South Stand

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
jlay72

Re: South Stand

Anyone thinking the new stand and increased capacity is not for the benefit of us and maybe another club further down the line? I would only ever see us filling the stadium on big FA Cup nights or if we went up a couple of leagues perhaps leading to increased attendances (bit of a stretch)
antbfc

if we by some miracle get back to the league they may look to utilise more of the west stand for away fans.

When we play the bigger clubs they could comfortably take 2-3k if doing well (historically Luton, Portsmouth etc), so could have the away stand plus more of the west.

More home fans could be pushed into the north as needed then.
Barnet loyal

jlay72 wrote:Anyone thinking the new stand and increased capacity is not for the benefit of us and maybe another club further down the line? I would only ever see us filling the stadium on big FA Cup nights or if we went up a couple of leagues perhaps leading to increased attendances (bit of a stretch)
Where do you think this other club is currently you speak of?
becbee

Barnet loyal wrote:
jlay72 wrote:Anyone thinking the new stand and increased capacity is not for the benefit of us and maybe another club further down the line? I would only ever see us filling the stadium on big FA Cup nights or if we went up a couple of leagues perhaps leading to increased attendances (bit of a stretch)
I can think of a possible club but I'm not going to start unfounded rumour by suggesting it. Especially I could be well off the mark.
P.S. Not Wealdstone or Borehamwood!
HertsBee

Would anyone be able to do weekly update photos of progress of the new stand, maybe in it's own separate thread.
hoofer2

But with safe standing you have a designated place - so not freedom to roam as per regular standing terrace
BeesKnees

Cynical I know, but if supposedly the cost of stewarding was an issue for the terrace - why would you open another stand?

I'd rather they took out the seats of the old family section of the east stand tbh than have safe standing.

Would many be tempted to shift to behind the goal if it was seated?
Given our numbers I think we would get a better atmosphere if the home fans faced the away fans and are closer to the goal. It would also look better in the highlights and give a better impression of the clubs support.
Mem Beespod

ETBee wrote:
Wasn't it suggested that the current family area (not currently used for families or anybody else) on the east would become a standing area? Apart from the wind, rain and sunshine it would be perfect. I prefer to stand at games but on the side, not the end.
The club did investigate this but the cost of reconfiguring that side was considered too much bearing in mind the current East stand is going to be rebuilt in the future
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
ninestein

Whatever our thoughts on the old South Terrace, it's happening, so let's embrace the build, let's have the pictures and look at the positives...

The old terrace was literally "tinpot". It was a Wealdstone structure, designed to be dismantled easily... :hi: It screamed non-league, whereas the majority of the Hive as a complex deserves a better team playing at a better level. The new stand will make the stadium look far more balanced from inside, and yes when we are on TV it will look a lot better.

I stood there for a couple of cup games which were outside the scope of my membership, but the view wasn't brilliant. Hardly a vast bank of old school terracing behind the goal. The old West Bank was bigger. Even the Underhill North Terrace was steeper and gave a better elevation for fans to watch the game. My grandfather stood on the South Terrace and boy did he feel the chill.

The article says that the space inside will be used to create jobs. Not sure what the usage is intended to be, but that's a good thing.

A larger structure might help stop the wind whistling through as much, and retain the noise inside the stadium. I noticed on the plans some screens pencilled in on the West Stand? If so, that's long overdue.

Also, don't forget that other teams use the stadium, and this will add to the possibilities of accommodating more fans. Could give us opportunities to host more ladies finals and youth internationals.

If the opportunity comes further down the line for rail seating to he installed as part of a safe standing area, I'm sure we'll look at it. But we have to recognise that these ideas are still in their infancy in the UK. Hopefully the pilot schemes will work well andvthe authorities can roll it out more.

I know we all feel different, but for me, the access and parking to the site means more to me than the loss of the terrace.

But on the subject of terraces, maybe there is an idea for a thread in its own right celebrating the old lumps of concrete we used to stsnd on, and not just limited to Underhill. As someone in their early 40's, I grew up following the team at a time when the Taylor Report was just starting to get implemented. You found yourself wanting to visit grounds before they changed beyond recognition. There are some I'm glad i got to see, and some i could only imagine from looking at pictures.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
b4life

If you're a member of the Supporters Association, you've just been sent a poll about sitting or standing at the Hive. One of the main points against standing is that the club says very few people used it, Barnet fans have voted with their feet and sat in the Legends stand. Do you think that's true? Or is it that the old crap terrace put people off?
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
rudebwoyben

The old terrace was rubbish IMO. Metal steps and with minimal facilities at that end of the ground. A well-designed South Stand with safe terracing and a good range of facilities attached would be a much more attractive draw, that I would be willing to use.
eastbarnetsupporter

ninestein wrote:Whatever our thoughts on the old South Terrace, it's happening, so let's embrace the build, let's have the pictures and look at the positives...

The old terrace was literally "tinpot". It was a Wealdstone structure, designed to be dismantled easily... :hi: It screamed non-league, whereas the majority of the Hive as a complex deserves a better team playing at a better level. The new stand will make the stadium look far more balanced from inside, and yes when we are on TV it will look a lot better.

I stood there for a couple of cup games which were outside the scope of my membership, but the view wasn't brilliant. Hardly a vast bank of old school terracing behind the goal. The old West Bank was bigger. Even the Underhill North Terrace was steeper and gave a better elevation for fans to watch the game. My grandfather stood on the South Terrace and boy did he feel the chill.

The article says that the space inside will be used to create jobs. Not sure what the usage is intended to be, but that's a good thing.

A larger structure might help stop the wind whistling through as much, and retain the noise inside the stadium. I noticed on the plans some screens pencilled in on the West Stand? If so, that's long overdue.

Also, don't forget that other teams use the stadium, and this will add to the possibilities of accommodating more fans. Could give us opportunities to host more ladies finals and youth internationals.

If the opportunity comes further down the line for rail seating to he installed as part of a safe standing area, I'm sure we'll look at it. But we have to recognise that these ideas are still in their infancy in the UK. Hopefully the pilot schemes will work well andvthe authorities can roll it out more.

I know we all feel different, but for me, the access and parking to the site means more to me than the loss of the terrace.

But on the subject of terraces, maybe there is an idea for a thread in its own right celebrating the old lumps of concrete we used to stsnd on, and not just limited to Underhill. As someone in their early 40's, I grew up following the team at a time when the Taylor Report was just starting to get implemented. You found yourself wanting to visit grounds before they changed beyond recognition. There are some I'm glad i got to see, and some i could only imagine from looking at pictures.
Agree it wasn't an amazing terrace, the bare minimum really. Was a bit too shallow and views were basic but would still take that any day over sitting in the Legends stand. It's just more appealing to the younger demographic who want a more livelier setting.

Personally the East Terrace at Underhill was the one, as you stood on the sides with a good view of all the action, with a bit of a bank and a solid roof so the noise stayed in. Quite rare to find side terracing as you go up the leagues and abroad (normally active fans sing and shout from behind the goals in the 'curva').
hoofer2

b4life wrote:If you're a member of the Supporters Association, you've just been sent a poll about sitting or standing at the Hive. One of the main points against standing is that the club says very few people used it, Barnet fans have voted with their feet and sat in the Legends stand. Do you think that's true? Or is it that the old crap terrace put people off?
The main drawback for South Terrace was not having a Legends type bar- hence lower price fully justified. If a bar is available - I think the justification for lower price is lost as it's down to personal choice then to stand or sit - as availability facilities will be similar

Perhaps having a Terrace that could have railed seating installed is sensible?
DerekRocholl

Barnet loyal wrote:
Tottenham’s WSL team have had a home attendance of 4,681 at WHL and 2,900 at the Hive so far this season. Their average home attendance is 1,700. It’s not hard to envisage their gates growing as the Women’s game continues to grow in popularity and exposure.
StephenM

ninestein wrote:
My immediate thought on this subject was the away end at Layer Road. An away terrace that words struggle to do justice to, you just had to be there.