2022/23 Season Tickets

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
thebeekeeper

Re: 2022/23 Season Tickets

Underhill Glory wrote: 29 May 2022, 22:17
thebeekeeper wrote: 29 May 2022, 17:40
tonbridgebee wrote: 28 May 2022, 22:53
b4life wrote: 28 May 2022, 18:50 The supporters association is in proactive dialogue with the club regarding season tickets. Watch this space.
Good stuff Mark, I hope he actually listens because I've seen very little across here and social media to suggest we're even gonna get close to the same number of sold tickets for this last season. Oh, and while you're there ask him why he's cut the budget from last year......
A budget cut would be absolute madness, if anything the budget needs to increase by a significant amount to get us anywhere close to competitive in this division!

Is anyone else getting a 'last days of Rome' feel about TK's tenure as Barnet owner?

It feels like everything is trending in the wrong direction – he perhaps doesn't have the desire or financial muscle to get us back into the EFL, and maybe he's a little short on ideas in terms of growing the club too (hence, the 'squeeze what you can out of the existing fans' ST prices, rather than anything more innovative).

It's all just feels very 'poundland', no? Even down to the unimpressive kits we essentially had made ourselves (rather than using a sportswear brand) last season. We don't run an away coach, we don't run a shuttle bus, we don't run a proper academy...

Maybe I'm wrong, but there was even a rumour of a potential takeover a few weeks ago. Could this be TK cutting things to the bone before a sale, a la Mike Ashley at Newcastle?
I think it is wise to take a long pause and a cuppa before believing random rumours on the internet. We've seen it so many times lately. Those who claim to have inside knowledge are more often proved wrong than right.
Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that those rumours were accurate - more that recent events could be in line with the kind of behaviour which may come before a sale.
ninestein

TK is not the type of owner who will wave the blank chequebook in order to gamble on success.

We've dropped out of the FL, and are cutting our cloth no different to any other club in the division who is not benefitting from any FL parachute payments. We're likely to have an average NL budget, and hope that DB can "get it right" and be that side which emulates what Sutton and Harrogate recently done. The trouble is, there's around 15 other clubs hoping to do the same, underneath the likely challengers of Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts County etc. How the relegated clubs Oldham and Scunthorpe fare reamins to be seen. Then there will be a few clubs who know their reslistic target is survival.

If we averaged 3,000 fans every week the picture would be different. But we are not blessed with a large core base of fans, and that's not going to change unless we experience some sustained success and it becomes "fashionable" to be a Barnet fan once again. We can debate the season ticket deals until the cows come home, but ultimately it's sustained success and feel-good factor which will get fans through the turnstiles. People need to look forward to the next home fixture. Shrewd recruitment will be important more than ever this summer.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
thebeekeeper

ninestein wrote: 29 May 2022, 22:29 TK is not the type of owner who will wave the blank chequebook in order to gamble on success.

We've dropped out of the FL, and are cutting our cloth no different to any other club in the division who is not benefitting from any FL parachute payments. We're likely to have an average NL budget, and hope that DB can "get it right" and be that side which emulates what Sutton and Harrogate recently done. The trouble is, there's around 15 other clubs hoping to do the same, underneath the likely challengers of Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts County etc. How the relegated clubs Oldham and Scunthorpe fare reamins to be seen. Then there will be a few clubs who know their reslistic target is survival.

If we averaged 3,000 fans every week the picture would be different. But we are not blessed with a large core base of fans, and that's not going to change unless we experience some sustained success and it becomes "fashionable" to be a Barnet fan once again. We can debate the season ticket deals until the cows come home, but ultimately it's sustained success and feel-good factor which will get fans through the turnstiles. People need to look forward to the next home fixture. Shrewd recruitment will be important more than ever this summer.

You're absolutely right I think, TK shouldn't have to splash the cash – every club should be living within their means.

But, I think the question of why our resources are so paltry needs to be asked? Wasn't the whole point of moving to The Hive meant to be that other revenue streams would allow us to punch above our level?

Could it be that low crowds are a result of that move, the on-the-pitch mess, the ticket prices and the way fans have been treated over the years?

That puts a slightly different complexion on things. Essentially, TK shouldn't have to dip into his own pocket – but he is also the cause of why we are where we are, and should take responsibility for that / act accordingly.
Tuesds

thebeekeeper wrote: 30 May 2022, 11:42
ninestein wrote: 29 May 2022, 22:29 TK is not the type of owner who will wave the blank chequebook in order to gamble on success.

You're absolutely right I think, TK shouldn't have to splash the cash – every club should be living within their means.

But, I think the question of why our resources are so paltry needs to be asked? Wasn't the whole point of moving to The Hive meant to be that other revenue streams would allow us to punch above our level?

Could it be that low crowds are a result of that move, the on-the-pitch mess, the ticket prices and the way fans have been treated over the years?

That puts a slightly different complexion on things. Essentially, TK shouldn't have to dip into his own pocket – but he is also the cause of why we are where we are, and should take responsibility for that / act accordingly.
Yes, spot on. I think we often miss the fact that lower league and non-league football is booming. Crowds are up all over the place. But not at The Hive. Our crowds have declined quite notably, but our relative fall has been even greater than it appears on the face of it, due to everyone else’s attendances going in the other direction.

I note this as someone who has never been anti-The Hive, and indeed I thought we could make progress there. I’m being proven wrong at the moment. I still have some hope/faith that decline there is not inevitable. If Kleanthous feels the same I bloody well hope he is determined to show it.

And I don’t mean by splashing the cash on players whose wages we can’t support as a club, but rather via concerted, strategic efforts to increase our fan base in the near and longer term.
Roy57

ninestein wrote: 29 May 2022, 22:29

Yes, spot on. I think we often miss the fact that lower league and non-league football is booming. Crowds are up all over the place. But not at The Hive. Our crowds have declined quite notably, but our relative fall has been even greater than it appears on the face of it, due to everyone else’s attendances going in the other direction.

I note this as someone who has never been anti-The Hive, and indeed I thought we could make progress there. I’m being proven wrong at the moment. I still have some hope/faith that decline there is not inevitable. If Kleanthous feels the same I bloody well hope he is determined to show it.

And I don’t mean by splashing the cash on players whose wages we can’t support as a club, but rather via concerted, strategic efforts to increase our fan base in the near and longer term.
Agree with this and the two posts connected to it. But your last section that TK should not splash the cash on players whose wages the club cannot substain. But unless the quality of players hugely improve, and the football from the last two years which at times you could see on a local park on a sunday and supporters are expected to pay £23 to watch then the attendance won't raise to 2000 which TK has mentioned would benefit the club with the budget he would see the club have. So with attendances getting nearer to a 1000 than 2000 then the players we all wish to see at our club just won't materialise, think next season will be better than the last two but mid table will be a achievement. It's a catch 2# situation.
ninestein

Indeed. It is a vicious circle. Steady, but definite improvement year on year is what we need.

As much as this season wasn't much to write home about, I'd argue that it was still better than last year. Next season we need to see another step forwards. What does that look like? What is realistic? An improved points total? Break the 60 barrier and achieve a top half finish? Starting to look up and dream, as opposed to looking below with fear... Have tighter games against teams in the top 5? A settled side week in week out. Granted, none of this guarantees even a playoff place, let alone promotion, but it's still progress and something we can buy into long term as fans. This is the sort of progress other clubs are looking for. A 2-3 year plan to build a settled side with players we can identify with, and grow into a successful team capable of challenging.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
becbee

The season before last was abysmal but with Lockdown at least we couldn't actually go to matches. Watching the streamings felt like going through the motions.

Last season just had to be an improvement and in fact parts of last season were good.

What was not was the Harry Kewell 7 match period, the loss of form following lack of match time at the turn of the year due to Covid, the fallout from the Stockport racism claim and the total capitulation v Wrexham, Stockport, Notts Co, D&R.

Given that the first 3 of these should never happen again and the 4th should be completely avoidable, next season ought to be better almost by default. But there again, it will need to be. We won't be able to rely on the relegation spaces being sewn up with clubs way below NL standard as we did last season. The 50 points we finished with might not be enough to guarantee avoiding "sticky bum time" as they were last season.
tonbridgebee

Underhill Glory wrote: 29 May 2022, 22:17
thebeekeeper wrote: 29 May 2022, 17:40
tonbridgebee wrote: 28 May 2022, 22:53
b4life wrote: 28 May 2022, 18:50 The supporters association is in proactive dialogue with the club regarding season tickets. Watch this space.
Good stuff Mark, I hope he actually listens because I've seen very little across here and social media to suggest we're even gonna get close to the same number of sold tickets for this last season. Oh, and while you're there ask him why he's cut the budget from last year......
A budget cut would be absolute madness, if anything the budget needs to increase by a significant amount to get us anywhere close to competitive in this division!

Is anyone else getting a 'last days of Rome' feel about TK's tenure as Barnet owner?

It feels like everything is trending in the wrong direction – he perhaps doesn't have the desire or financial muscle to get us back into the EFL, and maybe he's a little short on ideas in terms of growing the club too (hence, the 'squeeze what you can out of the existing fans' ST prices, rather than anything more innovative).

It's all just feels very 'poundland', no? Even down to the unimpressive kits we essentially had made ourselves (rather than using a sportswear brand) last season. We don't run an away coach, we don't run a shuttle bus, we don't run a proper academy...

Maybe I'm wrong, but there was even a rumour of a potential takeover a few weeks ago. Could this be TK cutting things to the bone before a sale, a la Mike Ashley at Newcastle?
I think it is wise to take a long pause and a cuppa before believing random rumours on the internet. We've seen it so many times lately. Those who claim to have inside knowledge are more often proved wrong than right.
My 'inside knowledge' came from the man who has the budget to spend so unless he's got a reason to tell porkies, I'll take that as the truth and not a random rumour :hi: :Drink1:
antbfc

To be fair any manager would want to play down their budget.
b4life

Just for balance, it should be noted that DB referred to a 'brilliant' bonus scheme for the players next season at the End of Season awards, which I believe may account for a slightly smaller basic budget but with much more opportunity for players to earn more. Sounds good to me, might stop some of the 'coasting' of players. If we do well, then the budget could be more than last season.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
becbee

b4life wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 08:25 Just for balance, it should be noted that DB referred to a 'brilliant' bonus scheme for the players next season at the End of Season awards, which I believe may account for a slightly smaller basic budget but with much more opportunity for players to earn more. Sounds good to me, might stop some of the 'coasting' of players. If we do well, then the budget could be more than last season.
I think that sounds the way to go. In any job it's galling to see colleagues being paid the same or even more than you are when you are working hard whilst they are swinging the lead.( I remember that one first hand!) It also gives the less diligent an incentive to try a bit harder.
In football terms, it gives those who need it financial incentive to get out of the treatment room.
hoofer2

The way we have been collecting players in recent seasons, I would not be surprised to find ourselves in top half of National League spending / budgets.

In hindsight, a higher initial budget may have mitigated against lesser performances, injuries, quality over quantity.

But we saw with Tarpey - injuries can happen at any time to any player. This is where the strength of the squad plays a part.

I don't attend enough matches to justify a season ticket - but if I could attend more - it is better to average £17 than £23. Given it can cost £12 for a seat at Cineworld now - the cost of everything has gone up - and £17 not bad.

The crowds were on a significant downward trajectory at Underhill too due to woeful football. In my opinion relegation played as big a part as The Hive. Had we stayed up - Edgar Davids may have committed more with The Hive rocking. We'll never know
Last edited by hoofer2 on 01 Jun 2022, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
finchleyman

Besides the poor football, the whole matchday experience at the Hive is off-putting. I have been blathering on about this for a long time now. It doesn't cost £10 to park the car at Cineworld. No programmes, the food is dreadful, the beer is like cray's piss, the Legends bar is cavernous and uninviting, the service in the bar is poor, the seats in the stadium are uncomfortable (well, mine is anyway) and it is cold and windy in the stadium. I am not renewing my season ticket this year (which is the first time for about fourty years).
hoofer2

finchleyman wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 13:36 Besides the poor football, the whole matchday experience at the Hive is off-putting. I have been blathering on about this for a long time now. It doesn't cost £10 to park the car at Cineworld. No programmes, the food is dreadful, the beer is like cray's piss, the Legends bar is cavernous and uninviting, the service in the bar is poor, the seats in the stadium are uncomfortable (well, mine is anyway) and it is cold and windy in the stadium. I am not renewing my season ticket this year (which is the first time for about fourty years).
That descibes the Cineworld Hemel experience too :) seat and screens are good - and I guess parking is free....
becbee

The pedant in me would point out that it doesn't cost £10 to park at The Hive either. I agree that £8 is unreasonable but it's an expense that need not be incurred by those able to walk short distances.

Do any of the NL clubs still sell paper programmes? I went to over half the away matches last season and don't recall seeing any programmes.

Is the food any worse than that on offer at other NL grounds? The only time last season I tried to buy food was at Solihull where all that was available to away fans was crisps and chocolate bars.

No idea what your problem is with the seats. Try Wealdstone's ground for awful seats. Or Bromley where there are no seats available for away fans.

My complaint is that the Main Stand is in the shade. The away fans get the sun. But it's less cold and windy than Oxford Utd and Shrewsbury ( now they were really windy for away fans).