South Stand

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Mem Beespod

Re: South Stand

Anthony wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 12:21
Mem Beespod wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 09:31
Anthony wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 19:01
What we need to do is concentrate on putting an argument together for the planned redevelopment of the East Stand and try and get a decent terrace put in there, running down the side of the pitch. That is where the real prize is.
I believe we answered this when I was on the BFCSA. The main building is going to eventually go as it was inherited and poorly designed as part of a stadium. I believe some of the offices will go into the new south stand. TK looked into converting the east side into a terrace but bearing in mind the building’s days are numbered, it would’ve been a massive waste of money. I think it was something like £800k to convert. Personally I’d rather that money was invested into the team
I think you have misunderstood me.

My suggestion is that when that building goes, which it will do in the future, we try and push for a decent terrace to be built there - not that we try for a terrace right now.

This seems a better strategy than playing our cards pursuing safe standing in the south stand - which is always going to be rubbish (behind the goal) and unnecessary (the stand will be so empty for years to come you will be able to stand there anyway).

I'd imagine not having any standing in the south stand would strengthen the argument for an alternative (i.e terrace) provision to be made running alongside the sideline - which is likely to be more full of standing people than the safe standing provision behind the goal for the simple reason that people prefer being on the sidelines, and that those who wish to sit on the sidelines have the Legends stand option.
I’m not sure TK will want the more vociferous supporters standing just below him in a new stand. The new building will probably house the director’s box and executive boxes
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
DerekRocholl

The way things are going the issue of whether there is standing accommodation or not anywhere in the ground is irrelevant, unless it is in the West Stand. With attendances as they are why would TK start opening up stands that he closed to save money ?
bfc_mo

Any updates on when they will start? I saw a tractor in the hive in the 4g pitch close to the old terrace.
Mikel Bee

bfc_mo wrote: 04 Nov 2022, 19:05 Any updates on when they will start? I saw a tractor in the hive in the 4g pitch close to the old terrace.
There are loads of bulldozers and large excavation works going on on the other side of the river. Assuming new 4g pitches will go there and they ae removing/relaying the old ones by the car park?
thebeekeeper

DerekRocholl wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 15:08 The way things are going the issue of whether there is standing accommodation or not anywhere in the ground is irrelevant, unless it is in the West Stand. With attendances as they are why would TK start opening up stands that he closed to save money ?
I must say, I do find the strategy behind The Hive's development puzzling. There's clearly plenty of thought being put into the site - and investment too, with the new stand. But there seems absolutely no desire to try and grow attendances, or even to retain current attendees.

It just seems so counter productive, to build a stadium that is getting bigger and bigger, while crowds get smaller. That reduces the atmosphere (making it a less appealing experience) and of course doesn't provide a return on the infrastructure investment.

Is there some I'm missing? Could an additional tenant (rugby club etc) be in line to arrive at The Hive? I'm struggling to see the logic otherwise.
CrawleyBee

thebeekeeper wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 07:43
DerekRocholl wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 15:08 The way things are going the issue of whether there is standing accommodation or not anywhere in the ground is irrelevant, unless it is in the West Stand. With attendances as they are why would TK start opening up stands that he closed to save money ?
I must say, I do find the strategy behind The Hive's development puzzling. There's clearly plenty of thought being put into the site - and investment too, with the new stand. But there seems absolutely no desire to try and grow attendances, or even to retain current attendees.

It just seems so counter productive, to build a stadium that is getting bigger and bigger, while crowds get smaller. That reduces the atmosphere (making it a less appealing experience) and of course doesn't provide a return on the infrastructure investment.

Is there some I'm missing? Could an additional tenant (rugby club etc) be in line to arrive at The Hive? I'm struggling to see the logic otherwise.

Exactly another empty stand. Pointless, sure some will say will bring in money etc zzzz boring. Look after the small number of fans we do have.
Formerly Watfordbee
hoofer2

I wouldn't be surprised if Wasps rock up The Hive at some point
thebeekeeper

hoofer2 wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 10:05

I must say I've wondered this too, a return to the London area would potentially make sense for them.
hoppy

Do wasps and bees get on?
BEEGONE

thebeekeeper wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 10:10

I must say I've wondered this too, a return to the London area would potentially make sense for them.
This is more likely now that the RUF has dropped the 10,001 capacity rule for next season.
bfc_mo

Any updates?
eastbarnetsupporter

The lack of updates is quite concerning, and it really does make the ground feel tinpot with this empty end. With 90% of home fans in the Legends stand, we're all looking out onto empty seats and nothingness. Hardly inspiring for newcomers.

Not that we need a bigger capacity by any means, but completing the end is important
pgbee

We look forward to the beginning of the end...
ETBee

eastbarnetsupporter wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 11:18 The lack of updates is quite concerning, and it really does make the ground feel tinpot with this empty end. With 90% of home fans in the Legends stand, we're all looking out onto empty seats and nothingness. Hardly inspiring for newcomers.

Not that we need a bigger capacity by any means, but completing the end is important
I wrote to the club about 3 months ago and asked for an update on the development of the south stand. They replied that when there was something to say they'd tell us. I'm sure it would be beyond the wit of the new comms guy to prepare a short piece to summarise what the plans are for the stadium and surrounding land and a timescale for any actions. We're all grown up enough to know that some things take time because of planning, finance, contracts etc so if they are spelled out we'd understand.
Mikel Bee

Being done in the summer according to the latest update.

https://www.barnetfc.com/update-to-supporters