Bromley (Hive) The Match Thread Raven Goodbye to Mediocrity

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolkbee

Re: Bromley (Hive) The Match Thread Raven Goodbye to Mediocrity

Ajtheone04 wrote: 16 May 2022, 20:01
Sam_BFC wrote: 16 May 2022, 15:27 Also am pretty sure that similar reports of players "not wanting to be here" go back at least as far as the John Still era.
Harry Taylor put an end of season picture on Instagram
Alfie Pavey: free H
Liked by callum Reynolds
Boy do these non league footballers cause trouble, there's backing your mates but some of the stuff I've seen Pavey come out with is crazy
It's all a big game some of them at this time of year. They just try to get themselves noticed in the hope that their agents can get them fixed up so they can steal a living as a footballer for another season. The reality strikes home when mid-July arrives, bill need paying and weeks of trial matches have produced nothing. Maybe is wasn't such a great idea to get on the wrong side of potential employers after all. Suddenly life in the Isthmian or Southern League looms large
ninestein

That would be the Alfie Pavey who was relegated with Dover, and the Callum Reynolds who missed out on the playoffs with Dagenham.

Do clubs not educate these so-called professionals on how to manage their digital profile?
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
DerekRocholl

Sam_BFC wrote: 16 May 2022, 15:27 Also am pretty sure that similar reports of players "not wanting to be here" go back at least as far as the John Still era.
There is a common dominator in place to explain this on a long term basis, but as far as this season is concerned it is hard to conceive that the terrible handling of the racism allegation and subsequent suspension of the club’s captain didn’t compound things. It really tested my desire to continue supporting the club.
CrawleyBee

Only Martin Allen and to some extent Currie have managed to bring connection between the fans and the players.
Formerly Watfordbee
Roy57

john dockers shorts wrote: 15 May 2022, 19:43 We actually played some good football at times but GK was comedy...gifting Bromley.

Good player awards afterwards

Spoke with Daniel Powell he said it was a cross that went in! Decent guy , also BRE nice chap.
When I first watched what appeared a shocking mistake from our keeper if you watch it back the strike was not the best but just before it reached our keeper it but something and bobbled up something cronic, not saying it was not a keeper mistake but the pitch at the Hive needs some series work this summer.
becbee

I've not watched it back but at the time it looked like a shocking mistake. However shortly afterwards Bromley should have had a penalty but the referee for some reason didn't give it - so to my mind the two events cancelled each other out.
#Beebot

Ajtheone04 wrote:
Harry Taylor put an end of season picture on Instagram
Alfie Pavey: free H
Liked by callum Reynolds
Boy do these non league footballers cause trouble, there's backing your mates but some of the stuff I've seen Pavey come out with is crazy
Pavey whines about us all day long.
Norfolkbee

Pavey has been held back by his limited ability. End of!
Roy57

Mikel Bee wrote: 16 May 2022, 16:04
Sam_BFC wrote:Also am pretty sure that similar reports of players "not wanting to be here" go back at least as far as the John Still era.
Indeed. I remember many a Currie interview where he alluded to the same.
Do agree but when we reached the play offs with Darren and the FA cup run we had with the win at Sheffield Utd and the game at the Hive against Brentford I just felt we were for the first time since Martin Allen on the right track. Darren had the connection we needed between club and supporters. During the games and season mentioned above Darren had the backing of vast majority of players unlike now. He had players who wanted to play for him and our club which these performances showed. Think many supporters feel we are miles away from were we was heading when Darren was with us. And from keeper in Scott Loach to defenders like Sweeney etc those players were far superior to what we have had since he left. But do agree this coming season is huge for not just TK but the club as a whole, because it DB doesn't get or fails to bring in far better quality players who actually want to be at our club. then this could well be the start of the end of Barnet FC. As the number of supporters has been dwindling for last few years and if Dean and TK don't get it right this summer then high chance the attendance will be heading for say below a thousand. Which will result in us heading to national league south. So over to you TK and Dean Brennan. Our club and possibility survival are in your hands.
thebeekeeper

Roy57 wrote: 19 May 2022, 14:58
Mikel Bee wrote: 16 May 2022, 16:04
Sam_BFC wrote:Also am pretty sure that similar reports of players "not wanting to be here" go back at least as far as the John Still era.
Indeed. I remember many a Currie interview where he alluded to the same.
Do agree but when we reached the play offs with Darren and the FA cup run we had with the win at Sheffield Utd and the game at the Hive against Brentford I just felt we were for the first time since Martin Allen on the right track. Darren had the connection we needed between club and supporters. During the games and season mentioned above Darren had the backing of vast majority of players unlike now. He had players who wanted to play for him and our club which these performances showed. Think many supporters feel we are miles away from were we was heading when Darren was with us. And from keeper in Scott Loach to defenders like Sweeney etc those players were far superior to what we have had since he left. But do agree this coming season is huge for not just TK but the club as a whole, because it DB doesn't get or fails to bring in far better quality players who actually want to be at our club. then this could well be the start of the end of Barnet FC. As the number of supporters has been dwindling for last few years and if Dean and TK don't get it right this summer then high chance the attendance will be heading for say below a thousand. Which will result in us heading to national league south. So over to you TK and Dean Brennan. Our club and possibility survival are in your hands.
I think it's worth noting that it may be more about finances than the man at the helm. I believe MA won the title when we still had EFL parachute payments in 14-15 (I think that would have been the second and final year of them, so we were fortunate to go up then), followed by an increased budget when we were in League Two.

Similarly, while DC deserves plenty of credit, he was also operating in our final year of post-relegation parachute payments. The budget has been slashed so dramatically since then (most obviously last season, when the squad was clearly put together on a shoestring) – so being successful and building that relationship with supporters is going to be difficult for whoever is in charge.

Ultimately, as a fanbase we expect this club to be in League Two, or at the very least challenging in the top 7 of the National League. But the financial backing we are currently receiving doesn't seem to match those aspirations.

That's not me blaming anyone, by the way – TK is under no obligations to spend more than he's receiving from the club. But either a) he invests more, b) DB is remarkably shrewd in the transfer market and gets us punching above our weight or c) we continue to have an unhappy set of supporters – and there's the risk of increasingly lower attendances as a result.

I'm certainly fascinated to see how we approach the summer, though it would be great to hear from TK himself (how about an in-person Q&A?) about his short-term and long-terms aims for the club.
Beesting

This hugely reduced budget rumours, who has that come from at the club? What club in this league is our budget comparative with?
Tuesds

Beesting wrote: 19 May 2022, 16:02 This hugely reduced budget rumours, who has that come from at the club? What club in this league is our budget comparative with?
I don’t think they’re mere rumours that we’ve slashed our budget since the loss of the parachute payment, e.g.:

https://www.barnetfc.com/club-statement-10

And

https://www.barnetfc.com/club-statement-9
thebeekeeper

Tuesds wrote: 19 May 2022, 16:22
Beesting wrote: 19 May 2022, 16:02 This hugely reduced budget rumours, who has that come from at the club? What club in this league is our budget comparative with?
I don’t think they’re mere rumours that we’ve slashed our budget since the loss of the parachute payment, e.g.:

https://www.barnetfc.com/club-statement-10

And

https://www.barnetfc.com/club-statement-9
I think it's also clear just from the calibre of player turning out for us now. I remember thinking last season that I never really rated Che Alexander in 19-20... But he would have been our best player in 20-21!

From the way DB has spoken about multiple 'tiers' within this division, my guess is that our budget this season is in the bottom third of the league. He may be embellishing that, of course - but it must be in the bottom half at least.
Tuesds

Alexander is a case in point. He was a star player at Aldershot, with whom he’d just made the playoffs, and who wanted to keep him. But we obviously offered more money and pinched him from them, just like we took Callum Reynolds off them too. The notion of us nicking the best players from any of the play-off sides this season is just fanciful. What is likely, however, is that one of them takes Marriott from us.

I remember commenting last summer that the signings we were making (thinking of Brundle, Payne, Bloomfield…) had a real Aldershot/Woking/Maidenhead feel about them. Sure enough, we had a real Aldershot/Woking/Maidenhead-type season.

We’re suddenly a world away from the position we were in 2 or 3 years ago, and even that didn’t feel brilliant…

Sad!