Back to Amber

eastbarnetsupporter

Back to Amber

Hello all,

It's not gone unnoticed that Barnet's colours have changed over the years, and now more than ever the identity of the club is at risk (move to Harrow etc).

Do the BFCSA1926 have any plans to encourage the club to stick to the original colours? We're practically tangerine at times and look more like Blackpool.

I understand it's more expensive for the club to stick to the original colours when sourcing stock and team wear (see the actual badge for a reminder, the flag colours are correct) but this is important and should be challenged more.

In the stands on matchday, you'll notice normally more senior fans with the original coloured scarves and you can see how much we differ. Seems like from 1993 onwards we switched up and never went back to amber.
becbee

Re: Back to Amber

Could I say that as someone who has "only" supported the club since 2000 ( 22 years) I associate the current colours with Barnet and really would not want a change to what I perceive to be a dull miserable shade.
Many clubs have changed their colours over the decades. Before you consider pursuing this with the club would you at least canvas all fans to see what level of support there is for such a change. I appreciate that Eastbarnetsupporter's view might likely be shared by some older, longer time fans but the views of those who have come to the club in the last 29 years are equally as relevant and important.
eastbarnetsupporter

becbee wrote:Could I say that as someone who has "only" supported the club since 2000 ( 22 years) I associate the current colours with Barnet and really would not want a change to what I perceive to be a dull miserable shade.
Many clubs have changed their colours over the decades. Before you consider pursuing this with the club would you at least canvas all fans to see what level of support there is for such a change. I appreciate that Eastbarnetsupporter's view might likely be shared by some older, longer time fans but the views of those who have come to the club in the last 29 years are equally as relevant and important.
Hi Becbee,

Good point about clubs changing over time and young generation associating Barnet with orange/tangerine.

Interestingly enough, I started supporting Barnet in the exact same year as you! So I too am used to the more vibrant orange on the kits (especially in our Conference winning season of 2005).

I would say that for a club to be named Barnet when we are in Harrow, and for us to chant 'Black & amber army' etc and not even be amber, it's feels a bit hollow and technically incorrect. I would say check out the kits in the 80s on this link for reference to colours - http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Barnet/Barnet.htm
becbee

Hi Eastbarnetsupporter,

I agree your point about chanting "black and amber army" - but then, we also chant "we are Barnet from Underhill". That's equally technically incorrect.

I suspect my grounds for being anti amber might well be routed in the miserable brown and black commemorative strip of 2007/08. That was so dreary. Then we followed it with black. I was so relieved to get back to orange!
eastbarnetsupporter

To me, "we are Barnet from Underhill". is a throwback to our history and nostalgia for the past (+ maybe a little dig at TK to remind him where we should really be!).
MCB

It's not top of the list of my priorities, in fact, I prefer the stronger colours of recent years than the amber of the Coastal kit BUT I understand that it is important to some / many.

In recent years the amber has been orange because of kit pricing - quite simply if you use a kit from a limited number of colours the manufacturer works with it's far cheaper than getting a tailored colour.

However, with changes in kit manufacturers it may be possible. Be interested to know the strength of feeling...

In fact, what i'd like to see is the club use the same kit design as the club used a century ago. Give us the 1919-1923 kit next season please...
eastbarnetsupporter

MCB wrote:It's not top of the list of my priorities, in fact, I prefer the stronger colours of recent years than the amber of the Coastal kit BUT I understand that it is important to some / many.

In recent years the amber has been orange because of kit pricing - quite simply if you use a kit from a limited number of colours the manufacturer works with it's far cheaper than getting a tailored colour.

However, with changes in kit manufacturers it may be possible. Be interested to know the strength of feeling...

In fact, what i'd like to see is the club use the same kit design as the club used a century ago. Give us the 1919-1923 kit next season please...
1919-1923 kits look great! classic look and feel.

With kits becoming more fashionable and teams dropping special collections left, right and centre (see QPR's latest vintage kit release this week + Arsenal's TFL partnership training gear drop), are Barnet capitalising on this? Clubs also release modified retro kits from the 80s and 90s, which for fans like myself who missed this era, would be great to own.