Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
Moonchild_Bee

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - No. 5 Kenny Lowe

OK, so yes the title has been amended, and therein is the answer to the question and the tenuous link...

What differentiates the following groups of Bees Players?

- Mark Arber, Mark Gower, Fraser Toms, Tony Lynch
and
- Richard Huxford, Jake Cole, Zeke Rowe and Kenny Lowe...

That's right, not a single person voted for the first group of players in the Official Top 91 Players of All Time.

That's not 1 vote to Mark Arber (just under 200 appearances), nothing for Mark Gower, now plying his trade in the premiership (should also be noted that the only other ex-bee regular Premiership starter Fitz Hall also didn't get a vote - unsurprisingly :laugh: ), nor Fraser 'Cruyff Turn' Toms, or Tony Lynch - what a hero he was.

Yet 'Mr Own Goal' Richard Huxford, Jake 'Leaving for League 1' Cole, and our helpless temporary Chelsea loanee Zeke Rowe did. Not, they might be undeserved, but there is no doubt that Kenny Lowe deserves each and every accolade this man received.

He was the non-league, then lower-league 'Hoddle' (he was also called that even when partnered by Carl Hoddle, who also failed to received a vote). He looked more like an extra from the 80's The Bill than a footballer. He has no hair, but we didn't care. He was a genius. Yet he was also part-time - he only became a 'professional' when signed by Barry Fry at Birmingham at the ripe old age of 31 (for £75,000 - yep - thanks to Fat Stan he left us on a free, signed for Stoke, and 9 games later attracted the kind of fee that we should have received as a mere deposit).

Best description was left to his mum (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 24699.html) who simply said he was blessed with a left foot that could "make the ball talk". Currently (I think) assistant coach at Perth Glory.

What a man.

Some highlights of him here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S-hZ47IVp0
squeeze90

You tease!
Reckless

Nicky ran the show that night at Wycombe - what movement for the third Bees goal - goose bumps in Potters Bar.
ape1968

I remember walking up to him on the pitch at Blackpool after we'd lost our play-off semi-final 2nd leg. He had tears in his eyes at not getting through. That's how much he cared. The man really had class.
"The feeling of stepping out for Barnet for the first time was the same as a Champions League match. It is just joy"

Edgar Davids
barnetdw

Oh what a player, got a tear in my eye thinking of him just now! Or is that partly hankering after being 18 again?
bucks bee

Didn't he used to drive down from his home on Teesside, about 250 miles away, to play for us? I think he had a job in a chemical factory up there. I remember one time when he came down and didn't get on the pitch (we had a rather stronger squad in those days than now); must have been gutted. I also recall fondly the badly-fitting orange-coloured sports jacket that he wore, which was probably regarded as the height of fashion in Billingham. Great, great player.
barnetdw

Forgot to say - legend! When I think back to players like that am I being just nostalgic when I wonder if they would waltz into the Republic of Ireland midfield now (that's who I support, so just wondering given the lack of creative passing at times), maybe even the England one? It was just real natural talent...

And I feel my argument is bolstered by seeing someone like Albert Adomah playing well for us ('yeah, it's only League 2' is an attitude people could have taken) but he's now in the Championship and even at international level he's looking good. Makes me wonder...

And going off topic, I did feel that Barnet would end up in the top division back in the day. I was convinced! The momentum, the football, the skill levels of some of the players.... how things change!
Mem Beespod

bucks bee wrote:Didn't he used to drive down from his home on Teesside, about 250 miles away, to play for us? I think he had a job in a chemical factory up there. I remember one time when he came down and didn't get on the pitch (we had a rather stronger squad in those days than now); must have been gutted. I also recall fondly the badly-fitting orange-coloured sports jacket that he wore, which was probably regarded as the height of fashion in Billingham. Great, great player.
Still is my favourite Bees player of all time. I remember his debut and instantly he was stroking the ball around. Absolute class. :ohlord:
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
Golf Delta

I remember two outstanding goals by Kenny, both towards the north stand.

The first was in our first league season, November 91, against Halifax. The ball fell loose about 25 yards from goal and Kenny ran on to it and curled it into the top right corner which nonchalant ease. We won 3-0 and went top, top, top of the laegue, as Bazza said.

The second was the next season, November 92, against Walsall on a Tuesday night. We had just beaten Crewe 3-2 in a thriller on Saturday, when Walsall trudged into town. Kenny scored twice that night, I don't remember one but the other goal was a delectible 30 yard chip.

He was indeed, a brilliant, brilliant player.
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
ricardobee

When I think of all the great creative midfield players I've seen, Gerry Ward, Dennis D'Arcy, Tony Brimacombe, John Marge and Les Eason, Kenny Lowe has to be the best, just for his slide-back and step-over, the man was a total genius.

Those top four above him need to be good.
Moonchild_Bee

Top 91 Players of All Time - No. 4 Gary Bull

ricardobee wrote:When I think of all the great creative midfield players I've seen, Gerry Ward, Dennis D'Arcy, Tony Brimacombe, John Marge and Les Eason, Kenny Lowe has to be the best, just for his slide-back and step-over, the man was a total genius.

Those top four above him need to be good.
Indeed Ricardobee, very good indeed. And do they get much better than Gary Bull? Gary William Bull, scorer of (shedload of goals) in (not that many) appearances between 1989-1993. I believe also our first Premiership Player (this could be wrong) partnering Pierre Van Hooijdonk at Notts Forest.

He oozed class. His goals were all sweetly taken, and often very very important. He scored THAT goal against Fisher Athletic (sorry, it was on You Tube, can't find it now).

I could wax lyrical all day about the man that was to many, what Nicky Evans is to Reckless. But i'll leave it to you...

Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Gary Bull.

GRH

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - No. 4 Gary Bull

He was my number one, so I'll echo Ricardobee that those above him need to be good.

It wasn't only his goals, but his all round play. He could hold the ball up, despite his size, and he linked the play, whether holding up for the midfield to join, or laying it out wide to Showler, Cooper or whoever was playing wide.

Everyone who was there will remember that goal against Fisher, and why not when it was the first time where I dared to believe that we'd get the result we needed. Not to mention it was a goal of the season contender. But there were so many more that just defined why he was our best striker in my time watching the Bees. Left foot, right foot, with his head. Inside the six yard box, outside the box it didn't matter.

He's probably still playing, and if he is, he's definitely still scoring.
Golf Delta

Moonchild_Bee wrote: Gary William Bull, scorer of 37 goals in 83 appearances between 1989-1993.
Are these Wiki figures correct? I suspect they are League figures only and don't include the Conference.
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
Jon83

Golf Delta wrote:
Moonchild_Bee wrote: Gary William Bull, scorer of 37 goals in 83 appearances between 1989-1993.
Are these Wiki figures correct? I suspect they are League figures only and don't include the Conference.
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/searc ... ype=player

Gives cup goals as well.
Golf Delta

Jon83 wrote:
Golf Delta wrote:
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/searc ... ype=player

Gives cup goals as well.
Thanks but surely that's still only FL. Where can his Conference stats be found and added to these to show how truly awesome he was?