learning process. Just because a player does badly at that level doesn't mean he's a lost cause. Young Players develop at different paces.
Agreed.

Quite. And Gambin didn't play for us until the following season. The post I was replying to was suggesting the players should be playing now. And Gambin was still a scholar in the 2011-12 season and so at an earlier stage of his development than the players I am talking about, so it's a bit of a false comparison that you are making...
Anthony

buzzzzinbee wrote:
Agreed.

Quite. And Gambin didn't play for us until the following season. The post I was replying to was suggesting the players should be playing now. And Gambin was still a scholar in the 2011-12 season and so at an earlier stage of his development than the players I am talking about, so it's a bit of a false comparison that you are making...