Downhill Second Half Returns + Podcast

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BigBee

Re: Downhill Second Half Returns + Podcast

The only constant in life is Change.
erichitchmo

Sorry it's a little delayed, just needed a little more time on the edit. We took some time to respond to your questions and comments in this week’s podcast. Whilst largely focussed on The Hive episode, we also took on some lighter questions and finished off with an obscure Xmas Barnet Quiz which you can join in at home...

One big thing we wanted to say was to thank people for listening over the course of this year and for all of the comments we have received, particularly on The Hive episode. Hopefully you've enjoyed listening to them as much as we have recording them. Cheers!

As always it's on the usual platforms, or you can take the direct route.

...warning, it's a very obscure quiz...
john dockers shorts

Nice one chaps, always good listen
jerroll

Another excellent listen chaps, it's fairly obvious that we will never all agree on the topic. Hope to see you guys at a big game sometime in the near future.
barnetpete

Top work again by the three guys.

As I mentioned back on an earlier page during lockdown I’ve changed my view on the move to the Hive and think it was now totally wrong.

They mentioned ex BFCSA members being in favour at the time and I was. It’s been interesting over the two podcasts thinking about why my view has changed.

Firstly and foremost, I’ve realised that a football club is about the ‘connection and identity’ to use two words Craig used. Despite all the issues with the ground it was the home of the club and in the quest for financial income and success of the club that was lost. Retaining the club in and around the area should always have been the most important thing.

At the time I had vested interest that my other half worked at underhill in the portercabins and I saw how bad the working conditions were, especially in the winter. I could see that the physio room and changing rooms were too small and the electrics not up to the job (remember how the south stand would lose speakers nearly every game!).

I’m pleased that they picked up on the Michael Hanley tweets, i do think after the 2006 elections fans did feel they had lost the battle and lots of people who had given lots of time just became a bit resigned to the ground issue &/or wanted to just enjoy the football club. That though allowed the ownership to make decisions without any real checks and balances from supporters, especially by the end when the infighting amongst supporters had meant the loss of any supporters body. (Ps admire Ollie’s post last week)

Personally I also think Edgar had a big effect on thinking it was a good idea. I was and still am excited that Edgar Davids played and managed our football club. Ignoring the sour ending to his time with us, that last season at Underhill was great in terms of him being there, nearly pulling off the escape of all escapes. In addition there was talk of ED investing in the club, coupled with the talk of the hive generating the income I did at the time think new ground, income, investment and the Edgar PR effect could bring success on the pitch. I realise now the quest for success shouldn’t have been at the detriment of the identity of the club.

As I said in a message to the guys privately, that I also felt that the move would stop the years and years of TK having the distraction of the ground issue and concentrate his focus on the football part of the football club. In reality it’s just allowed him to expand his business empire. I will put on record I have no issue with him developing and making more money for himself, good luck to him, but the ‘off field income’ was meant to help the on field success and whilst no success in sport is guaranteed you can’t argue we have gone backward over the last 10 years and not forward and whilst the income of the hive no doubt covers the shortfall of income from ticket sales and sponsorship, that’s what it was meant to do, that was what we were told it would do.

So despite all the issues at the ground, including at the time the priory grove issue, I do think that had the will had been there that the club could have retained itself at the ground, worked in its identity and still TK could have had the hive complex, been our training ground and the income generation for both BFC the football club, and made TK money.

In addition I can make Craig’s Christmas as I have a white loaded shirt he can have.

Roll on series 3. Looking forward to Kevin Mullen... he has to say yes!
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
letchbee94

Good listen. Enjoy hearing the views
I agree with James that if the name was changed I think that would be end for me, alot of fans have said same.
Sam_BFC

Nice listen and looking forward to further episodes.

Have Ismail Yakubu, Dean Sinclair or Joe Devera been invited on?
john dockers shorts

Im playing catch up, just listened to Greg Heald. Another excellent trip down memory lane....I tend to forget about many of the seasons but these bring all the memories back. Blackpool away what a great lads away day getting stuffed into the 3 sides of Blackpool ground. The game away at Boston on that random satellite channel...a load of us went armed with inflatable bananas. Peter shreeves in his tweeds good memories.

Nice one chaps
Bee_Forever

Fascinating thread. I will have to give the podcast a listen.

Fair play to ollie for fronting up re what happened but I would also say that apathy and inertia play their part in why the ST failed and has not moved out of dormancy.

The loss of the coaches was a necessary step given the financial disaster they were but with the wonderful benefit of hindsight we should not have given them up without a clear path to what we were then going to be without them. The SA did their best to carry on and redefine themselves but without the focal point of coaches it was difficult.

The trust came in with a clear vision and although I disagreed with their approach and still do I think that passion properly directed could have reinvigorated our ST especially if the chairman had honoured his promise for a supporter vote on the move.

However I think we need to start looking at ourselves a bit more for why we still don't have a supporter organisation 7 years on.

Even the liaison group has died off despite what TK says in his Q&A.

I still think we need to find it within ourselves to ensure that we have a credible representative body that can obtain and represent the views of supporters given the events of the last 12 months and previously.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
letchbee94

Tony was right though to move the club as staying at Underhill might have resulted in us being relegated to the conference south.
erichitchmo

After all that hoo-ha, we're back to inviting some guests to talk to us for our penultimate episode of Series Two.

Izale McLeod popped in to join us to talk about his prolific spell at the club which very much helped us to stay in the league on two occasions...

http://downhillsecondhalf.co.uk/Podcast/Podcast.aspx
jerroll

erichitchmo wrote:After all that hoo-ha, we're back to inviting some guests to talk to us for our penultimate episode of Series Two.

Izale McLeod popped in to join us to talk about his prolific spell at the club which very much helped us to stay in the league on two occasions...

http://downhillsecondhalf.co.uk/Podcast/Podcast.aspx
interesting listen ,Izale came across differently to how i expected him to.
Sam_BFC

Great guest. His full debut versus Accrington was pure boss.

I remember sitting in the Main Stand during a pre-season friendly, during which Izale fell on the floor and a Barnet fan yelled "GET UP YOU LAZY BASTARD". The look on Lawrie Sanchez's face as he turned his head towards us was classic.

Although there were some poor players in the 2010-11 squad, there was also lots of talent there that might have done better in other circumstances (e.g. playing together from the start of the season):
Jake Cole
Joe Devera (centre back only)
Darren Dennehy
George Francombe
Sam Deering
Mark Byrne
Grant Basey
Mark Marshall
Ricky Holmes
Steve Kabba
Izale McLeod

(Some) great days and a brilliant player.
erichitchmo

Make sure you tune in tomorrow morning for the finale of series two, where we are joined by Tony Cottee. His time at the club needs little introduction, but it's an honest and interesting view into those fateful months...
jerroll

erichitchmo wrote:Make sure you tune in tomorrow morning for the finale of series two, where we are joined by Tony Cottee. His time at the club needs little introduction, but it's an honest and interesting view into those fateful months...
Great respect for him doing that, look forward to hearing what he has to say.