South Stand

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
EastBarnetFan

Re: South Stand

thebeekeeper wrote: 18 May 2022, 11:25
becbee wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:21 There are some fans for whom the attraction of lower / non league football is that they can meet their mates and stand. If it's
a straight choice between sitting in designated seats at a top league match or a lower league match, then the standard of football is relevant. Lower / non league clubs looking to improve their grounds should bear in mind the needs of the fans / potential fans.
Completely agree with this. I think a flaw in Barnet's – and a lot of lower league clubs' stadium developments - is that they try and make the whole experience a kind of 'Premier League light'. But I always think, why wouldn't you just go down to watch a top flight team if that's what you want? You'll get a better atmosphere at Fulham or Brentford for example, and not pay too much more.

Actually, the non-league / lower league clubs that really seem to be thriving are the ones who have differentiated themselves from the pack – terracing, supporter ownership, craft beer, cheaper tickets and a real connection with the local community etc. Look at Dulwich Hamlet getting an average attendance of over 2700 in the National League South.

Sometimes it's best to embrace the things that make you stand out, in a crowded market where the Premier League swallows all the air time.

I think back to my first game at Underhill in the mid-90s as a child. I wonder, all the things that made me fall in love with Barnet that day and kept me coming back... do those same qualities exist at The Hive for the youngsters of today?
Exactly this.

Embrace bring a small family club that plays average football (with the occasional banger) and is proud of who it is. Where is the equivalent of the old Central East Terrace pen or West Bank at The Hive? There isn't. The 'Bees Terrace' was something but very limited, such as having no bar or facilities to make it appealing and more full.
simples169

I thought the new south stand would be an enhanced version of the North stand and the East stand would be turned into the new standing east terrace?
Was that not on the original Hive upgrade plans?

Thrtr needs to be a standing area, not everyone can or feels comfortable sitting or being high up in a stand, plus its traditional and closer to the action.

Probably will not happen seeing as standing is cheaper and that is the price away fans would have to pay so its all due to finances rather than the supporter experience.
thebeekeeper

simples169 wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 11:14 I thought the new south stand would be an enhanced version of the North stand and the East stand would be turned into the new standing east terrace?
Was that not on the original Hive upgrade plans?

Thrtr needs to be a standing area, not everyone can or feels comfortable sitting or being high up in a stand, plus its traditional and closer to the action.

Probably will not happen seeing as standing is cheaper and that is the price away fans would have to pay so its all due to finances rather than the supporter experience.
It sounds like the Supporters' Association are already discussing this with the club, but I completely agree that a standing area is essential.

Even top level clubs are now looking to embrace safe standing, we would be mad not to factor it into anything we build.

I understand that it may be a question of the funding we can receive if the new stand isn't seated, which does complicate things somewhat.

But, if that's the case, perhaps we can turn the East Stand into a terrace and relocate the hospitality / directors' seats?

Whatever the solution, there really should be a terrace somewhere in the ground.

It would certainly be nice to get some kind of update on the plans from the club.
hoppy

I echo your comments beekeeper, in particular your final paragraph.
Come on TK… give us an update please.
becbee

I can understand why it might be complicated to incorporate a standing area into the South Stand and in any case, safe standing still means having to stand in set places anyway. I completely agree that the East Stand should be turned into a terrace. It's all a bit of a white elephant at present, the attempt to make a family Bees Zone never worked. It would be good to just have a open terrace there instead.
hoofer2

I think someone mentioned earlier that you can only get a grant for a seated stand. Until the authorities change the rules to include safe standing too, I guess the stand will match the away stand. Let's hope it could be adapted at a later date. Longer term.....the East Stand having standing all along would be great
Mem Beespod

As someone has mentioned the supporter’s association have been speaking to the club about this for a number of months. The club did do look into converting the East stand into a terrace but the cost of converting it was considered to be excessive and a waste of money as the club has plans to remodel the whole building. It would only be up for a couple of years.

Long term the south stand is the build we can influence and our stance is that there needs to be a standing area in it.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
Lord Bee

Sounds sensible. Thanks for the update
Mikel Bee

Safe standing is becoming ever more present at the top of the game.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... dApp_Other

I urge the club to look at this again, ideally with the new South Stand in mind. It's something many of our fans have asked for since the loss of the old terrace. Fans want to stand and create atmosphere.

THL has always been touted as a modern facility, let's not fall behind!
11bee717

Mikel Bee wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 18:51 Safe standing is becoming ever more present at the top of the game.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... dApp_Other

I urge the club to look at this again, ideally with the new South Stand in mind. It's something many of our fans have asked for since the loss of the old terrace. Fans want to stand and create atmosphere.

THL has always been touted as a modern facility, let's not fall behind!
Especially now with some noise finally being created at the hive last season
shankbee01

It would be the most Barnet thing ever to complete an all seater stadium in the same moment standing in all grounds including the Prem come back in vogue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amberforever

shankbee01 wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 13:56 It would be the most Barnet thing ever to complete an all seater stadium in the same moment standing in all grounds including the Prem come back in vogue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With blue seats as per Underhill. :-)
hoofer2

I thought one of the impediments for safe standing is that if a football club wants to apply for a grant for building a new stand, the grant does not allow for "safe standing" at the moment.
amberforever

Love to see this in the new stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNC3-MwkdQ4
thebeekeeper

We absolutely must have standing somewhere in the ground, but I suspect that TK will be reticent to include it in the new stand if it precludes us from getting certain grants.

QPR have clearly taken out seats from an existing stand and replaced them with safe standing - is there any reason why we couldn't do this?