Dog and Duck (Hive) The Match Thread Whose Cup Hoofeth Over

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
becbee

Re: Dog and Duck (Hive) The Match Thread Whose Cup Hoofeth O

Regardless of the result, how horrible a side are Borehamwood? They may be 2nd in NL but I would never want my team to behave like they did / always do. Brennan's pre match interview summed them up tactfully but perfectly. They were bad enough in the first half but coming out 0-0 for the second half, they became even worse. It only eased off because they scored.

Fyfield on Bloomfield's shirt was bad enough but what about the incident when their player had play brought back to the half way line in his attempt to get Hall sent off? Hall only got yellow and justice was done when BW also got a yellow.

I was willing us on to equalise but now I'm just glad I don't have to watch those thugs again on Tuesday evening.

I thought Woods looked very good even if he did tire later, Hall looks to improve with every match and I think Oxenborough is a better keeper than Sargeant.
BeesKnees99

Dog and Duck (Hive) The Match Thread Whose Cup Hoofeth Over

Frustrating performance. Got into some good positions but had nothing in the final third. Lack of urgency at the end when we needed it most.

Borehamwood were nothing special, a jammy goal against the run of play and deployed their usual anti-football tactics. Referee was weak, linesman on the near side even weaker.

3 games for me this season, 3 losses, 8 goals conceded and 0 Barnet goals. Starting to think I’m the problem!
Ajtheone04

Performance level was similar to that in the other 2 home games under Brennan, just couldn't grind out a result this time.
Usual suspects + EMC were good, thought Woods showed what he could do but he did look a bit unfit and didn't seem that mobile.
Don't know how HT is still here, they constantly attacked him throughout the game and he stood up to every challenge.
hoppy

Ajtheone04 wrote:Performance level was similar to that in the other 2 home games under Brennan, just couldn't grind out a result this time.
Usual suspects + EMC were good, thought Woods showed what he could do but he did look a bit unfit and didn't seem that mobile.
Don't know how HT is still here, they constantly attacked him throughout the game and he stood up to every challenge.
Yes, for me, Harry Taylor was outstanding today. Definitely my MOM.
Roy57

LeftSideRun wrote:Also, Brennan seemed to be having a right go at the ref at full time. Perhaps about the number of times Fyfield had Bloomfields shirt almost off.
He mentioned in his post match interview he hoped the referee would be strong because of
Boringwoods strong arm physical approach. Attendance 1615
#Beebot

We just weren't fluid enough going forward. Too many misplaced passes and poor decisions.

That performance reminded me a lot of the kind of performance we used to see in the first few months under Currie before he really got us motoring. Lots of possession but not clinical enough.
bzzzzz

Roy57 wrote:Ended Barnet 0-1 Wood. On 80 mins Thomas done well found Marriott in space who turned and
Lashed at it and hit it wide of the post. Didn't expect us to win today so not surprised at being knocked out of FA cup. Good chance Bassey could be available soon. Portsmouth not son in 7 or 8 away games and lost 4-1 today.
I thought Bassey was great last season. Very competent guy. However he had the chance at the end of last season. He would have had a complete pre season to build a team that could compete.

I don't know if he was offered more money, but he was offered much less responsibility at Portsmouth.

If he did choose to come back to us, it seems fairly likely that if he had any success he would leave pretty quickly.

I'm quite keen to see how Brennan progresses. It's also worth remembering that when we approached Brennan when he was at Wealdstone he chose to stick with them. I'd like to think he believes in what he's building at the hive and would like to see how far he can take us.
Ajtheone04

Does anyone know if there is a playlist with all of the pre match songs on it, turned up early enough to listen to most of it today and there were some real good songs I hadn't heard of and can't find by typing the lyrics into youtube.
pgbee

Roy57 wrote:
LeftSideRun wrote:Also, Brennan seemed to be having a right go at the ref at full time. Perhaps about the number of times Fyfield had Bloomfields shirt almost off.
He mentioned in his post match interview he hoped the referee would be strong because of
Should Barnet and Hoofwood be embarrassed by the fact more watched Horsham v Woking than went to THL?
let_it_bee

#Beebot wrote:We just weren't fluid enough going forward. Too many misplaced passes and poor decisions.

That performance reminded me a lot of the kind of performance we used to see in the first few months under Currie before he really got us motoring. Lots of possession but not clinical enough.
Yeah, but you have to allow for the fact that we were up against an exceptionally physical and defensively robust team. I fully agree with Becbee's comments in that respect.

I didn't think we deserved to lose today. One rather flukey goalmouth scramble decided it. We played some good football, showed good commitment and were pretty well organised defensively. Particular credit to HT, EMC and I thought Bloomfield gave a good account of himself when he came on - good work rate and surprisingly good on the ball at times.

We're competitive now and that's all I've been wanting to see over these last 2 miserable seasons. Listening to Brennan I'm convinced he's the right man for the job and is getting the best out of a decent set of players. It's very much work in progress, but we're heading in the right direction.

One thing I would have liked to see was a bit of a gamble at the end by sticking Woods or one of our bigger defenders upfront for the last 15 minutes. Probably wouldn't have succeeded because 'route 1' is very much the Wood's forte, but worth a try I thought.
DerekRocholl

Easy to see why Boreham Wood are doing well. They are a very well organised, physical side who are really difficult to break down.

Although disappointing to lose to a scrappy goal in a game of few clear cut chances I thought we played pretty well, were the better side for most of the game and had encouraging performances from the whole of our defensive unit in particular, and some glimpses of class from Hall to enjoy.

With the way the team is starting to gel under Brennan we should be able to look forward to a reasonable season without flirting with relegation.
gafferbee

First match since Notts County for me. Totally different performance from then, much better. Hall really caught the eye, skill and a lovely left foot. Thought Widdowson was solid but Thomas looked a bit lost - constantly hesitating and letting good positions go. Bloomfield looked pretty strong but couldn’t quite force a first half header into the top corner. Woods mopped up nicely. But we weren’t cute enough to compete with them and we let them run the show for too much of the game.

Seemed like something to build on though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tuesds

pgbee wrote:
Roy57 wrote:
Should Barnet and Hoofwood be embarrassed by the fact more watched Horsham v Woking than went to THL?
No - today was a big day for Horsham, and they had a bumper crowd today.

The FA Cup is different. More people were at Bromsgrove Sporting vs Grimsby today than at Stockport, but I don’t think Stockport will be worried about that. It’s when our crowds are smaller than Horsham’s league attendances that we’ll need to start to worry!

Only 718 at the other all-National League London derby, Wealdstone vs Dagenham, I see. They probably should find that a bit embarrassing!
becbee

Horsham's attendance last Saturday for their Isthmian League match v Potters Bar was 671.
pgbee

Tuesds wrote:
pgbee wrote:
Roy57 wrote:
No - today was a big day for Horsham, and they had a bumper crowd today.

The FA Cup is different. More people were at Bromsgrove Sporting vs Grimsby today than at Stockport, but I don’t think Stockport will be worried about that. It’s when our crowds are smaller than Horsham’s league attendances that we’ll need to start to worry!

Only 718 at the other all-National League London derby, Wealdstone vs Dagenham, I see. They probably should find that a bit embarrassing!
My point was Bees and Wood are around 5-10 miles apart and they couldn't beat 1927 for a cup tie, one side 2nd in NL...I admit Woking are better supported than Bees and Wood and Horsham isn't too far to travel but I still think it's at least disappointing. Good to be at a game where there was positivity in the home crowd too despite being 2nd from bottom in Isthmian Premier.