Downhill Second Half Returns + Podcast

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Sam_BFC

Re: Downhill Second Half Returns + Podcast

An engaging and yes emotive listen. Thanks as always for sharing.

The Hive is arguably a root cause of some of the issues discussed, whilst being perhaps a symptom or even incidental factor to others. In any case, there are some valid criticisms in there from which even the biggest apologist would struggle to hide. Perhaps the (what I consider to be) more valid criticisms make people less forgiving when it comes to things that would otherwise be less important. I don't know.

Some relevant and maybe less interesting points that came to mind as I was listening.

- Copthall versus Hive
Connecting the tube line to Mill Hill East would have been brilliant but hard to believe that something as huge as that was ever on the cards(?) For me both sites are located in the Edgware area (even if one is technically "Harrow"), and quite inconvenient for anyone that doesn't have a car.

- Barnet FC/TK versus Barnet Council
The "coincidence" that both Barnet Playing Fields and Copthall have been subsequently developed without Barnet FC. Not sure if the implication is that Barnet FC/TK is the common denominator and therefore shoulders some blame for that, however it is equally true that The Hive site was developed where Barnet Council was instead the notable absentee.

I think there could have been some emphasis on the bloody awful (and ultimately short sighted) attitude of some of the residents around Underhill. They proved to be our biggest obstacle in my opinion :twisted: And look at what they have ended up with now...whatever the truth, the discussion certainly brings home how infuriating it is that such similar facilities to The Hive are now present on Barnet Lane. Terrible, terrible shame, and it is not like TK didn't want to do that years ago.

- The Referendum
I found this thread which might provide some context:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1882
Not sure that there is much more on record about it nowadays.

We can complain about the lack of referendum, but no fan or group of fans made enough of a noise to force the issue. We also had record season ticket ("membership") sales in that first Hive season, I think, about 1,000. Subsequent fallout is perhaps less about The Hive per se and more about what has gone on since.

- Off Field Revenue/Hosting First Team Games
During a pre-Hive Q&A, I actually specifically asked about the financial benefit of "temporarily" moving the first team to The Hive. Here is the answer, though it might not fully address the points made in the podcast:
This is a very good question and easy for me to answer. Apart from the minimum things you would expect at a stadium like some toilets, a bit of food, changing rooms, Directors and Players Lounges etc., we have nothing commercial at Underhill whatsoever. Absolutely nothing! We work from temporary cabins and although we have some limited planning permission to build on the car park, this is part of the Cricket Club land and the Council won’t renew the lease or allow us to build anything there anyway. In fact, since the announcement of our departure the Council has only offered us a six month extension on the current lease for the crumbling Pavilion Bar and that’s it!
At The Hive, in addition to the usual requirements, we have banqueting for over 500 guests; Sponsors’ Hospitality for 200; a Supporters’ Bar and restaurant with a capacity of 560; parking for 350 cars and 10 coaches; as well as a café, crèche, gym etc. and everything is new, not 100 years old! The possibilities for The Hive make it a very exciting time to be a Bee!
It is probably fair to make note of the significant additional overhead and impracticalities associated with maintaining two sites. I'd be curious to know what the most ideal but realistic alternative outcome could have been.

- "Temporary"/10 -Year Move
Yes this was likely not really the intention. But again, the fanbase did nothing to force TK's hand. He made a very direct offer to the fans that he would pursue a return to Barnet if the fans could raise the funds for a planning application. One brilliant fan committed to walking to every (Saturday?) home game for a whole season, but only about 12 of us pledged any funds. Hard to blame TK for focussing on trying to move the club forward instead of waiting around for us to get our act together.

Was the move to The Hive really sprung upon us only a couple of months before the end of that final Underhill season? I recall it being at least a little earlier, perhaps very early in the 2012-13 season.

- The Dilemma Article
Yes, quite a blunder.

- Ambition/Promise of League 1
Moving to The Hive would have been easier to swallow if it occurred in a different context, i.e. on the crest of a wave of on-field success.

Success on the pitch is transient and can drastically change in a matter of months. Infrastructure on the other hand is more long-term and predictable so surely needs its own separate focus.

Graham Westley was obviously a(nother) disastrous appointment, which was certainly hard to swallow at the time, but he had my support while he was here and I'd still have preferred it if he was a success, a tonedeaf choice in hindsight maybe, desperate certainly, but Barnet legend Barry Fry apparently saw him as a suitable fit for the club and personally recommended him.

Nothing is guaranteed in football and despite our miserable recent failures, evidence suggests that we spent more on our team than at any other time in our history once we moved to The Hive.

- Identity & The Future
The most difficult topic for me, and the reason I personally thought it short sighted of many of our fans to so readily dismiss the Back2Barnet Campaign. Goodness knows where the next set of Barnet fans is going to come from. A real concern. However, I don't see why this would be a reason for any current Barnet fans to withdraw their support (notwithstanding being pissed off about some of the other things discussed ).

Another point though that I think has been missed both in this episode and the episode with Dan Whiting: I am not sure about other people's experiences, but for most kids in Barnet, as far as I could tell from my experiences at school, Underhill was a joke and a major obstacle in attracting a new generation of Barnet fans. Not saying The Hive has solved that problem, but an important point.

Disappointing that any of you can take any personal satisfaction from what has gone on with Barnet recently. Of course, other people's mileage does vary so to speak, but for me, for now at least, so much, or at least enough of, Barnet FC remains in the continuation of its history, and the familiar faces both in the stands and (until very recently) on the pitch and in the dugout.

It is funny, presenter Iain talks about living abroad. I am doing same now, and despite *how bad* it has been for most of the last several years, I remain as desperate as ever to see our team do well.

It would feel even less un-like Barnet with the likes of the presenters still among us at games. You care enough to make the podcast I guess, so I won't lose hope yet :sos: Some real Barnet people (Darren Currie and Martin Allen) really went out of their way to try and get you to support their teams, I hope people like that continue to represent the club and one day convince you before it is too late.
john dockers shorts

Interesting listen to chaps.

I have to say I really don't get it.

I used to love going to Underhill, but for years it was crap with a non existent atmosphere.

Listening it seems like you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. You clearly have loved the club and I certainly used to see you James when we are on the away days with my group of mates and it was quality!

Its a game of opinions of course, I agree with a lot of what you said about identity etc....but does the shade of the kit, a few table being put out etc all add upto not watching your team.

On a match day there are loads of young kids that go, I take my lad who is 10 and he loves it and the nice facilities do make it an easier sell in than standing on terraces....(yes we all did it as kids, I did at Underhill...but things change)

We are all different, but this is still Barnet FC, still a club that makes me happy and fed up continuously. I didn't think twice about paying £9.99 to watch us v Chesterfield even though I knew it would be rubbish.

I used to go to games with all my family and my mates and now its just me my son and a couple of the family. Of course it was more fun when we all used to meet up and shuffle into our spot either in the East Terrace or Westbank going back in the day. Even the away games I used to go to almost every one and now as things change you pick and choose.

Your football team is a drug and clearly you are still addicted otherwise you wouldn't still do your podcasts etc. It just sounds like you have over time dug yourselves into such deep holes and made up your mind that you can't like the Hive. Its the club that matters to me, not that we dont play at Underhill, have a maybe more orange than amber kit, or a name change to a bar or appointment of a pantomime villan as a manager.

I do think in life we have to embrace change, we may not agree with all of it but the small amounts of joy I get watching the Bees for me is still worth it...just seeing my lad talking to the players as he did last year with that training session held in the ground. He thinks Akinola is still his best mate!

BTW I enjoy the podcasts. Have a great Christmas

Chris.
thefootballtrimmings

Great podcast guys, really enjoyed it even if it was a depressing one.

I think it goes without saying that the majority want us back in Barnet and for The Hive to run as training/business/administration centre for the club.

The real question is if it wasn't the Hive, what would have happened to the club? Ground-sharing with Orient? We were living on borrowed time at Underhill and its very unlikely we'd still be there today had The Hive not come to fruition. At least now we have a solid ground and set up, albeit outside the borough walls.

Biggest pain points for The Hive is its awkward location (2/3 buses or a job into London to come back out again) and the fact it's not in the borough. You're right, 6 miles is a long way in a city like London and it will probably never feel like home but to new fans it might do as they wouldn't know any different.

We're not alone in this, most clubs who've moved on to a new ground, even technically in their city/town, long for their old ground back (think Sunderland and Roker Park, Southampton and The Dell). We all want to turn the clock back and remember our more innocent youth with rose-tinted glasses.

Where I disagree with some of the points was to almost dismiss The Hive from the offset, almost by principle. I think the majority of tried to make the best out of the situation but the poor football for 6/7 years has made the transition more difficult. Our beloved club will never be what it once was, things move on and develop. Barnet isn't what it was in the 1930s to what is was in the Fry era.

I think if we had pushed on to League 1, this could have changed the mindset of a lot of disgruntled fans but what happens on the pitch does have a big affect off it.

Not really bothered by 'London Bees', I think it makes a lot of sense as women's football continues to grow and TK is capitalising on that. If they want to stick their name on the side of the building alongside Barnet FC, fair enough.
Check out my football blog (which includes a fair amount of Barnet FC!) https://www.thefootballtrimmings.com
erichitchmo

Thanks all for this! We’ve had lots of reaction, comments and questions from the Hive episode, which it’s only right we answer in full. To do this properly, we’ve decided to record a one-off Q&A episode.

Send us over any further questions or things to discuss before we record over the weekend. We’ll definitely have a look through some of the comments above as well.

We’ve loved the reaction to the podcast since we started and massively appreciate the time people have taken to listen. Questions can be about anything at all - podcast, Barnet, whatever!

Tweet us/post anything to answer/discuss and we’ll get it on Monday’s show.
Sam_BFC

Nice one chaps. Please address whatever you might feel like from my post above, however I have one additional question:

You wake up one Saturday morning and fancy taking in a game of live football. Where do you go?
thefootballtrimmings

erichitchmo wrote:Thanks all for this! We’ve had lots of reaction, comments and questions from the Hive episode, which it’s only right we answer in full. To do this properly, we’ve decided to record a one-off Q&A episode.

Send us over any further questions or things to discuss before we record over the weekend. We’ll definitely have a look through some of the comments above as well.

We’ve loved the reaction to the podcast since we started and massively appreciate the time people have taken to listen. Questions can be about anything at all - podcast, Barnet, whatever!

Tweet us/post anything to answer/discuss and we’ll get it on Monday’s show.
2 questions!

If Barnet turned it around and climbed up the ladder to let's say L1 within the next 2-4 years, would this be enough to overcome your stance against The Hive?

What would be the true nail in the coffin to supporting Barnet completely? E.g. Name change to Harrow Bees FC
Check out my football blog (which includes a fair amount of Barnet FC!) https://www.thefootballtrimmings.com
BigBee

The truth is not all Barnet supporters live in the London Borough of Barnet.

When BFC was based at Underhill, I remember, not sure when, that a check was
made on Season Ticket holder’s addresses.

It showed that approx 20% of those, at that time, lived in the borough of Barnet.

Obviously, that’s 80% who didn’t.

Can’t say that applies to all attendees, but, food for thought.
thefootballtrimmings

BigBee wrote:The truth is not all Barnet supporters live in the London Borough of Barnet.

It showed that approx 20% of those, at that time, lived in the borough of Barnet.

Interesting analysis. Would be interesting to know what it looks like today. How many fans from Harrow are we attracting?
Mikel Bee

Purely anecdotal but I spoke to some people last season from Alperton/Perivale who had started following us and were loving it, despite the doom and frustration before DC turned things around. Occasional QPR goers turned Barnet.

Clearly not enough to make up for those fans we've lost but a start.

Good podcast. Can certainly relate to a lot of those feelings. There's something missing on a match day for me, most of all it not being in the place I grew up and live. However it's still my club, there are so many regular faces from Underhill and a shared sense of history I still get a kick out of going. It still feels enough like Barnet that I couldn't stop going.
underhillbovrilstink

Another top episode and a number of salient points made, many which had slipped from my memory. The 9 weeks notice given that it would be our last game at Underhill was shocking, and how we accepted this so apathetically aside from a few back 2 Barnet t shirts still bothers me. Would Orient fans have accepted something like this so quietly ?

Do you think if the area around “The Hive Edgware” had more of hight street/pubs/buzz about it, then more of the original fans would have kept attending?

I would say the majority of football fans I know enjoy a pre/post match pint away from their teams stadium as part of the Saturday ritual. Underhill had a superb selection in convenient places around the ground, The Weaver/Queens Arms for those hopping off the bus like myself, the Railway Bell for those getting the train to new Barnet, the Old Red Lion for the away fans getting off the tube and a number of Pubs in High Barnet for those walking down from that direction. I bumped into a Swindon town fan at work recently and he was reminiscing about what an enjoyable away day he had at Underhill and how friendly the pubs were, standing on the terraces and great fish and chips after the match. The area around the Hive is a a long way from anything like that.

The Hive is so very painful to travel to by public transport and the offering of pubs/shops around the ground is is piss poor, the last time I was in Monroes (Relegation match v Chesterfield) they didn’t even put any Barnet colours up, no connection, no identity. We don’t all want to drink inside the stadium. People who enjoy this aspect won’t bother with the Hive because the it’s not worth the hours on public transport. Does anyone even know if there is an Away fans pub near the hive ? For me part of an away day is exploring the locality and finding some nice pubs to settle into, getting your pre match pint and a nod to fellow bees who have travelled afar.
WeAreBarnet

I’m a younger Barnet fan from Kingsbury so The Hive is closer to me than most however, I still miss Underhill so much and The Hive will never replace Underhill EVER. For me , it’s the regular faces from Underhill days that make Barnet what it is!

I totally understand why some people feel like it ain’t the same because it’s true. The only way it was ever going to feel Barnet was if South Underhill went through, but I honestly believe if you walked in to The Legends Bar and saw those faces again, you’d realise it was always the same club no matter the postcode. Us fans have divided quite a lot over the years but I think it’s time we heal as a fan base.

Sending love to everyone this Christmas and hope everyone stays safe!
thefootballtrimmings

underhillbovrilstink wrote:Another top episode and a number of salient points made, many which had slipped from my memory. The 9 weeks notice given that it would be our last game at Underhill was shocking, and how we accepted this so apathetically aside from a few back 2 Barnet t shirts still bothers me. Would Orient fans have accepted something like this so quietly ?

Do you think if the area around “The Hive Edgware” had more of hight street/pubs/buzz about it, then more of the original fans would have kept attending?

I would say the majority of football fans I know enjoy a pre/post match pint away from their teams stadium as part of the Saturday ritual. Underhill had a superb selection in convenient places around the ground, The Weaver/Queens Arms for those hopping off the bus like myself, the Railway Bell for those getting the train to new Barnet, the Old Red Lion for the away fans getting off the tube and a number of Pubs in High Barnet for those walking down from that direction. I bumped into a Swindon town fan at work recently and he was reminiscing about what an enjoyable away day he had at Underhill and how friendly the pubs were, standing on the terraces and great fish and chips after the match. The area around the Hive is a a long way from anything like that.

The Hive is so very painful to travel to by public transport and the offering of pubs/shops around the ground is is piss poor, the last time I was in Monroes (Relegation match v Chesterfield) they didn’t even put any Barnet colours up, no connection, no identity. We don’t all want to drink inside the stadium. People who enjoy this aspect won’t bother with the Hive because the it’s not worth the hours on public transport. Does anyone even know if there is an Away fans pub near the hive ? For me part of an away day is exploring the locality and finding some nice pubs to settle into, getting your pre match pint and a nod to fellow bees who have travelled afar.
I've never quite got the whole pre-match pint and get to your seat at kick off or 5 mins late ritual. Part of the experience for me is to be inside as the ground fills up, with the pre-match music, away fans starting to make some noise and the teams warming up on the pitch.

I'd get serious FOMO if I found myself stuck in a pub 10 mins away from the ground before kick off missing this. It's also quite a British thing to do. In Italy for example, fans will be in the stands an hour or two before kick off, it's all part of the experience. Only over here do I see 80% of the crowd get to their seat with only a minute or two to go.

Half-time and post-match pints are most welcomed however!
DerekRocholl

BigBee wrote:The truth is not all Barnet supporters live in the London Borough of Barnet.

I did that analysis. The % Living in the Borough of Barnet was much higher than 20%, although it did show a significant proportion of the support at the time came from outside the EN4 and 5 Postcodes.
iBee

One of the big issues at the time was the fact that the BFCSA had been taken over by individuals that only wanted to represent themselves, they created a Trust as an ego trip and then decided to support Hadley once the going got tough.

I forget all people involved with the Trust and this horror show, Derk, Jerry, Nosh and Oily ring a bell but I might be wrong.

These people created a huge divide within the fan base and made it very easy for TK to move us without much fuss.
BEEGONE

iBee wrote:One of the big issues at the time was the fact that the BFCSA had been taken over by individuals that only wanted to represent themselves, they created a Trust as an ego trip and then decided to support Hadley once the going got tough.

I forget all people involved with the Trust and this horror show, Derk, Jerry, Nosh and Oily ring a bell but I might be wrong.

These people created a huge divide within the fan base and made it very easy for TK to move us without much fuss.
Spot on, they should have called out those people on the podcast. They destroyed the BFCSA by trying some vanity project based on uni politics and foreign ownership models which were very vogue at that time and have since gone no where.

The fans who still care about the club lost out because of a few individuals and their egos.